• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed images not showing properly

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I place images in my indesign file, they show up with noise or black. I have checked the original files, and tried saving them as new files as well. My initial document also has placed images that are previewing correctly. However, post the 200dth page, they are showing up as black or with noise like they are corrupt. I have checked the original files. Please see below screenshot.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 13.47.49.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

What happens if you select Ctrl+Alt+H (Win) or View>Display Performance>High Quality Display?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Turn off GPU performance in your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Hey guys! I had the same problem myself. I've found my fix! InDesign sometimes doesn't like the color profile that's attached to the original image. I threw the photo into Photoshop, saved it under a new name, and BOOM problem solved! I hope this helps someone else out there too! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to place those images to a new document? Which file format you are using in your images. I have experienced same kind of problems with EPS-files. You can also try to change your Display Setting to High Quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you select Ctrl+Alt+H (Win) or View>Display Performance>High Quality Display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great, thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a million, Sisham. You've just saved my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're an absolute legend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off GPU performance in your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is GPU ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The setting is in your InDesign preferences. This link shares what GPU is: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.51.47 AM.png

 Indesign 2020.

The GPU is turned off. it is set to display high quality. I place this .png file into a new indesign document. it appears like this (the pic to the right) the pic on the left is how it should look. This is one reason why i don't like upgrading. it consumes so much time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have another file type than PNG? Much better is to use the original vector AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem-- certain images showing noise/greyed out/staticy/glitchey like the original post, however, I tried turning the gpu on and off and it did not change anything.  Some of the images are fine in the working document and become noise only when I select high quality display or do the document preview (i.e. they only show up when low quality) Others are always fine or always noise.

Is it because the links are on an external hard drive? None of the links are broken. Any ideas?  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem periodically. Thought it was the external hard drive but packaged the file and opened from the desktop and still have pics full of noise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, see my comment (below). Try relinking everything to the files on your desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file type are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jpegs and eps files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avoid EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this problem with a file I'd been working on that was originally on an external hard drive. That got too scary, so I moved everything over to my main computer (the cloud), and suddenly my images went all weird, just like this. The reason? They were still linked to the images on the external hard drive. When I relinked to the images on my main computer, everything showed back up. Go figure! But glad I could fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys! I had the same problem myself. I've found my fix! InDesign sometimes doesn't like the color profile that's attached to the original image. I threw the photo into Photoshop, saved it under a new name, and BOOM problem solved! I hope this helps someone else out there too! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicked on this link thinking we had the same InDesign image issue.. I was wrong, yours was way worse lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same issues at the moment on multiple different client files - I have also tried all the suggestions before coming across this post such as changing GPU to CPU and also high def version. Files open fine no issues on my Macbook, only doing it on iMac - HELP PLEASE! I can not deal doing all my layout work on my Macbook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaultxwwh8a07lwk6,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and for the delay in response. Are you still experiencing an issue? If yes, please share the version of InDesign & OS and is this happening on a specific or multiple files?

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here - tried all the suggestions before looking in the forum - all working OK about a month ago! No changes to hardware, all software up to date . . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines