• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign on Sonoma

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried Indesign on MacOS Sonoma?

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Hi @100pk,

Thank you for reaching out. We're currently in the process of testing and optimizing our latest apps to run on macOS 14 Sonoma. We recommend that you check the system requirements of InDesign for the latest information on compatibility with operating systems and hardware. For more details, please check this page

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 223 Replies 223
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried all of that first. files are on a local drive with plenty of space. unfortunately, it's not my first rodeo with troubleshooting adobe products... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see on another thread that the Indesign 19.1 update rollout has been paused. Heopfully it'll address some of the issues with the spinning beachballs when trying to save, open or close documents on Sonoma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no updates from Adobe probably we have to wait for MacOS 14.2 or 15?
And still we paying a 'nice' amount each month...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I'd blame it on Apple. Look for a MacOS 14.2.1 or 14.3 for a fix. Adobe can't solve it by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's already been a 14.2.1 update, and the issue persists. It's not present in the rest of the Creative Cloud, so it seems to be unique to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s exactly what I’m saying … if it’s just a problem with this one application then it has to do with the optimisation of the app not the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there are issues in all of their apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saying over and over again changes nothing. Even if it was just InDesign (spoiler alert: it's not) that is not how you troubleshoot software bugs.

Adobe has a ton of issues to complain about, but fixing Apple's bugs is not something they can do anything about except report them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping to find others with similar problems, so that I might trroubleshoot my own sewtup, in case i misses something. I guess I thought that's what the point of this forum was. I've tried everything I can think of on my side; I'm not having any other issues with the rest of the CC suite. I'm just trying to find some answers, or just find a workaround. That's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choices right now:

• Turn off the rulers in InDesign
  • Toggle the GPU Performance setting in preferences if it's available
  • Roll back to Ventura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you keep trying to explain that the bugs can be an either/or/and situation, but this is the simplest way for me to understand it. If the software works on earlier versions of the OS, the bug is probably (not definitely) in the OS. If previous versions of the software work on the new version of the OS, the bug is probably (not definitely) in the current version of the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and I've reported this to Apple several times. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I just got a new Silicon M3 iMac 24 GB RAM, 1 TB HD last week after old one died a month ago. So stuck running macOS Sonoma 14.2.1. I knew there would be issues running InDesign, but is it "safe" to at least try installing ID CS 19.01? Or should I wait for a truly compatible version of ID? What does changing GPU settings do? I almost always want rulers on. I saw a few posts about problems after installing preventing uninstalling and the like. I don't have any urgent ID projects at the moment, but can't hold off much longer than week or two.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update from my side. We installed our new Mac Studio machines (around 8 workstations so far) at our office. The configs are: M2 Ultra, 128 memory and 1 TB SSD.  The machines are Sonoma preinstalled and we switched to Adobe CC 2024.

So far, so good … for Indesign CC 2024 (latest version available) we use the EasyCatalog plugin for advanced datamerge purposes. No major problems after 1 week production work so far. There are some "screen glitches" on older screens, but we use the "work around".

This is not Adobe related, but we noticed with Sonoma some connection problems with the afp:// protocol. I am now working on the smb:// protocol to see if things improve. afp:// is outdated technology, but still faster then smb:// I was informed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried the 19.1 update that was released today? I'm a little scared of trying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to risk it and see how it goes. Will report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Still slow. Turned the rulers off, checked GPU settings (toggled on and off). Still running slower than it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have speed issues running InDesign 2024 19.1 on Sonoma 14.2.1 on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious if you have tried to run InDesign in Rosetta? Some parts of InDesign actually performs better in Rosetta. Have you tried if it has any impact on the slowness you experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s exactly what I was about to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John Beeckaert that’s great to hear.

Just updates InDesign to 19.1 yesterday and I was actually thinking about upgrading to Sonoma over the weekend. I made the Ventura installation USB yesterday also just in case I would need to downgrade again. But actually … I think I’m still gonna wait. Everything is just running super smooth on my M2 Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should you upgrade to Sonoma? Ventura is fine. I had no choice in upgrading as the system was preinstalled. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say that any update to an operating system fixes bugs that are present in the itteration before that one. (New found bugs like the one we are discussing here aside). Apart from any changes in functionality and/or looks of a new OS brings which makes one wanting to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Especially if you have a rather new chip technology, like we have with Apple Silicon, you would think that they optimised the OS to chipset even further more.

And I pretty much always right away upgraded my system to the latest version back when I was still working in agencies. Okay back then I had a desktop as main workstation and installed on my MacBook to see how things work with the new OS. I had the Public Beta of the first release of MacOS X installed as well, cause I thought it was just such an awesome step coming from the older MacOS systems 7-9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes -- and it's a nightmare. I have a constant strobe effect (I think that's what it's called). Whenever I click or try and highlight text on Indesign 2024, the screen flashes -- sometimes it whites out completely. I also tried last year's version of Indesign - same thing happens. I am at my wits end ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines