Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keyboard shortcuts not working CC 2020

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For some time, however, before updating to the 2020 version, the keyboard shortcuts like "shift + D" to duplicate or "shift + drag" to scale an element proportionally or "option + space" to zoom in no longer work. I tried all the solutions found on the forum but they didn't give results: I restarted the application doing the preferences reset, I deleted the files of preferences and cache, I restarted the mac, I reset the pram, ... I work on macbook pro Mojave. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 149 Replies 149
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, it's driving me crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur. 

This problem has been around for YEARS! I've no doubt that Adobe has been inundated with complaints during this time so is very well aware of the problem, however, they seem quite happy to just ignore it. 

It is definitely a glitch as it happens so randomly. Nothing to do with software conflicts (once you have turned off the spotlight search function that is). 

On a positive note; after a random amount of time, it just fixes itself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several years ago in version 2017 I was having a problem with text boxes, and typing anything new qould skip over the first letter I typed.  The only workaround was to replace the required plugins 'Character Panel.rpln' and 'Text Editor.rpln' with updated version found on the web.  It fixed the problem, and the typetool was working again.  Perhaps one of these plugins need to be updated for the keyboard shortcuts.  Nothing more annoying than opening a file and hitting control-P for print, and nothing happens. Control-0 to fit to window doesnt work, can't zoom in or out, etc...

The only solution I can find to return the keyboard shortcuts temporarily is to ckick your mouse on the Type tool in the toolbar, select a text box so that the cursor is active, and then hit escape to return to the selection tool, and keyboard shortcuts will work again.  I have to so this 20 times a day sometimes, and some days none. It's very hit or miss, but I believe the problem has something to do with the type tools, since that is what I have to click on to release the 'locked' keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, quitting Microsoft programs fix this problem for me too! Which is a pain, because I need Teams open...sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No third parties at all. I've used those shortcuts for 10 years, now those new weird shortcuts ruined my life and slowed down my working efficiency! Don’t know why did you change it, supper unnecessary and meaningless!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running 2020 versions for some time now. This is the second or third time short cuts just stop working, out of the blue, in at least both InDesign and Photoshop. 

Reading on this post, I remember that Chrome was once a problem: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/keyboard-shortcut-does-not-work-in-indesign-cc/td-p/9951792?... but that didn't help me know. On my Mac, I did force quit (using the Activiy Monitor) Sophos and Crashplan that we have by company policy - with the CC applications shut down. After restart, short cuts worked again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Quitting Sophos didn't make a difference for me, but quitting our Webroot Secure Anywhere app did the fix. Too bad it automatically reopens after 60 seconds. Hopefully our IT support can fix the issue soon - I NEED my shortcuts. lol!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

July 2020 and we're still struggling with this. Can you fix it, please? I pay a lot for this software and consistency and reliability are key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are in September 2020 and am STILL having these issues!! Things work fine for a while, then suddenly everything goes wacky!!

PLEASE fix this issue!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the same; suddenly my modifier keys aren't working - the command key and letters z and x.

I use an extra monitor and keyboard. All keys and modifiers are fine on the actual laptop, but not on the separate keyboard.

Also Ai crashes everytime the computer goes to sleep. I have to close any open files each time I go away from the laptop!

I am running a macbook pro 16" laptop, Catalina 10.15.6 

My illustrator/photoshop/indesign are up to date.

I've updated Suitcase Extensis (and updated those plugins for AI, Ps and ID) and Wacom.

I've removed the Acrobat extension from Chrome, that seemed to through everything out. I removed it straight after I added it. I've removed A security app from Chrome that it flagged up.

I've renamed the preferences files for illustrator and restarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

I found the same issue after updating to InDesign 15.1.2 
The Spacebar-Handtool shortcut isn't working anymore – And like someone else said, this is really a second nature.

I use a MacBook Pro with a Wacom Intuos PT S. I have tried to work without it, but the problem persist. Closed all web browsers. Still the same problem.

I hope for a (really) quick solution.

Regards Remko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy. I have a brand new macboook pro. My InDesign was working just fine last week and bam! This morning the option keys stopped working!! Just like all of you I am a power user, very reliant on these shortcuts. Unbelievable. I haven't done anything differently! 

I did find that occasionally I can trick the option keys into working by using them through their corresponding dropdown menus. So, for example, to open a doc, I cannot press option O but if I click "File" once and let the drop down menu open, then I can use the option O keys. Another time I opened the "Object" menu and typed option B just to try to open another submenu using option keys and then option O started working again! 

I'm not saying this is helpful to users but maybe the developers? Please fix this!

-Heidi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

Any updates to this? I have just updated to the latest In-Design 16.1.2 and 'Comman N' and 'Command O' do not work when In-Design launches and no document is open. No tablet's attached, though Wacom is installed. No Microsoft apps running. Running Mac OS 10.15.7

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, no peripherals, running MacBook Pro on 10.15.16. Cannot use command+n or command+o, and sometimes run into issues with other keyboard shortcuts within InDesign. Other Adobe programs do not seem to be affected.

This has been the issue for well over a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am experiencing some funky behavior since update to 2020. I was trying to draw a rectangle and it kept drawing it around an existing textbox. I made a new layer and locked all the others and it still did it! Unlocked the layer and outlined that text box. Very insistent. Never seen this before.  I had to draw a rectangle in a new document and paste it in. Have also experienced the non-functional keyboard shortcuts. I am in Windows. Begining to feel like the 2020 update was a mistake. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The same problem, spacebar and shift shortcuts don't work. Working on a MacBook Pro, tried quitting Microsoft software but still no luck?

This is unacceptable and ridiculous, Adobe please fix this ASAP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. also issues with the brush tool in Photoshop. The brush cursor doesn't work properly, doesn't show the correct area you are trying to brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me in version 14, It was fixed in 15.  Now I'm using Indesign 16 (2021) and the same problem is back.

Kepyboard commands will not work (Not even Control-P, Control-C, nothing at all) unless I do the same thing I used to have to do, which is select my text tool with my mouse, highlight a text field so it is active, and then click on the default selection tool to unselect the text box.

Then magically keyboard commands start working again.

Windows 10, indesign 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues after my 2020 InDesign update. Spacebar not working for the hand move tool. Anything with "option" not working either (option drag to duplicate). Anyone have a solution? MOST ANNOYING!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues on a Macbook Pro running Mojave. Not using a tablet, and the only third-party extensions I'm using is the newest Extensis Suitcase Fusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christophe (and Cat and Nick):

Other applications can interfere with the modifier keys in InDesign. In addition to web extensions, anti-virus and anti-malware apps can be an issue. Webroot is mentioned most often.

Try closing all applications and restarting your computer. Only open InDesign. Does Shift work correctly again? If not, take a look at the applications that auto-load when you boot your computer. Once you know this is happening, it is usually easy to ID the culprit.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default text tool shortcut (T) has not worked for a number of years and versions, even when other shortcuts work fine. Adobe doesn't appear to have addressed it, even thought it has been brought to their attention several times. It happens on all 5 of my computers, PC and Mac, and one of them has no extra software at all to be causing interference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I'd recommend resetting preferences. If it does not help and you are sure that no other app is interfering with it, contact Adobe live support on  https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html , click on chat icon at bottom right corner to begin conversation with the support team. You may also use https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html for Phone support. They'll be able to perform remote troubleshooting and help you accordingly. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

Its REALLY, REALLY frustrating that, after reading everyone's posts here that clearly state it has nothing to do with conflicts as it has worked flawlessly for years you then come back with this absolutely crazy answer!

This issue has started for me since a recent update from Adobe. Any shortcuts using command/spacebar etc stop working. They work again after a restart on the machine but then stop again for no obvious reason. This is costing time and money!!

I am a Pepsico employee can you please get someone to contact me?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should — stop blaming other programs. Just — fix the bug! If illustrator has no problem at the same time when InDesign becomes absolutely useless (with broken option and shift key) then there is no excuse to blaming on other programs. It is clearly an Indesign problem. Stop keep tell your paid user to find walk around, relaunch and reboot every time the stupid bug appear. Fix you — Adobe!!!

[This is a public forum. Profanity removed.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines