Exit

Page numbering

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this master page with page number text boxes:

PageMaster.jpg

I can't select Layout "Numbering and Section Options". How can I set page numbers i, ii, iii, etc starting on page 5 and ending on page 22? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Hi @Brigit Ananya:

OK, I think you're asking us how to add the page numbers on the master pages. Is the actual question? 

Use Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number to add the markers to your master pages. The numbers will appear when you return to the body pages.

~Barb

2023-11-30_19-22-31 (1).gif 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click the page thumbnail in Pages panel, page 5 in this case, or select the page thumbnail and from the flyout menu, select 'Numbering & Section Options…'. Change the page numbering style to i, ii, iii for this section.

Do this step on page 23 and change the page numbering style back to your default style.

By looking at your screenshot, make sure page 5 has the right Parent Page applied to have the page number text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right clicking on the text frame for the page number on page 5 doesn't give me the  "Numbering and Section Options" (and when I right click on page 5,  "Numbering and Section Options" doesn't put the page numbers into the text frames). Please help some more. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on the text frame but on the page thumbnail on the Pages panel.

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 1.07.34 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Number styling in "Numbering and Section Options" is set by selecting the pages included on the Pages panel:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 5.31.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I want my page numbers not underneath the pages in the Pagea Panel, I want the page numbers in the text frames I have set up with the Page Master page I showed before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the page numbering style to what we have described will set how the page number shows up in the text frames you have set up on your pages. Have you done what we have suggested here? You will see the page number on your pages change to i, ii, iii etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offence, but you should really watch some tuturial videos or take some training about UI and basic functions. 

Things you are asking about are most basic things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you added the page number marker to the master pages, they will appear in both places: on the page and under the page icons in the Pages panel.

~Barb

2023-11-30_19-17-51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brigit Ananya:

You have the answers you need, just wanted to point out that the reason Numbering & Section Options isn't available in your screen shot is because you have master pages selected (note the blue page icons next to C-Master and the black behind the words). 

Numbering & Section Options is only available on body pages. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My text frames are red, because they have to be in the foreground, and my graphics frames for the background colors of all pages are blue, because they are in the background. 

Why can't I set the page numbers by right clicking on the text frame for the page number on page 5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color of the edges of the objects is from the color of the layer the object is on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brigit Ananya:

Have you scrolled down to see my answer on how to add page numbers to the master pages at the bottom of this post? 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brigit Ananya:

OK, I think you're asking us how to add the page numbers on the master pages. Is the actual question? 

Use Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number to add the markers to your master pages. The numbers will appear when you return to the body pages.

~Barb

2023-11-30_19-22-31 (1).gif 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks, I first had to set my trext frames in the Page Master to contain page numbers.

But now when I set the page numbers i, ii, iii on the page panel starting at page 5, it starts with page v. 

I want it to start with page i.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set it to start page at 1 on your page 5.Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 1.58.46 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get this "New Section" window up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, once the numbers are on the document pages, this change will appear in both places: on the page and under the page icons in the Pages panel. I am only showing the Pages panel.

~Barb

2023-11-30_20-04-01 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. I'm using page numbers i, ii, iii, through xviii, starting on page 5. But how can I delete page numbers 1-4, so that I can start with page 1 on page xix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted page numbers 1-4 on the pages by deleting the text frames, but the page numbers 1-4 still show underneath the pages in the page panel. How can I delete them, so that I can start with page 1 at my page xix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot delete the page numbers in the page panel! As long as you don't have the page number marker on those pages the page number won't show on those pages. Just apply a Parent Page that doesn't contain the page number marker to pages 1 to 4.

At your page xix, do the same thing that you did on page 5, and start that page at 1 and change the style to 1, 2, 3,…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read up on section and chapter numbering from the link @Robert at ID-Tasker has provided above. Essentially you are adding sections to your document to have different page numbering in each sections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I changed page numbers 1-4 underneath the pages in my page panel, by calling them A1 - A4 through applying the Section Prefix A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines