• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Tool, Selection, and Properties Panel Problems in InDesign CC2019

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to InDesign CC2019 and resetting my preferences, I've been having problems with the text tool and selecting objects in some of my .indd files.

One problem is that I am not able to select the text tool with a keyboard shortcut. Here is a gif of me simply pressing "T" a few times. The cursor changes for about one second, then changes back. The tool bar shows that nothing actually changes. Clicking the text tool on the tool bar will to change it, but only after InDesign freezes for a couple seconds.

GIF2.gif

I am also having a similar problem with selecting objects. While the properties panel is open, sometimes InDesign just freezes for a couple seconds when I select different types of objects. Here's a gif of me alternating selecting text and a shape. InDesign freezes the first time I select text, and the second and third (and all subsequent) times I select the shape. I can reproduce this pattern every time.

GIF4.gif

How can I resolve these issues? I am on Windows 10, if that helps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Hi all,

This issue is now fixed in the latest update (ID 14.0.1) of InDesign CC. Please use the Creative Cloud app to update InDesign. Please refer to this help article if you face any difficulty in updating. : https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This issue is now fixed in the latest update (ID 14.0.1) of InDesign CC. Please use the Creative Cloud app to update InDesign. Please refer to this help article if you face any difficulty in updating. : https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running version 14.0.1 and still have the same problem as the original poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• Operating System(Exact version of Windows/MAC)
  • A small video and description of the issue.
  • Did you try resetting preferences for Illustrator? If not, please try steps shared here: How to set preferences in Illustrator and let us know if this helps.

Resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Indesign will launch with default settings.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this problem now on several Mac in our company - latest versions of CC (INDD 14.0.3).
Any help greatly appreciated - this sucks incredibly and slows working progress down like being a one-legged in the ass kicking world championship... ;-6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in the meantime I Have ID14.03, but I have the same problem as described here. Before it was working well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the exact issue described in this thread, and have been for months. Trashing preferences hasn't helped, neither does changing workspaces.

Version 14.0.3  |  Mac OS 10.13.3 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define "fixed", cause we're now in may 2020 and the problem persists. Version 15.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue with an inability to select the text tool by pressing T as a shortcut was happening to me inconsistently a year ago and stopped with an update at some point. It started flaring back up again today. 

Mac 10.14.6, InDesign 15.0 CC 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm, that this is still an issue. Pressing T as a shortcut WON'T activate the text tool if the control panel is open.

Closing the control panel solves the problem. Unfortunately I depend on it being open 😞

Windows 10 Pro

Latest Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me as well on two German Windows 10 systems (one standard, one enterprise), both since the latest CC update to 15.0.2 x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

while not a solution to this horrible and ongoing issue, I am happy I found out that working without the control panel improves my workflow. So thank you for sharing. It's not 2021 and i'm on the latest version and this issue still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem intermittently. I recently upgraded to 15.0.3 (Mac) and have had the problems with previous versions as well. Re-setting my preferences doesn't help. Since upgrading 3 days ago, it is doing this constantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of OS? Also, I'd request checking out https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp2864/mac and see if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same issue as gdwd but using 15.1.1 Is there a new fix? I'm also using a Wacom - but that shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report this to Adobe chat support. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 15.1.2 and been experiencing this weird text tool shortcut problem on and off for a while now. A co-worker has no problems at all with it.

What appears to have fixed it for me is to go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and then under Product Area: Tools > Type Tool reassign the letter T as the shortcut. It will tell you that it is already assigned to the Type Tool but just click Okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines