• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a bug involving text wrap and split columns?

Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using InDesign 18.2.1 in MacOS 13.3.1. I have a sigle colun text frame with a title. There is a graphic below the title (not anchored) with textwrap set to  jump object (fourth icon from left). Then there is a list of countries that I want spit into three columns. I select them all, go to Span Columns in the Paragraph panel and set them to spit into three columns. When I do that the entire list is forced out of the text frame. Odder still is that only some of the lines appear in the next frame on the next page. In fact the rest of the list does not ppear anywhere. Somehow InDesign seems to think there is no way to place the lines.

It is a list of countries, numbered. No paragraph requires more than one line. Nothing odd about keeps, paragraph spacing, or leading. InDesign is just refusing to place the list as I instruct it to.

Screenshot-2023-04-09-at-3.15.32-PM.pngScreenshot-2023-04-09-at-3.15.43-PM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure the stealth keep bug isn't biting you here? Make sure that "Keep with Next n Lines" is set to zero for all relevant styles.

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1681081380100.png

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I’ll be damned. I swear I check all of those more than once. Is this something that I genuinely overlooked or is it something tht can turn on randomly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It lies in wait. I blame the very poor layout of that menu. It's just not clear that it's a standalone setting, not controlled by the checkbox above.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also the following paragraph had no Keep with Next setting, so when the whole section was selected nothing showed there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines