• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Using "Indent to Here" in InDesign on the second line of a bullet deletes the text aft

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some way to add this to a paragraph style?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Set a left indent and a negative first line indent.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a left indent and a negative first line indent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! That solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @HeathenHarper , you might need a Nested Style. Here I’m styling the text to the first Indent To Here space with the List Dates Character Style, and then applying the SC style to the first Em Space:

Screen Shot 4.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, I think you can do the nested styles without resorting to an indent-to-here character. I interprested that last question as how to add a hanging indent to a paragraph style, and the proper way to do that, as pointed ouot several times, is to set a left indent for the paragraph and a matching negative first line indent. For bulleted or numbered lists one might also need to set a tab at the same value as the left indent, but that would only be the case for paragraphs need to have the beginning of the first line set apart fome the rest of the text in some way, as the dates in your example above.

Frankly, I see no need whatever for the first tab before the dates, unless that is a right aligned tab (but using tabular numbers would rather than proportional would eliminate the need there), nor for the indent to here. Using a negaitive first line indent that is smaller than the paragraph left indent would leave the numbers slightly indented without the leading tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Indent to Here when I want more than a bullet or number—a date string in this case, or a variable line of text—so yes if this is a simple bulleted list there’s no reason to use Indent To Here. I was assuming the OP was looking for something more than a bullet.

Frankly, I see no need whatever for the first tab before the dates

I’m using 2 tabs, the first is right aligned and aligns the date strings, followed by a left aligned to align the remaining text. Same idea as a movie credit alignment without resorting to a table or 2 columns

Screen Shot 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add what? You can certainly create a paragraph style with a bullet list.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread started in June 2018, then went dormant and some probably not-quite-on-topic responses got added. The OP never mentioned a bulleted or numbered list, nor did HeathenHarper to whom I was responding with advice for the general case. I think Bill Silbert covered list formatting pretty succinctly back in 2018.

But I guess I see where your question is coming from...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know what "this" was...

[I moved this to a new discussion--however, I don't know if the title is still valid.]

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have read through the thread. When I saw Indent To Here I was assuming something more complex than a standard bulleted list

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines