• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep Getting an error code 205 when launching InDesign (2019 and 2020)

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try opening InDesign (2019 and 2010 on my MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave - version 10.14.6) I get the window below. Which states, "Sorry, InDesign has encountered an error and needs to close.

You will not be able to use InDesign at this time. Please contact Customer Support and use the reference code 205 for more information on how to resolve this issue." When I click on the blue Customer Support link it takes me to an 404 Error Page page. I've looked up want an 205 error code means and how to fix it and have gone through it all suggestions/fixes and none of what they say it is is the problem. All of the my other apps that I have updated to the most current version are working fine (Illustrator and Photoshop). My Creative Cloud App works perfectly fine as well. Help! Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.39.38 AM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Amandae57858129, sorry you are facing Error 205 while opening Creative Cloud applications.  Error 205 occurs when we are unable to save the required credentials locally to the computer.

Please open Keychain Access and click on the lock icon, to unlock Keychain access.  After it is unlocked please lock Keychain Access.  The act of unlocking and locking should resolve Error 205 and allow for the required credentials be saved.

If you continue to face Error 205, then I would recommend reviewing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

I ended up calling tech support on this because I tried everything that has been on this thread. The ONLY thing that helped me was to uninstall InDesign, reboot, and then reinstall InDesign from the Creative Cloud app. I'm Mac running the latest system software and Adobe software. I do NOT recommend resetting the keychain unless you have Adobe Tech Support sharing your computer screen to help you do it. This is a major reset and will remove all your passwords from everything on your computer. Go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amandae57858129, sorry you are facing Error 205 while opening Creative Cloud applications.  Error 205 occurs when we are unable to save the required credentials locally to the computer.

Please open Keychain Access and click on the lock icon, to unlock Keychain access.  After it is unlocked please lock Keychain Access.  The act of unlocking and locking should resolve Error 205 and allow for the required credentials be saved.

If you continue to face Error 205, then I would recommend reviewing any installed security software that may be interfering with certificates being stored within Keychain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed.

After modifying my adobe account password and updating it in keychain I could not open PS CC 2019 anymore, I got the same window / code 205.

After locking unlocking my keychain access it didn't work.

Then I have reset my default keychain and now I can open PS without any issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is experienced if your sessions are open on more than one device. user as if falling blacklist. The license can be used by changing it and assigning it to a different e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works after trying all solutions ( reset my default keychain )

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IOS version 11.6.5 will not allow you to lock and unlock in the keychain.

Any additional advice you can offer for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was solved by changing the user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a note for windows users who don't know what 'keychain' is. Logging out of creative cloud and back in again has fixed the error for me. I've been looking for ages and this finally fixed it. I hope this helps others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! I'm a PC user, had no idea what "keychain" is while reading through this thread, then saw your comment. Did as you suggested and that totally fixed the issue! Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci !!!! Comme Curtis, je suis un utilisateur sur Windows et la déco/reco du Creative Clouds à marché nickel. Encore merci pour le tuyau et je me serai bien passé des 20 minutes de stress à l'ouverture de ma session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this helped me, thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the suggestions listed: 1) unlock and lock keychain; 2) logout and login of Creative Cloud; 3) updated my Mac to latest software. I continue to get the Error 205 at launch of InDesign. I have all the Creative Cloud design apps. Photoshop works fine. I can't login to InDesign! Please... post a 2022 option of how to work around this. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same problem.

Let me know if you've managed to solve this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nnnnoaboahh ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the steps shared below:

1. Sign out of InDesign and the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app.
  2. Close CoreSync and all Adobe-related services from the Activity Monitor/Task Manager.
  3. Reboot the computer.
  4. Sign back in on the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and launch InDesign from there.

Let us know if this solves the issue or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried nearly everything, nothing worked! i still get the same error over and over again...i dont know how to fix this anymore! reinstalled all adobe apps, signed out and back in, rebooted the imac, deactivated my firewall, emptied my caches, installed an older version of the LrC app, nothing works! Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, tried everything. It finally worked after I uninstalled the Creative Cloud app by running the uninstall. It gave me the option to 'repair' before deciding to fully 'uninstall'. good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up calling tech support on this because I tried everything that has been on this thread. The ONLY thing that helped me was to uninstall InDesign, reboot, and then reinstall InDesign from the Creative Cloud app. I'm Mac running the latest system software and Adobe software. I do NOT recommend resetting the keychain unless you have Adobe Tech Support sharing your computer screen to help you do it. This is a major reset and will remove all your passwords from everything on your computer. Good luck! - Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an update as of 10/3/22: I once again got the dreaded error code 205 when working on a large doc file in InDesign. Uninstalling and reinstalling ID as well as logging out of Creative Cloud and logging back in with reboots in between did not resolve this issue. I ended up calling tech support who shared my computer screen to fix the situation. What the tech person did was delete all the Adobe and Creative Cloud certificates in Keychain Access. When you open the Keychain Access app (Mac Intel computer), unlock access, use the search bar to find all the certificates for Adobe and Creative Cloud, then delete them. InDesign opened after this even without a reboot. I'm not sure why this is happening with InDesign. I use PSD and AI often with large files and never have this issue. Very frustrating! I'm using the latest CC software on a Mac Intel machine. Best of luck! Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is the only way for resolve this problem! I was problem with my PS, for a weeks, and now for this tutorial everything is working on!! THANKS!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to do this although nothing is happening when I try and delete the Adobe Certificates in Keychain Access. Any further suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vanmiddag wéér code 205 bij het opstarten van InDesign en de moed zonk in mijn schoenen. 2 maanden geleden úren mee bezig geweest en uiteindelijk heeft de helpdesk van Adobe het voor me opgelost. Ik wist nog wat hij op het laatst deed en ik heb dat nu ook toegepast, nog geen 2 minuten werk. Ga naar Sleutelhangertoegang en gooi de gele Adobe App bestandjes weg. That's it!  Bij mij werkt het in ieder geval weer zonder problemen. Succes!

Schermafbeelding 2022-12-06 om 13.57.47.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Tim! I was unable to use Adobe XD for a month because of Code 205.

This worked for me:

1. Uninstall Adobe XD from Creative Cloud

2. Sign out of Creative Cloud and Restart my Mac.

3. Sign in at CC and install Adobe XD

4. Delete the Adobe app info in Keychain Access.

Out of all the Youtube tutorials and forums I searched answers for, this one made the error 205 not appear anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nice to hear. Happy to be helpfull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Tim for sharing this. It instantly fixed my Indesign 205 error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know the feeling! Great to see you somehow translated my message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines