Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My InDesign Layers are empty after reopening file. Cannot make adjustments

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone on here could help me out with an issue I'm running into. Earlier this week, I created a few files with specific layers containing specific elements for the printer's sake. After packaging them a few days ago, when I reopen, my layers are empty but all of the artwork is visible -- I cannot make any edits as I cannot select anything. None of my links are broken and I cannot figure out what the issue is. I already tried resetting my ID preferences....no luck. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm attaching a screenshot to show how the layers are reading as empty. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

The art for the front is set up on a Master Page. The page is hidden on your screen, but if you scroll down, you will see it. Screenshot 2019-09-12 13.46.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting the file as IDML. That will often clear out minor file corruption (which is what you seem to have)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When packaging the first time, a IDML file was created along with the PDF, links, and fonts. When opening that IDML file, the layers are still showing up as empty.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thought -- was the art created on a Master Page? That would give the result you are seeing when looking a a document page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was also my first thought! I went back and double checked and my master pages are empty. I've attached a screenshot of the layers and pages pallets -- it does say "F-Front" applied when I hover over the page. I'm guessing this is where my mistake comes into play. Thanks for your diligent responses...really appreciate that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are willing the share the InDesign file, I and others here would be glad to take a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The art for the front is set up on a Master Page. The page is hidden on your screen, but if you scroll down, you will see it. Screenshot 2019-09-12 13.46.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 GOLD STARS!!! Thanks so much! Didn't even see I could scroll down any further. This saves me a ton of time. Wish I could reward you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help. If you mark my reply as correct, then others who see this thread later will see what to look for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

absolutely. I hit the like button, but I'm not seeing the option to "mark as correct"....cant seem to find anything today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It’s OK. I’m a moderator and I marked the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines