• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. So very annoying!!!!!!!!!!! Please fix this already!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I work professionaly with ID from a long time and no  problemo.. BUT new mac mini M1 and the las t update of indesign and A BIG problem with the text who desepear or keep the last font changed in (w) mode.

What's happend ? I can't work no more. I really need Help please...

Thank you.

Bonjour

gros probleme depuis l'utilisation d'ID sur  macmini M1. Les textes dans les blocs disparaissent. Il faut zoomer ou passer en mode W pour les retrouver. Pire, le bloc peut garder en memoire une police utilsées auparavant qui réapparait en mode aperçu. Impossible de travailler pro avec... je ne sais plus quoi faire. Suis le seul ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephane,

does it help if you do run InDesign as the only application on your system?

How much memory is available on your machine? Perhaps 8 GB could not be enough…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

I tried to work with ID alone with 8 Go, but no way, the same problem. It's incredible, all the applications are working togheter very well ( AI, Photoshop, acrobat pro, and more .. firefox, a lot of utilities...) and the memory management seems to be perfect. This is bug that Adobe has to fix very fast. For the moment Indesign is not M1 compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for your help. The last version doesnt fix the bug, and this not a memory problem (8Go only for Indesign).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please try resetting your TextEdit preferences to default & let us know if it helps.

You may follow the instructions to do that on this Apple support article.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

thanks for your help. Textedit ? why not :-).... I'm testing and comming soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it's seems to be better for a few seconds but the same bug come's again.  As you can see in the video below..

regards

Steph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steph for trying it out and responding back so quickly. Let us review the details. We'll get back to you.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Et le fait de désactiver le GPU ne change rien non plus ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour jm

Je ne veux pas crier victoire trop vite mais je n'arrive pas à recréer le bug depuis 10 min intensives.... je continue à tester et vous tiens au courant.
Mille mercis pour votre aide
Hello jm

I don't want to claim victory too quickly but I can't recreate the bug for 10 intensive min .... I continue to test and keep you posted. Many thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for working with us on this particular issue. Would it be possible for you to share your InDesign preference files? Please find the location of preferences file on this help article. You may share the files using Creative Cloud(or any other cloud service you prefer). Also, let us know the version of your macOS on Mac Mini M1 machine you're using.

You may share the information on DM as well. This information would help us investigate this further. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

My Id pref file is loading on Creative Cloud. You can find my osx version an Dysplay in the atached files.

The jmlevy solution seem's to work. I had deseable the GPU and I 've got no bug for the moment...

regards

Steph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,
2 days of work without any problem and the bug returns. It is not to understand anything. I have checked the available memory, it is OK. I closed all other apps, but nothing helps ...

2 jours de travail sans aucun probleme et le bug revient. C'est à ne rien comprendre. J'ai vérifié la mémoire disponible, c'est OK. J'ai fermé toutes les autres applications, mais rien n'y fait...

regards
SP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign v 16.4. The text in the text box keeps disappearing and it is driving me crazy. It has never happened before but it is really slowing down my work. Is there a bug? I have changed onto a new iMac - is there a problem with those? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlyl,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the macOS? Have you tried disabling the GPU Performance under Preferences? If not, please try that.
Additionally, you may try zooming in & out on that page & see how that goes. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zooming in and out is not solution to the issue, nor is scrolling up and down the pages in order for my text to reappear as i have to do every single time i type in InDesign. Adobe NEEDS to address this issue, we are all paying subsription fees to your company and we are not receiving adeqete service or help in fixing this issue. This thread has been going on for months now with no substantial fix. Its not good enough, Adobe Developers NEED to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estoy maquetando en Indesign y en cuanto cambio estilos, copio cosas, etc me desaparece la visualización y tengo que ampliar o reducir la página para volver a verlo ¿le ocurre a alguié más? ¿sabéis como solucionarlo?

gracias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the helpful suggestions given on the shared community post by Luke, please try resetting your TextEdit preferences to default & let us know if it helps.

You may follow the instructions to do that on this Apple support article.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We're currently investigating this issue. We'd appreciate if you could share the information listed below:

1. Version of the OS & InDesign.

2. Device Information.

3. Whether it happens with GPU Performance enabled/disabled or both.

4. Does resetting TextEdit preferences on macOS help?

4. A sample of the file.

5. Preferences files(You may find the location of these files here).

This information would help us assist you accordingly. You can share the information with me over DM.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

1. OS 11.5.2, ID 16.4

2. 2020 13" MBP M1

3. Both, but far more when GPU Performance is enabled

4. It helped a little, but still having same issues with TextEdit and ID

4. It happens on all files

5. Sorry, I'm having difficulty locating the ID pref files. None are located in Library > Preferences for both overall, system or user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashutosh,

Is there no one at Adobe who uses InDesign and can troubleshoot? There are millions of us using this inferior version of InDesign who expect solutions to our workflow slowdown.

Current: iMac, M1, 2021, BigSur 11.5.1

P.S. I haven't updated my MacBook in a couple of years — old fashioned Mojave 10.14.6 with InDesign CC 13.1 and everything functions PERFECTLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines