• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page Tool is unable to select a single page in a spread when using a custom workspace

Enthusiast ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Page tool is unable to select a single page in a spread when using a work space that was created by the user.

When clikcking on one page It will select all pages. 

I indeed found a report about this issue in User Voice Jul 26, 2021. Title: "3 page master page spread (book cover). Unable to resize just the spine, the page tool selects ALL pages on the spread."

It looks like it was completely ignored.

I'm reposting it here as it looks to me that after 2 years it's about time to fix it.

Shlomit

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

I see it when the active spread is a Parent Spread and the Properties panel is open—clicking on the center page selects all of the spread’s pages:

Screen Shot 2.png

But I also see the same in CC2021, so it’s been around for awhile—I’m guessing it wont get fixed anytime soon. The work around is to close the Properties panel, there doesn’t seem to be a correlation to the workspace.

Here’s CC2021:

Screen Shot 7.pngScreen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Shlomit Heymann , Did you try clearing your caches, and if that doesn't work your preferences? UI problems are often cache related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rob day ,

Yes. 

Looks to me like a bug. 

Have you tried to use a custom work space to see the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont see the problem with the latest version on MacOS Ventura—I’m not running any UI scaling

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Shlomit Heymann:

I use only custom workspaces and haven't run into this on any version of InDesign, Mac or Windows.

You said yes to Rob about clearing caches and preferences. What steps did you take, exactly? 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Rob and Barb, I have had no problem selecting a single page with the Page tool as shown below. Running InDesign 2024 and latest Ventura version:

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 6.51.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

** please ignore this. I found the problem - see my next post 🙂

@Steve Werner Just to make sure: Have you tried it with a custom workspace (one that you created and saved). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shlomit,

a workaround could be to use the Pages panel first, select a single page there and then switch to the Page Tool.

That also should work if you select consecutive ( or not consecutive ) pages in the Pages panel first using either the shift or the cmd (ctrl) key.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. No it's just the other way around.
First switch to the Page Tool and then select pages in the Pages panel to get a selection of pages in the layout.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still on macOS 10.6.8 and cannot see the issue with InDesign 2024, 2023 or 2022 that I have just at hand here on my MacBook Pro.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I found the Problem! (I think)

It's the Properties panel.

When it's open, I'm unable to select a single page with the page tool. It has nothing to do with custom workspace.

Can you please test it?

This is how a found it:

Since it happens only under my custom workspace, I have relate it to that, but after I again delete prefs and cash and this problem repeated I decided to try to create a new workspace and that's when I found it. I added panel after panel and checked . The second I added the properties panel all 3 pages where automatically selected. Closing it will make the single page selection available.

As for the Questions of how I delete cache and prefs - I always do it manually:

Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version [version]/InDesign SavedData
Users/[user]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [version]/InDesign Defaults

This is a screenshot of my workspace.

ID-Workspace-Docked.png

I hope you can confirm it so we can confirm the bug.

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a workspace which includes the Properties panel. And I can also select a single page with the Page tool:

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 4.11.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it when the active spread is a Parent Spread and the Properties panel is open—clicking on the center page selects all of the spread’s pages:

Screen Shot 2.png

But I also see the same in CC2021, so it’s been around for awhile—I’m guessing it wont get fixed anytime soon. The work around is to close the Properties panel, there doesn’t seem to be a correlation to the workspace.

Here’s CC2021:

Screen Shot 7.pngScreen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good work, @rob day  I didn't see that it was applied to the parent spread. I never use it in that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also seeing it in CC2020, so it looks like it came with the Properties panel when it was introduced in CC2020.

Also, if the Properties panel is closed, the Parent Page selection works as expected—I can select a single page in the parent spread. If I open the Properties panel all the spreads pages become selected on the open without clicking anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day @YES 👍🏻 🙂

I forgot to mention that it happened on the Parent pages. I know it happened in earlier versions as well but as I'm not really using the properties panel I never investigated it. Now I had to change a spine in an old covers document with 30 spreads of various covers and couldn't do that. I got so frustrated so when I found the first "solution" I decided to report it. It turned out that it's only this properties panel. Easy solution for an annoying bug. I feel great satisfaction 😁

Thank everyone for helping me 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines