• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing File Icon for InDesign 2021 after installing new version

Contributor ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed InDesign 2021, and after trying it out, unsitalled InDesign 2019 which I had been using. After this, the file association was broken and it did not recognise existing InDesign files. I fixed the associate, and now it works, but it is not showing the correct icon for InDesign files. Instead it shows a generic white box.

I'd like to get the correct icon back. This is more than just an aesthetic thing because I make tutorials and the missing icon is a problem.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Hi Ansul

This is a bit weird - it's working now, but here's the steps I went through:

- The settings were in both cases set to "ab" rather than "InDesign.exe", so I changed this accordingly and restarted. 

- After this it still didn't work - and now Windows did not know what to do when I double-clicked an indd-file. I had to scroll through apps and choose InDesign to open a file. Opening the files from within InDesign worked fine.

- Because things had now worsened, I changed back to "ab" for both se

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Thank you Ansul! Your easy to use step by step guide was extremely helpful.

I would just like to note that if you have older versions of Adobe Indesign on your computer those should be uninstalled. Uninstalling old versions in addition to doing Ansul's steps was the key and fixed my icon issue.

Thank you, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the edit feature on this website is broken so I can't fix the typos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on Windows, right click the InDesign.exe icon and choose properties.

2021-02-18_10-10-37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this is not the issue. The application / shortcut icon is fine. It's is the file icons that are lost, as you can see in this screenshot detail. These are files I'm working with at the moment:

explorer_zuD8yA4K9g.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have tried:

• Uninstalling all versions of InDesign, and using CCleaner to remove any leftovers
  • Reinstalling the latest version on InDesign, and restarting the PC.
  • Rebuilding the icon cache
  • Manually fixing the file associations in the registry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After wasting a large amount of time searching the Internet and trying different things, I found more registry entries that didn't look right. I was able to find this out only be examing the registry of another computer where the software was installed. I'd gladly share the registry keys but Adobe is blocking me from doing that, so the best I can do is show this image:

notepad_bYqijwfDmk.png

Since the icon file is a dll, containing several icons, then the IconIndex binary value must be set to the correct index hexadecimal value, which seems to be ffffff7b. I don't know if this is correct but it had the desired effect and my icons now look correct:

explorer_tTDgooKK2b.png

It was quite a simple fix once I knew what to do. The problem was that there were no instuctions anywhere. I can only wonder how such a simple error could baffle the Adobe installer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jason

Have the exact same issue after latest version update of InDesign. Only thing that's worked is uninstalling and going back to an older version of InDesign which seems too drastic for an esthetical thing. It's driving me nuts though. 
I can get to Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00, but when locating the folders your screenshot mentions, everything is set to 'standard'. Nothing seems to be editable. Can't see a hex value to change.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

peterj26509413_0-1637755764282.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I performed an "open with" and the icons returned to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I tried that to a bunch of times, doesn't work here I'm affraid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @peterj26509413,

Sorry about the trouble.  I would suggest you to try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Press Window/ Start Button + R
  • Type - regedit > press enter
  • Go to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\FileExts\
  • Locate .idml & .indd > OpenWithList
  • Make sure Name "b" & Data "InDesign.exe" values are correctly inserted in both the file extension registry settings.
  • Restart Windows

Anshul_Saini_0-1638465552786.png

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ansul

This is a bit weird - it's working now, but here's the steps I went through:

- The settings were in both cases set to "ab" rather than "InDesign.exe", so I changed this accordingly and restarted. 

- After this it still didn't work - and now Windows did not know what to do when I double-clicked an indd-file. I had to scroll through apps and choose InDesign to open a file. Opening the files from within InDesign worked fine.

- Because things had now worsened, I changed back to "ab" for both settings and restarted - still the same result/error.

- But now - if I right clicked on a file/an icon > Open with > choose InDesign (and always use InDesign) - The icons are back!

Please note that this exact operation was performed multiple times before without the desired effect. For whatever reason I had to go through this process that doesn't quite make sense.
However it works now, and I hope it stays that way. Thanks for your advice and thorough guidelines.

Regards, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same issue with one of my users. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\FileExts\ doesnt exist. It stops at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer... 
Is this something i should create? 

The file associates with InDesign 2024, but the icon will not show leading to some confusion when files are opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the suggestions shared in this discussion and let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ansul! Your easy to use step by step guide was extremely helpful.

I would just like to note that if you have older versions of Adobe Indesign on your computer those should be uninstalled. Uninstalling old versions in addition to doing Ansul's steps was the key and fixed my icon issue.

Thank you, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this same issue. After installing Adobe InDesign 2022 it happened to me.
I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, 64-bit operating system, x64

IND file icon missing.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you tried to edit regedit with the instruction Anshul_Saini ?

I did and it works

gia

Link to spam website behind "gia"  https://gia.miami/tms-therapy/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that did the trick! Thank you for pointing that out @Daniel221502623ue5 and for the step-by-step @Anshul_Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines