• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numeral 5 on PC Number Keypad isn't working in InDesign

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The numeral '5' on my PC Number Keypad isn't working in InDesign.  I haven't thoroughly explored all of my other Adobe applications and will test on the rest of Creative Cloud to see if this same error occurs elsewhere.  This error does not show up on any of the Microsoft applications or web browsers on my PC.  The '5' does work on the top row of the QWERTY board, but simply doesn't function at all on the number keypad.  I have updated everything on my PC. Newest drivers are all installed.  Lastest firmware is installed.

Running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044 Build 19044 on a Dell XPS 8900. Microsoft Keyboard 3050.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, it sounds like the next logical troubleshooting step would be to plug in a different keyboard and retest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to try that tomorrow. Will let you know outcome. This issue is not present in Illustrator or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out it is not even consistent within InDesign.  I can open a new file and there are no problems with the '5' key on the number pad.  If I open an older file, I sometimes have this problem - and sometimes don't.  This is VERY weird and seems to be specific to individual files.  This all started because I was editing an older file (about a year old) and ran into this issue.  I just did a SAVE AS and that did not correct the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next thought I have is to uninstall and reinstall the product.  Your thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export one of the troublesome files to IDML, open that and check to see if it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that but had same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now convinced this may be a font problem. Will let you know if I can solve this that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled Myriad fonts, used only activated Myriad. Same problem. BTW - did you know someone did away the ® in the Myriad fonts from Adobe? That's pretty bizarre. But didn't fix the problem. Reinstalled original fonts, same problem.  Have not uninstalled yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Variable Myriad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convinced now it's not a font issue after all. Something about the older InDesign file format that's not entirely compatible with new. Save As isn't a rescue. Just something to deal with.

If anyone else has an idea what's causing this and it can be fixed, please pass along comments.  Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - three different keyboards - two different operators. It's older files (and not terribly old - just a few years old). Very odd.  Just have to workaround and remember not to use keypad in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't for the life of me figure out how a document file would have this effect.

When the problem occurs, does the key not work in those documents, or at all, anywhere on the InDesign UI, or at all, anywhere on any other application or system UI?

Assuming it is something document related... do these faulty document have a connected history? That is, could all trace back to one corrupted document that has propagated this strange fault through successive iterations and downstream 'child' docs? Put another way, are there older docs of the same general vintage that don't show this flaw?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried an online keyboard tester?

There are many out there to try.. just do a search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same issue with numeric pad key number 3.
InDesign 18.1 and the problem is file specific. it happens only in one file. I tried to save as idml and reopen but the issue remained.

Pasting objects in a new file doesn't bring the problem to the new file.

Moving (copying) one page to the new file does bring the issue along to the new file.

It seems like some kind of file damage/corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wndows 10 also here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure this is an InDesign problem. I have the same issue. Doesn't matter what font or keyboard I use. The number 5 on the keyboard works on every app on my PC excepet InDesign. The top row of numbers on the keyboard works, its only the number pad that doesnt function.

Every time Adobe updates an app, one thing fixed... another thing broken. *sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's one thought: NumLock. Some apps ignore it and interpret the num pad keys in "sensible" fashion. With NL on, the middle key is 5. With it off  (nominally in arrow key mode) the middle key is null. Perhaps it's just some keyboatds, more likely some keyboard drivers or utilities, that hook up with some tiny glitch in ID to cause the null response.

Just a semi-experienced WAG.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines