• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign on Sonoma

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried Indesign on MacOS Sonoma?

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Hi @100pk,

Thank you for reaching out. We're currently in the process of testing and optimizing our latest apps to run on macOS 14 Sonoma. We recommend that you check the system requirements of InDesign for the latest information on compatibility with operating systems and hardware. For more details, please check this page

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 223 Replies 223
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @100pk,

Thank you for reaching out. We're currently in the process of testing and optimizing our latest apps to run on macOS 14 Sonoma. We recommend that you check the system requirements of InDesign for the latest information on compatibility with operating systems and hardware. For more details, please check this page

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what's the ETA for this? Do you guys have a deadline that you're aiming for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx for the information @Rishabh_Tiwari  … I saw that Adobe was able to optimise Photoshop already to make it compatible with Sonoma. You don’t  happen to know when the updates for Illustrator and InDesign will be available as well? I had an update of Illustrator at the same time Photoshop has gotten the update … strangely both were the exact built numbers as before … but Illustrator is not mentioned on the compatibility page just yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a good reason why Adobe do not do this during the extensive beta program which one presumes exists explicitly for exactly this sort of testing for paid subscirption software (that by its very nature is set up to have frequent code updates). I find the hiatus between gold master OS updates which often fix security issues or add useful working practices infuriating and unhelpful. Anyone who has updated their OS is now paying for broken software and the "it's on Apple" is disingenous given they run a beta program to allow software developers to check their product remains useable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have no idea whose issue this is, and I have my own criticisms of Adobe but this is really on anyone that blindly updates an operating system without testing it.

Apple is well-known to not put too much priority on backward compatibility and any Mac user should be aware of that before diving into the deep end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rishabh_Tiwari,

I just installed the latest versions of Illustrator (28.0.0) and InDesign (19.0.0.151) … are these optimized for Sonoma now as well? Cause they are not mentioned on the Sonoma compatibility page just yet. 

Thnx in advance 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look like InDesign is EVER going to be Sonoma ready. Adobe can't seem to make up it's mind about Photoshop (different pages make it clear it is compatibile and others stringly suggest it isn't) but Illlustrator and Acrobat are ready (meaning a similar number of crashes and hangs as the previous versions).

No timeline on expected compatibilty... no clear communication. Try asking the virtual assistant and it wants to sell you InDesign for Sonoma but seem to be able to tell you if it'll work. Sounds like an Adobe tool.

I just what to know WHEN I might be able to upgrade my OS. I don't want to check every day, or everytime apps are updated. Staring into the abyss that is Adobe communications is soul destroying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my daily routine as well … check if there finally is a Sonoma compatible version of InDesign available. It is getting annoying, we are two months and two Apple updates in and not even a hint when to expect an optimised update. We need to know how much longer it will take for us to be able to update our operating system to the latest version. 

And I don’t want to hear any „it’s on Apple“ claims here, cause that is bs. Adobe has enough compatibility issues throughout their product line with Windows11 as well, without even mentioning 23H2 nor Windows for ARM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it is Adobes job to fix the bugs, of course it is and always had been.

By @sevenK

Not if those bugs are in the operating system. It's been known to happen and whether or not that's the case here, we'll have to wait to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's on Apple you'd imagine telling them that 3 months ago would be better for everyone, no? It's literally why they beta test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, it's on the user to test production environments prior to a major update, especially on Macs. Microsoft is far more aware of the need for backward compatibility but I keep a laptop with all of my major apps on it with Windows Insider builds to make sure it's safe to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's on me to not blindly update on a mission critical machine, it's on Adobe to make the subscription software I use work with a current operating system that's been in beta literally months explicitly so software devs can make their software work on the largest platform their app is used on.

I've seen InDesign plugin software companies do exactly this. Adobe are doing it now. The "it's your fault if you upgraded" isn't really customer care it's just appointing blame. I'm not interested in who is responsible for any "it doesn't work" I'm asking the massive software developer I fund by the month to join a beta program and get their apps working out the gate like others do. It's literally why the program exists. It's a very simple point I am attempting to make here. Adobe saying "we're on this have patience" is really just them showing how they exploit their monopoly / userbase. They're asking subscribers to beta test their products instead of doing it themselves.

I'm pleased you haven't driven either of your working machines into the sea, nor have I, I'm speaking to the way Adobe always ignores the Apple beta program and challenging it as good customer care and service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I have my beefs with Adobe. There are bugs I've given up ever seeing get fixed and too much of the development is driven by marketing not engineering, but pointing a finger at them for this with zero knowledge of whose bug it is to fix is unfair, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to weigh in here in regard to those who say that with all of the beta testing of Sonoma that Adobe should have been prepared. The very idea of "beta" testing is of a period where things go wrong so that they can be fixed before the finished product is released. It makes no sense to me for Adobe or any other software company to adjust their programs to comply with code that may or may not make it into the released version. If they did that and the released version of Sonoma was adjusted just prior to launch then we would all be in the same place that we are now. The only difference would be that Adobe would have wasted time and effort and people's time by making an update that still does not work properly. By waiting to see what we all are actually working with the finished release then adjustments can be made to the programs without wasted effort and expenditure. I know that there are some who would say that it would have been worth the gamble but explain that to Adobe useres if the gamble didn't pay off.

Apple has a long tradition which, I believe started with Steve Jobs' belief that the only way to keep making better products and be truly innovative was to not be ruled by what they had done before. That meant that, regardless of the consequences, with each new innovation they were not concerned if that progress wiped out the very reason for existance of something that came before. This credo has probably been the major reason that Apple products have been so unbelievably successful. It also has forced the rest of the industry to always be playing catch-up.

On a personal note I want to point out that when Apple came out with the M1 chip Creative Cloud programs took quite a while to have versions that worked natively on them. At the time I was very annoyed by what seemed like Apple's indifference and arrogance to consumers. Well, I recently had to retire my old intel-based imac and bought a new imac with the M1 chip. Wow, this new computer makes my old one seem like an Etch-a-Sketch. The speed of the machine along with its instant bootup (the old one always took about ten minutes to have everything fully launched) really blows me away. Maybe Apple does know what it's doing. I just wish they would give us all a heads-up when they do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, am currently struggling to get CC InDesign to work properly with OS Sonoma - highlighting text in a document results in the screen flashing and going white so that one cannot see what one is doing accurately. Very frustrating! I hope Adobe will be able to fix this issue with a new upgrade!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, we have no idea who's issue it is to fix but as for the flashing, I read somewhere that turning off the rulers has helped some users. Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob, turning off the rulers does indeed stop the flashing - will see if I can cope without them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always roll back to Ventura (if you have a full backup).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues here... strobe effect when selecting text etc... driving me insane.

Looks like I need to wipe and restore from backup. 4+ hours lost 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or turn off the rulers in InDesign if you can live without them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is, this is not always caused by an upgrade.

Mac is often used in the enterprise where creative arts are important, like magazine layout. If a computer goes down today, and needs to be replaced, you go to the Apple store and buy a new one... and it's going to come with Sonoma.

Adobe market's it's products as enterprise scale, but is usually well behind the curve when it comes to next-OS support. 

Apple makes it's dev releases available well ahead of time, and knowing that Mac is a large portion of their install base, it seems Adobe waits until the public release to even begin looking at next-OS support. 

If Quark didn't suck to badly, I'd strongly consider a platform change in our environment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple does not now, nor has it ever cared about backward compatibility. While this may eventually be proven to be an Adobe bug, it may just as easily be a MacOS bug.

Time will tell but we've already seen bugs that appeared to be in InDesign that were fixed with MacOS releases and you don't have to go back that far. Apple fixed a severe bug that caused all kinds of issues in Ventura with the 13.5 release so I would advise you, and anyone else reading this, to stop finger-pointing.

I don't believe Apple or Adobe has any incentive to do anything but get this fixed ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BobLevine not sure if you have been around for that long … the Classic environment during the transition from MacOS 9 to X onto a absolutely new UNIX based operating system, then Rosetta during the transition from PowerPC to Intel a new Chipset and now Rosetta2 for the transition from Intel to Apple Silicon guaranteed their users the ability to run their „old" applications on new Operating Systems and even new processor generations … I think more backwards compatible it doesn’t get.

And I find it interesting that Adobe already made some of their programs compatible without Apple fixing anything yet. And according to Adobe besides InDesign the rest of the CreativeCloud applications are compatible to Sonoma already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like InDesign is now compatible with MacOS Ventura
https://helpx.adobe.com/nl/indesign/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines