Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign: Drop Shadow Knocking Out of Background

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have an InDesign file where I am placing my company logo (created in Illustrator). The logo has a drop shadow at the foot which, in this new file, is not working correctly. It appears (to me at least) like the drop shadow is being knocked out of the objects behind it:

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 09.09.37.png

This has not been an issue previously:

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 09.03.39.png

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

Appreciate the community's help.

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

As roaringmousegraphics suggests it sounds like a blending mode error is causing this. It's unclear to me whether you have the shadow applied in the Illustrator file itself or if you're applying the drop shadow after importing the logo into InDesign. The screen shots below show where to check the blending mode for your drop shadow both in Illustrator (on the left) or InDesign (on the right). To check whether a previously applied drop shadow has the correct blending mode in Illustrator select the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is display performance set to high-quality?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what it would look like if your Illustrator graphic's drop shadow was set to Normal instead of Multiply. Did it get changed accidentally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As roaringmousegraphics suggests it sounds like a blending mode error is causing this. It's unclear to me whether you have the shadow applied in the Illustrator file itself or if you're applying the drop shadow after importing the logo into InDesign. The screen shots below show where to check the blending mode for your drop shadow both in Illustrator (on the left) or InDesign (on the right). To check whether a previously applied drop shadow has the correct blending mode in Illustrator select the object with the drop shadow and then open the Appearance Panel and double-click on the entry found there for Drop Shadow. To check whether a previously applied drop shadow has the correct blending mode in InDesign select the object with the drop shadow, open the Effects Panel and double-click on the entry there for "Object:". In both cases the correct mode for a drop shadow is "Multiply".

DROP SHADOW.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everyone - this is now resolved.

The drop shadow had not been set to multiply and this is the same in both images above. I had been thrown off checking the blending mode because all looked fine in the pic with the grey background. I guess this is so because the drop shadow is darker than the grey background and as such looks like it's set to multiply.

Lesson learned - always check that blending mode.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines