Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign performance problems after update to 17.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

since the 2022 update of InDesign I have terrible problems with the performance of indesign. The program starts properly but even when no document is open I already have a cpu usage of over 60% just by indesign. In addition, the display is extremely slow (even the mouse pointer jerks). A simple menu card, which I created before the update on the same system without any problems, can hardly be edited because the program reacts terribly slow. All other Adobe programs run fine and InDesign should do the same on my system with the following specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5900X
128GB DDR4-3400mHz RAM
10 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
Nvidia RTX 3090
1000W PSU

When I install InDesign 16.x it works fine and fast, furthermore Indesign 17.0 works fine and fast when I install and start it in a virtual machine in my system. So there must be some kind of bug in the program code related to version 17.0 and my hardware.

I have already made the following attempts to solve the problem:
- "Clean uninstall" and reinstall
- reset user defaults
- changed harddisk
- disabled CPU overclocking
- swapped RAM and tested on different speeds
- tried all UI scaling levels
- replaced the graphics card with a RTX 3090 from another brand
- tested five different nvidia studio drivers for the graphics card
- tested three different amd chipset drivers

None of my approaches could get InDesign to run smoothly and quickly on my system.

I've been dealing with this problem all day because it's driving me crazy, but now I'm at the end of my rope to identify the problem myself and unfortunately I'm forced to continue working with version 16.x.

Perhaps you are not yet aware of the error, or other users here on the forum can confirm similar performance problems.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble. I would suggest you try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
  • If that doesn't help, rename the UXP folder to UXP.old in the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sort things a bit – i can currently reproduce this on three machines here in the office:

• an almost new, custom AMD Ryzen build with a dedicated GPU (AMD), 64GB RAM
  • a Lenovo All-in-One with an intel Core i7 from 2019 with dual graphics (Intel + Nvidia in optimus-config), 32GB RAM
  • a Lenovo Thinkpad P51s from late 2017, dualgraphics Intel+Nvidia, 16GB RAM

All have 4k screens and are run as 3840x2160 resolution with 200% UI scaling in windows, and "small" UI in indesign, if this matters anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @agule, I have sent a DM. Please check.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@agule wrote:

Hi , thanks for fast response

non of those steps helps me.

Most likely your problem is because you have a pirated version as you do for Photoshop.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-23-3-does-not-show-menu-bar...

Pirated versions often malfunction and frequently come with malware.

@Anshul_Saini can look up your information to see if you have a valid subscription as @J453 did on the Photoshop forum.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jane-e,

Thanks for reaching out. I checked, and augle doesn't have an active subscription with the email ID he has logged in on this community. He did use the trial for Photoshop & Premiere Pro, but both are inactive as of now.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the recommended procedures and no success. Wouldn't it be better to release a new version when it works? It's annoying and we still pay for it ... I'm very, very, disappointed!

Notebook:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
RAM 16,0 GB
Windows 11 Home

Desktop:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz 2.93 GHz
RAM 16,0 GB
Windows 10 Home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's the incentive ... we still pay for it, so it can't be urgent from Adobe's perspective.

@martink93032868  do you have

- dedicated graphics cards or combo solutions (nvidia optimus, ...) in your systems, or only CPU-based graphics?

- hidpi/retina/4k-displays that involve scaling of the user interface by windows and/or indesign, or normal displays like fullHD (all running at 100% scaling)?

it would be interesting to narrow things down with this ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. The laptop has an Intel (R) UHD Graphics 630 + Geforce GTX 1050 Ti. Now I'm trying to turn off one or the other. It had no effect. I don't think I'll delay, I have another job. I will use version 16.4 I'll wait until they release a working version ... in half a year or next year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated the drivers. Laptop performance is ok - solved. 15% still on desktop PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quadro K420, benq sw2700pt on 2560x1440px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBNLEMS ! ! ! !   I NEED TO KNOW (NOW!!!!!!!!!!) IF I NEED TO KNOW IF UPGRADING THE GPU WILL ACTUALL WORK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This discussion is more than a year old and your caps lock key seems to be stuck. If you need help start a new discussion with full details of you issue including system details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines