• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Failed to Export PDF"

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a file in InDesign (13.1) and when I try to print it fails, and when I try to export it as a pdf it says "Failed to Export to pdf" with no explanation. I tried turning off downsampling, but that didn't help. Even deleted all of the photos to test doing it that way, but still no luck.

It seems to be a problem with this particular file, not with memory, because when I tested the issue by opening a different, much larger and more complex file, it exported just fine.

Tried packaging it as well, and also got the failed to create pdf error, which seems to make it not package the file, either.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Try removing any document corruption by saving it as an IDML document, renaming it and reopening it and exporting as a PDF/X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I trashed the preferences.

Still got the "failed to export pdf" message... I need to find a solution.. this is the most aggravating situation ever...

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the PDF issue occurring with all documents or just with this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every multiple pages PDF i try to export i get the same message.

One page pdf never give me problems.

My computer is an i7 8th generation with 16gb ram...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Antoine,

We are sorry to hear about this issue. I understand that every single time you try to Print PDF it gives you the error "Failed to export to PDF". As you have already tried resetting preferences and Print PDF also works fine. I would request if you can try step 2 and step 3 from this help article: Failed to Export to PDF message in InDesign and let us know how it works.

Also, I would request if you can share your system information and a sample file. This will help us reproduce the issue at our end and troubleshoot accordingly.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just had the same error message when exporting my PDF, and managed to solve it simply by changing a font. In my particular case a font in my system was conflicting with a copy of the same font I had activated in Adobe Fonts. Just in case it helps anyone out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since no solution was provided, I will provide the solution is found.

I tried exporting 2 pages at a time until i get the "failed to export" message. I then converted the PDF image in the page that wasn't exporting to jpeg. Then i was able to do the entire document once those specific pages were converted to JPEG.

With that said, what can explain that some pdf images in my document are making the export fail and others don't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Third time of asking: Is the PDF issue occurring with all documents or just with this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already answered Derek.

It happens with all my documents that have multiple pages. I never ahve issues with single pages export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how are you creating these InDesign documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click "new"..

Then decide the size and specification for my document. Then i do like everyone else, I add pages, my text boxes and images.. I don't do anything fancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You stated earlier that you added PDFs to the documents. When you have an InDesign document that doesn't have any PDFs placed in it (just text and Placed images), do you still have  problems exporting these kinds of InDesign documents to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell because all my indesign documents either have pdf or jpeg in them.

I don't know if that can be implemented but instead of having only a "Indesign failed to export" message, maybe if it can point at the page (or pages) that create problem? I think it would save a lot of time to pin point the problem..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem might be with the PDFs you're placing in InDesign.  I suggest you create a few test documents without any PDFs to see if you can narrow down what's happening.

I've got to go now, try the tests and let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is what i think too..

I still think being able to tell what page makes the export fail would be a very useful addition.

Thanks for the help and time Derek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me recently and I was able to figure out which page was giving me issues by exporting each page individually and seeing which one didn't export.

The culprit was a linked PDF that was causing issues for some reason. Converted the PDF to a JPG and relinked it and that worked.

Hope that helps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already done that. All 356 pages exported properly individually, but I can't give 356 individual pages to the author/printer. I also tried using Adobe Acrobat Pro to combine all 356 pages into one file. That also failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

russelraypc@aol.com  wrote

…I also tried using Adobe Acrobat Pro to combine all 356 pages into one file. That also failed.

Hi russelraypc@aol.com ,

any idea why? Is there an error message with Acrobat Pro DC ?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I should define "failed." After telling Acrobat Pro to combine all 356 PDFs into one at around 6:30 a.m., Acrobat Pro was still attempting to do so around 6:30 p.m. Twelve hours. That's failed, to me. No message, but I'm sure glad that I have multiple computers to work on, with my two biggest baddest ones sitting side by side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try again in smaller chunks? Say, combine 50 files at one time?

What's the file size of all 356 PDFs together?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not. I don't have time to play around trying to determine what the cutoff point is right now. The publisher says that they can use all 356 PDFs if I upload them to Google Drive. After I have the book uploaded, I'll probably take some time to try to figure out what was wrong. When/if I find something, I'll post in the forums here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I had the same issue, so I exported the pdf section by section, found the issue, corrected it and everything worked just fine. Maybe it would be nice if InDesign could point out the issue for me during the export (at least the page). I can imagine that if you have a large pdf with hundreds of pages it can be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Not to mention that I had no idea whether it was my problem or a problem within InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user support forum. If you have a suggestion for Adobe, post it at:  Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and none of these solutions were working.... I ended up exporting by page increments until I found which page was corrupt. I deleted the page and I haven't had problems since!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Madison/ Chelsea,

Thanks for sharing these suggestions here. This might help other users as well. Just in case these steps don't help and the issue is specific to a particular file, you can email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and we will take a look at the document.

I must also inform that file recovery can't be guaranteed with a 100% success. We'll surely try our best.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps anyone else, but my issue came down to a linked pdf that had bad characters in the filename, like # and ( ). Once I changed the filename, it resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines