• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for a script to maximize the size of odd shaped objects on page

Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a client who does large format printing. They need to be able to maximize the size of odd-shaped objects on a page. I'm looking for a smart script that analyzes the object geometry (size and shape) and makes each as big as possible on the page, even if that means rotating them at various angles.

Ideally, I'd like it to work for both 1-up and multiple-up. But even 1-up would be great.

If there is a pre-existing script that does this sort of thing, I would love to know about it. I'm just not sure what type of options already exist in this arena. Many thanks for any input!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Document Geek,

Could you clarify with an example output? eg. "maximize the size"... so you want each page item to be as big as possible while still fitting on the page? Can they be enlarged independently or do they all have to share the same scaling factor? I have written a script for Illustrator that does simple 2D, rectangular bin-packing but it doesn't change the scale of page items. I could probably adapt it to Indesign, and add independent scaling, but I'm a bit busy at the moment to do that. Anyway, someone might know a script already if you clarify your exact use case.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI Makrk,

Yes, I'd want the page item as big as possible while still fitting on the page. For starters, there is only one item per page that would need to be enlarged.

• It is a contour cutout of a head.
  • The page size is 12x18.
  • Sometimes the heads are tall and skinny, and by rotating them, they could be enlarged to fit diagonally on the page (at a larger scale than if they were placed at 0°).

If we can get this 1-up version to work, I would next need a multi-up versionfor smaller cutouts that places 6 of the same file on the page, as large as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines