• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to preserve trailing whitespace?

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign 13.0.1 on Mac, I have running headers using text variables that begin and end with an en space. Those that are left-aligned (or left Away from Spine) display both en spaces but right-aligned (or right Away from Spine) headers ignore any trailing whitespace.

This isn't a running header/text variable issue. I realize that any right-aligned text ignores trailing whitespace but I'm providing this situation for context. The attachment illustrates the following:

My running header style has a Paragraph Rule above in one colour plus an elevated Underline using the text colour. The result is a dual-colour rule where one side can automatically adjust as the header length changes section-to-section. I want this expanding line padded on either side, hence the en spaces. Combining styles in this way means only a single style needs changing in any given section rather than 2 separate elements.

I tried setting a Right or Last Line indent but it pushes the elevated Underline away from the edge. Using an inset space on the right moves everything in.

Is there any way to get InDesign to preserve trailing whitespace or do I need to approach this differently? Am I stuck nudging right-hand headers inwards next to a similarly styled box for padding? Or adding some sort of "invisible text" as padding? One is fussy, especially in a long document. The other seems hacky as it adds unnecessary text which could be problematic for accessibility.

Any help is appreciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Ok! I accomplished this using a paragraph rule above and paragraph rule below (in place of the less-flexible underline), with paragraph indents on the text and negative indents on the rules. I've attached the file to this reply—if for some reason, you can't access it, just let me know and I'll put it on Dropbox and you can download it from there. And let me know if you have questions on what I did.

I am teaching today, so I'm available for a little bit and then can check in at my lunch break.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at using a text inset on your text frames? This would remove any requirement for adding spaces. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 4.21.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using an inset moves everything in (text and underline).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dugost:

Is this the goal? If so, I'll explain.

~Barb

2023-02-28_15-53-28 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's it exactly @Barb Binder. I need part of the rule to adjust its length based on the text but also retain equal padding around it regardless of text alignment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! I accomplished this using a paragraph rule above and paragraph rule below (in place of the less-flexible underline), with paragraph indents on the text and negative indents on the rules. I've attached the file to this reply—if for some reason, you can't access it, just let me know and I'll put it on Dropbox and you can download it from there. And let me know if you have questions on what I did.

I am teaching today, so I'm available for a little bit and then can check in at my lunch break.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder This works perfectly! I can't thank you enough. I had tried using rules above and below at the same time but it never worked. I think I was focused on handling indents for everything via the rules themselves. I hadn't tried paragraph indents and then negative indents on the rules. Seems so simple now once it's pointed out. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide that example! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, @dugost. So glad it worked for you.

~Barb

PS. I don't know of anyway to get InDesign to honor white space on right-aligned text when it appears at the end of a line, short of adding a character after the space and making that character invisible. Clearly, that's way too fussy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines