Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting Endnote in InDesign document programatically

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am trying to add/insert endnote in InDesign document programatically.

I manage to add it and end notes are coming at the end of document, but my goal is to add endnote at bottom of each page/story 

To do this I tried setting Scope and Place in endnote settings as follows

iEndnoteSettings->SetScope(IEndnoteSettings::Scope::kStory);

iEndnoteSettings->SetPlace(IEndnoteSettings::Place::kNewPage);

Above code works and endnote gets created in new page after page/story where I am inserting it. 

I want to add endnote on main page/story itself and do not want to create new page for it.

I tried setting  Place(Endnote Frame) as “Load the place cursor”  but this requires user action to draw text frame for endnote 

iEndnoteSettings->SetPlace(IEndnoteSettings::Place::kPlacegun);

Is there way I can do it programatically to add end note at the bottom of same page?

Any help is highly appreciated, Thanks in advance 

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

End notes, by definition, go to the end of a document. I believe ID's options are to the end of a section, a chapter or the entire book/document.

Notes at the bottom of a page are footnotes — structurally and in ID terminology — even if as author you're regarding them as "end notes."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

End notes, by definition, go to the end of a document. I believe ID's options are to the end of a section, a chapter or the entire book/document.

Notes at the bottom of a page are footnotes — structurally and in ID terminology — even if as author you're regarding them as "end notes."

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You James

Is it possible to have footnote like attached image in InDesing on each page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Xpertios, i'm trying to do exactly the same thing, did you found how to do with the C++ SDK ?  Many thanks in advance for your help.

Guillaume

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything that isn't a pretty usual footnote position and format. All of that would be controlled under Footnote Options.

What are you finding hard to do here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello James,

I still cannot create a footnote / endnote programmatically, within our plugin in C++ for InDesign.
If you have a piece of code to share it would be appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sorry, wasn't clear that automating the process was part of your goal as well.

I'm not really a script or code guy in ID, so I don't have an answer, but I am puzzled by how you see this process as something that can be done by a script, or code, or automation. Some degree of 'intelligence' is needed to place and match a footnote (or endnote) to the document content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worry James, the creation by program of endnotes is the goal, from a source text which contains main text and notes, it is indeed a human intelligence which at the beginning wrote and placed the notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, specifically, what would you automate about the process, and how (as in what steps)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Guillaume D what help do you need, do you want example to create endnote/footnote using C++ SDK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines