• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to save arrangements within panels per-person?

Advocate ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to keep my Styles panels' content organized differently than some other people also working on the ID file.

However, the content of the panels (e.g. Styles sorted alphabetically) remain in the order that the last person using them left them in.

Is there a way to return a panel to a previous state?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2024 Aug 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the panel position on your screen or the content order of each panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The content of the panels. So, for example:

• I have my Paragraph Styles panel arranged by recent use.
• Someone else, at their location, works on the document & sorts the Paragraph Styles panel alphabetically.
• When I open the document again, I'd like my own Paragraph Styles panel to remain arranged in the "recent use" order I last used it.

Thanks. Original post updated for clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure this can't be done — there's no inherent ID setting or feature for it, it's sort of contrary to the model of how styles are managed and I'd be very surprised if there's a hook that a script could use to store and re/store the style lists.

But it's a good concept.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be doable by script.

Returned order of the styles - ParagraphStyles collection of the Document / Application - is the order on the pallet:

RobertatIDTasker_0-1725120180754.png

(ID in the 2nd column shows creation order)

And, as per:

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#ParagraphStyle.html#d1e540046__d1e545770

ParagraphStyle move (to:LocationOptions, reference:Varies CellStyle CellStyleGroup CharacterStyle CharacterStyleGroup Document ParagraphStyle ParagraphStyleGroup TableStyle TableStyleGroup Application)

Moves the style to the specified location.

Parameter

Type

Description

to

LocationOptions

LocationOptions.AFTER

LocationOptions.AT_BEGINNING

LocationOptions.AT_END

LocationOptions.BEFORE

LocationOptions.UNKNOWN

The location relative to the reference object or within the containing object.

reference

CellStyle

CellStyleGroup

CharacterStyle

CharacterStyleGroup

Document

ParagraphStyle

ParagraphStyleGroup

TableStyle

TableStyleGroup

Application

The reference object. Note: Required when the to parameter specifies before or after. Can accept: ParagraphStyle, ParagraphStyleGroup, CharacterStyle, CharacterStyleGroup, CellStyle, CellStyleGroup, TableStyle, TableStyleGroup, Document or Application. (Optional)

It's a rather general description - so only Paragraph* references should be used in this case.

So script could preserve the order and then recreate it - by moving ParaStyles around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Robert - 

Would this mean, then, that it's possible to save and load content order at a panel level?

And, if so (and pushing my luck) that we might have a separate "panel content order" panel that lets us select different panel content layouts at a click?

And, naturally, we could color-code the individual items like layers.

One can dream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@turner111

I prefer VB so can't help you with a working code, but someone good with UXP scripting should be able to fulfil your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, naturally, we could color-code the individual items like layers.

By @turner111

Not exactly what you're looking for, but might be useful: 

https://www.indiscripts.com/post/2012/05/the-hidden-way-to-highlight-styles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks interesting! I've been setting that up manually so as to evaluate imported content. I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same computer? If so, create two logon accounts--they will have separate preferences. 

Different computer? Use a script (see @Robert at ID-Tasker post).

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do prefs store style panel content order... by doc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do prefs store style panel content order... by doc?

By @James Gifford—NitroPress

I don't think so - there is no info of this kind in the workspace files - and it's rather document stored - so if one person working on the file will sort by name... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested it--it appears to be by document.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that would have been my assumption. So a script that runs on an opened doc is just about the only approach.

OTOH, while I can be fussy about style order, I've learned to use sort-by-name, using some basic naming conventions, plus one or two drag changes. Putting a hyphen in front of "system" styles like headers, footers, TOC entries etc. so they sort to the top of the list helps. (I don't care for style groups/folders because they create headaches for EPUB export, but those are a solution, too.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines