Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option + Drag not working

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ysing InDesign 2020. Mac OS 10.14.6

Option + Drag feature does not work, so can't duplicate items.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Solved it. I am running an application called "Webroot Secure"; if I select "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" then it solved this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved it. I am running an application called "Webroot Secure"; if I select "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" then it solved this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where do I find "pause secure keyboard entry" within the webroot secure app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't ask here. Ask in the Webroot support:

Official Webroot® Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not ask here? He should have to go to TWO places to fix this issue and ask two different web boards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find it in the preferences list under 'Webroot Secure'>'Preferences' on the top left of your screen (if you have a mac).  It should be one of the last selections in that list.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if you look in the drop down menu across the top of your screen for webroot you will find it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know how you solved it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should f**king stop blaming other programs. Just f**king fix the bug! If illustrator has no problem at the same time when InDesign becomes absolutely useless (with broken option and shift key) then there is no excuse to blaming on other programs. It is clearly an Indesign problem. Stop keep tell your paid user to find walk around, relaunch and reboot every time the stupid bug appear. Fix you sh*t Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry @m4au312 but you're writing that in ignorance. There ARE applicaitions that interfere with InDesign keystrokes. It is NOT an InDesign bug. I've been solving problems like this on this forum for years and so has Barb. Her answer below about figuring out the program that causes the problem WORKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for letting us know how you solved it! This bug only affects Indd, Illustrator has no issues with me running Webroot Secure. Now I'm kind of worry that every update, something else will come up. Hope Adobe can fix this for future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that I am a mac user. Not sure if this happens for windows users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what Webroot is either - This is a problem that just started after this InDesign Update. Drag and drop works in Illustrator.

I can cope, but I'd rather find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @susanh94562257:

Webroot protects PCs, Mac® computers, and mobile devices against ransomware, phishing, viruses, identity theft, and other digital dangers. Check with your IT Department to see if you are running it. 

Have you restarted your computer?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My IT Department? 
I am my IT department.

Yes I have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @susanh94562257:

We have countless threads on this forum with users reporting that their modifier keys suddenly stop working in InDesign.

While Webroot is the most common culprit, it is by no means the only application that interfers with InDesign's modifer keys.

Take a look at your antivirus app, anti-malware app, etc. For most users—as for the one who posted this specific question—once you are aware of what is going on, you can likely figure out the application that is causing the issue. My recommendation is to reboot your computer again, and only open InDesign. Are the modifier keys working? If not, take a look at the apps that auto-load when you computer boots up. Turn them all off, and re-enable them one at a time.

Here are the first three reports I found by searching this forum, but there are many, many more.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, each of the responses and solutions in this thread seems to suggest that the protection software can't run now without having that effect. Is that correct? I shut down my security when using the affected CC apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it depends on the particular software. I don't use such software, but I've been told some such software has settings which can stop interfering with modifier keys. Sorry but I can't give you specifics. You'd have to check with support for the company that distributes the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the entry in this thread marked "Correct," the writer said, "Solved it. I am running an application called "Webroot Secure"; if I select "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" then it solved this."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Saw that and assume it means pausing at least part of the security functionality. And I wonder if that means I have to manually toggle between it being on and being paused. Anyway, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines