• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS3 crashes upon launch

New Here ,
May 04, 2007 May 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other applications in CS3 launch fine. Anyone else have this problem?

(Windows XP Media Center Edition)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 117 Replies 117
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2007 May 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to give a lot more detail.

How far does it get? Any error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2007 May 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. InDesign gives me the "this program as encountered an unexpected error" when it reaches the "executing startup services" stage of the launch process. I have already repaired the installation, uninstalled and reinstalled, and cleaned out all temporary files. All other CS3 programs work without a problem, but InDesign has never launched. All CS2 programs worked on the system without a problem.

Windows XP - with all service packs and updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 06, 2007 May 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's the first time you're launching InDesign CS3 or Illustrator CS3, note that it will crash on launch if your selected default printer is not currently available. (A bug just identified late on Friday.)

Let us know if this was your problem.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6 Creative Cloud edition crashing on first launch :

Problem apparently solved by SIMPLY turning ON the default printer !

🙂 Boy was I happy to find this thread.

(Windows XP pro)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two weeks ago, tried to solve a problem with InDesign CS6 by using the Windows control panel, uninstalling the software, downloading a new install image from the Adobe website, and reinstalling it. When I tried to launch InDesign again, it got most of the way through startup, showed an empty  white box, and then abruptly quit. With our Help Desk supervising me, deleted all of my preferences, ran an error check on the hard disk directory structure, and reinstalled. The most I was able to do was to open an INDD file, only immediately get the "Save changes before closing?" dialog box, without the option to cancel the closure.

Got a tech from the Help Desk to log in as an Administrator and try launching InDesign using their user profile, not my limited-rights profile.  Same thing happened. InDesign crashed or closed on launch. So user profile was not to blame.

Got the advice on this forum to download an Adobe CC Cleaner script, which would have wiped all Adobe apps off my computer and cleaned the Windows registry. Have used it on my own computer before when InDesign CS3 gave the old "Licensing has stopped working" message.

Uh oh. I work for a large, taxpayer funded agency and their IT department balked at the idea of having to reinstall InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat Pro (due to budget issues, all were installed separately).

We solved the problem this morning: InDesign was stumbling on its Welcome Screen at startup. I usually run it with that disabled, but never got the chance to set my preferences because of the crashes.

A technician temporarily disabled one of our organization's plugins that prevents unauthorized uses from installing software; and the tech then uninstalled and reinstalled one more time. InDesign launched and stayed open!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All well and good but what does it have to do with CS3 and why did you post in a four year old thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Looking for some pointers with CS3 indesign.

I am happy with CS3 indesign, runs well on mavericks. I know the keys and commands, getting old 🙂

I did a stupid thing and decided to update CS3indesign to 5.0.4 as a wonderful customer sent me a back saved CS4 indesign file which i know does not work. Now I have the 'plugin error crash' which I can't get rid of. Don't really want to reinstall CS3.

Any nice fixes happen over the years - i know the issue happens... quite a few years ago I fix it with a reinstall. But I can't de-register software now as adobe profile account has been upgraded and I can't contact support to get my software deactivated and so can reactivate when i reinstall.....

Look forward to your comments. regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay, fixed it. Sweet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For community:

The update patch takes a very long time to run, very long. So, don't stop it, don't do other things... Also, run disk repair until it tells you with green words that life is ok. Then run permission repair until you are bored...

Hey presto, CS3 indesign is happy again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2007 May 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem as well, and the default printer bug was it!

A pretty serious bug, for a final release! I don't even have a printer at home, so by default I have the Print Spooler service disabled.

I was all set to send CS3 back to Adobe and get a refund!

I had to install a virtual printer (and run the Print Spooler service) to get it to work.

Any news on a patch for this bug?

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2007 May 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, but the printer default is not the issue.

I've run all updates, and I've uninstalled and re-installed several times.

It installed fine on another computer. Any way to track down the conflict?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2007 May 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.
InDesign hangs on "Starting up Service Registry"
All other CS3 programs works.
I've installed 2 different printers.
I've installed on 2 simular computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=328886

You might also try deleting the adobefnt*.lst files.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-> Peter

Deleting all adobefnt*.lst files on harddrive did not do the job.

/Asger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you look at the KB techdoc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i have done all regarding InDesign on Windows XP computers.

/Asger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting those files did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My startup problem was not a result of the printer error either. I uninstalled, reinstalled and repaired my installation countless times, with the printers on and off. I cleaned the registry as well as the temp files, but still no success.

Then I installed Perfectdisk RX Suite, ran the basic scans, and was shocked when In Design CS3 started right up!! The Perfectdisk program was a trial program which I then uninstalled after a couple of weeks, and found that InDesign would not start - the error came when the program was almost finished installing - the interface was on the screen, then it would report an error and shut down.
I reinstalled the Perfectdisk RX Suite program, and InDesign started up without a problem!!

No, I do not understand this...but InDesign is working for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James

Installing and running Perfectdisk RX Suite did not solve the problem.

/Asger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2007 May 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved if you do this

Delete this folder

%programfiles%\Common Files\Adobe\SING

--
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2007 May 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-> Mark

You the man!

I works!

Do you know what the Sing folder contains eg. what it is used for?

/Asger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 26, 2007 May 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SING is a technology for dynamically adding glyphs to fonts as needed. The CS2/CS3 version only works with East Asian fonts in InDesign (and only CID-keyed OpenType CFF at that). So, if you are unlikely to be working with East Asian documents, you could safely delete it.

Is anything else interesting about your installation? Are there non-ASCII characters in the SING folder path? What language version of InDesign are you running? What language version of Windows?

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2007 May 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My printer works fine, and the indesign hang opon start. "Starting up Service Registry"

What should I do...

"Solved the problem, just remove the SING plugin..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2007 Jun 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming the SING folder to SING.bak made it start for me as well.

I'm running a Danish version of XP SP2 and common files is named "Fælles filer" on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines