• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Last lines of text in column jumps to next column

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why this is happening but I can't seem to keep the last line of text at the end of a column from jumping to the next column (See pic 01). Only after expanding the text box a lot (2 lines beyond the required length) does the line from the next column come back. (See pic 02).

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Well, I was wrong. It is a keep option setting. Change the Keep with next 2 lines to 0 in your style definition: Keep option next 2 lines.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

The misleading checkbox for Keep With Previous strikes again... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

The Keep With Previous checkbox doesn't affect Keep With Next - it's just a poor UI design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Gentlemen....

Let's do some good here by explaining that Keep With Next (x) lines is a separate function from those keep (x) lines together functions. The latter are used to prevent single lines from stasrting or ending a column, while Keep With Next is used to keep headings with the following content to which they refer or to keep a cluster of paragraphs bunched together, and has pretty much no other useful purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you have in Keep Options:

RobertTkaczyk_0-1691707525471.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both keep options were not selected. I tried playing around with it, the only option that seems to work is Keep Lines Together - All lines in paragrah.  But it isn't really what I want as I may want mid paragraphs to flow to the next column. I tried Start/End and it moved 2 lines to the next column when there are 2 lines that can sit on that first column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant - everything should be OFF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they were both off in paragraphs and paragrah styles at the time I posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Keep With Previous checkbox doesn't affect Keep With Next - it's just a poor UI design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is undoubtedly a Keeps issue. Select the two paragraphs at the top of column 2 in your first screen shot (the professor's name and part of the next paragraph) and change the settings for both to exactly what Robert shows in his screen shot. Does that take care of it?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes keeps was all off at the time I posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have an exceptionally long "word" in the last line of the document? I put that in quotes, because the "word" might be expressed numerically or with other characters than a grouping of letters with resulting syntax. If InDesign can't easily define a break, those kinds of things can happen. It can also happen if you use the No Break character formatting from your Character flyaway panel.

If none of those are the case, and you have a long paragraph that ends with that unfortunate orphan, you may be able to cheat it away this way:

• Quadruple-click — quickly, one-two-three-four — to highlight the entire paragraph.
  • Go to the Character Width edit box in your Control Palette and change it from 100% to 99%. If the orphan doesn't skip back, try 98%. Still not back in the previous column, try 97%. then 96%.

I wouldn't go further than that, because that will likely compress the paragraph characters enough that it'll be evident. The longer the paragraph, the smaller adjustment will be needed. I do book production, among other things, and use this little cheat (with as small a cheat as I can get away with) all the time to tame widows and orphans between layout pages. As long as you don't go overboard, nobody will notice anything at the scene of the little layout crime.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not because the para style applied is correctly parametered that you can't have your problem!

Capture d’écran 2023-08-11 à 16.13.33.png

… Just control the "para style applied" settings is not really relevant (to reproduce your issue, I've just added a "keep with previous" to the following para parameters).

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently you haven't been reading through this thread here. Please, keep up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it's about the Paragrapha in the middle of the Story - not at the end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, looking at the screen grabs I don't think it has anything at all to so with Keep Options. I suspecrt you have Balance Columns selected in the Text Frame Options and turning it off will correct the poroblem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of ..., just ask the user to send us the page .idml file with its issue! (I've read a little the topic.)

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached my indesign file below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was wrong. It is a keep option setting. Change the Keep with next 2 lines to 0 in your style definition: Keep option next 2 lines.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The misleading checkbox for Keep With Previous strikes again... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Balance columns was off so that's not it unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep tellin' you guys, this all could've been fixed with a little copyfitting. All that needed to be done here was to get that little orphan bakc to fit at the bottom of the column and all this sleuthing would've been moot.

Honestly, much effort here sleuthing this issue could've been sidestepped by just fixing the problem. There's plenty of time to figure out the cause after the race has been run.

Jus' sayin'

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you've noticed @Peter Spier comment - but KEEP option WAS to blame..

I've posted screenshot with everything OFF and set to "0" - but @Four44 got misled by the Keep With Previous checkbox into thinking that it controls Keep With Next XX Lines option - and left "2" there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have. But I still maintain that a simple copyfit would have removed the blame.

Skip that widow back to the previous column and the KEEP option would not have been a problem. And the original poster would have the problem fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like one of us don't understand how Keep options work... 

Could you please explain how "Keep With Next 2 lines" from the NEXT paragraph can be "avoided" in this situation?

And why to do something manually - when the solution is automatic? 

And as this Keep option is set in the ParaStyle - it affects all text everywhere... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By mildly expanding the type width so the incident doesn't occur.

And don't presume that I don't know know how the keep features work. I've been training people how to use that feature for the last 24 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again - why waste time for  doing local overrides when the solution is global and automatic? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines