• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The InDesign Application Frame gets stuck outside the screen area/behind menu bar

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every so often, since working on my current iMac (2017), my Application Frame in InDesign gets stuck on my second 32" Benq monitor. The top bar area sits just behind the menu bar. Once it's there, it's there. The accessibility to reposition the frame is now not possible. Even switching the Application Bar, the background frame is still stuck and cannot be moved.

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 09.50.38.png

Surely, there must be a limit from stopping the Application Frame from running off behind the menu and off the top of the screen, or at least allow an interactive method in a dropdown menu to reset the Application Frame back within the frame of the monitor.

For the moment, the only way I have found to resolve this would be to 'Delete InDesign Preference file' (Shift+Control+Option+Command) on start-up and reapply my personal settings and workspaces.

After resetting, this crucial part of the frame is now visible.

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 10.10.31.png

I'm running MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.3, on an iMac 27-inch 4.2Ghz Intel Core i7 running a second 32" Benq screen.
Currently affecting InDesign version 14.0.1 but it also occurred with previous versions too.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

ANSWER FOUND: It appears it only affects users with two screens. If your displays are sitting side by side, ensure the second screen in the 'Display Arrangement' in System Preferences >> Displays, does not sit higher than the main screen - even though the second screen may sit higher on the desk. Keeping the second screen aligned or lower will avoid 'losing' part of a panel off screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This has been driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much I saw videos, other answers on adobe forum and in 2024 it happens still. I try to asign to all desktops but in my dock icon not display. Thank you very much for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that worked for me was to disconnect my second display. I was then able to resize my InDesign window, then plug in my secondary display again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked! Just had to disconnect the second display, then was able to click and drag my tools lower -- reconnected -- fixed. THANK YOU. (OMG these are the things that make me want to fling my computer out the window...) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. So glad I found this. 10 min of terror.. haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this solved my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something so simple but so frustrating. Thank you so much for your answer! All fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem but none of the suggested solutions are working. My InDesign application window is stuck to the top of my screen, whether I'm using two monitors or one, I've tried resetting the workspace, oriented the other monitor "below" the primary monitor, restarting InDesign, nothing is working. I will try deleting the InDesign Preference File. I'm using a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.6 and Id CC 2020.

Follow-up: I deleted the InDesign Application Preference file and restarted. When I opened Id again, it was just a pile of dismembered toolbars and control panels, even after resetting the workspace. I finally went to Window > Application Frame and selected it (so it is checked) and then everything was restored. Super disruptive and tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here using a 3 monitor configuration (ViewSonic + Asus running on my 10.14.6 MBP). Only remedy is to drag the top monitor down and to the left (as mentioned earlier). Once this is done, I can regain control of the ID frame and move to the middle of my main display. Finally, I arrange the displays back to my preferred config. Strange but this only happens w/ ID (2020 and 2021).

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 11.43.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-23 at 11.51.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any way to fix this? so i cant position my second monitor above my laptop? or this will always happen?

jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKYOU! disconnecting second monitor, fixing and connecting monitor again worked. I'm in hour one of having 2 monitors and broke my most used program. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the solutions before this and nothing worked. Can't believe that all i had to do was click the application frame.... what a horrible setup that they just never changed! Thank you so much for the (two year old) answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing this info! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you mag-man, that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened to me is this:

I had 2 monitors connected to my MacBook Pro using Indesign 2021. I disconnected the monitors, took my Mac on a 4 week trip with no other monitors availabe. Now i cant use InDesign because it don show on my MacBook.

How to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a million times over!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the same problem however none of the suggestions were working.

So I was thinking it was at the OS level.

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*.plist

I moved it to my desktop and added OLD in the filename 

Then restarted the machine and it worked. It seems to me that the external monitor settings got stuck

I hope that this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem, I have two screens and have aligned them in the Systems Prefs so they are side-by-side as mag-man suggests then closed and reopened InDesign but it's still off the screen. This solution doesn't work. Mac os 12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but the problem persists, and I just found a simple solution; at least it worked in my case. 

First, note that I work with my large external monitor positioned above my laptop screen. I'd guess that this is a pretty common arrangement, and it's inconsistent with the "correct answer" below.

Many people (on various sites) suggested turning off and on the Application Frame. That didn't help me: with or without the frame, before and after, I still had the same problem. 

But then I simply closed InDesign and reopened it again--still the same problem. But THEN, when I turned the Application Frame off and back on again, the frame was freed up from its anchored position and I was able to move it around at will. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However - I have a user this happening to, and she's never used a monitor. She is opening files locally and off the network that may have been access to coworkers using dual displays.

I've gon through all the steps listed - and the issue persists.

Mac Os 10.14.6, Indesign 2021 ( 16.4)

any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has just happened to me and I found a solution that works. I haven't seen this answer in any of the replies above, so apologies if it's duplicated.

I have 3 screens, and InDesign was stuck on the laptop screen.

So, here goes:
Go to InDesign > Preferences > User Interface Scaling.

My settings were on small so I scaled it to large and clicked OK, it will come up with a message saying "Changes to your UI scaling settings will take effect after you restart InDesign", I clicked 'restart now' and it automatically reopened InDesign and was 'moveable' again, and I just went back into UI scaling again and repeated the steps above changing back from large to small and everything is back to normal.

Phew (panic over)

Current InDesign version: 18.0

Current MACOS: Ventura 13.0.1

God Bless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this as well. I'm running two external monitors on an M1 macbook pro. It happened when InDesign launched on the MacBook screen. My solution was to go into Apple>System Preferences>Displays and drag the menu bar (transparent white bar on the top of one of the displays in the display arrangement view) to my large primary monitor. InDesign launches with the correct view now on my main screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found a workaround to the glitch - Put your doc into Presentation mode, then back out again to normal mode and the App is now able to be moved and scaled as normal. Clearly a programming glitch. None of the fixes above worked for me. The app is automatically opening as if it's been maximised and nothing would get the green/yellow/red circles to appear, until I put it in Presentation Mode and then back out again. Having been through this many times with Mac M1 chips and Adobe apps not working well together, I've come to expect problems. At least this works for now - until the programmers "fix the fix" and leave us with an unusable app again! They seem very diligent about fixing the fix's but never fixing the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines