Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to add space in EPUB document

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I think what I'm trying to do is probably quite simple but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I need to add space above the text on an ebook title page, and also I need to add some space above each of the chapter headings.

For the title page, I've tried Object Export Options > Custom Layouts > Space Before but no matter what value I input it has no effect - the text still appears at the top of the page on the exported EPUB.

For the space at the start of each chapter, I've tried adding things in the paragraph style but it seems lots of information gets discarded on export to EPUB.

Hopefully someone has a solution!

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that combination, whether native from the ID export or applied in CSS, will work in most readers.

Add one more facet, already noted, and it will work in every reader I've ever tested. As I said, any one of those factors will work in some readers; the more you add, the more readers will be compliant and consistent with applying top space.

And that addresses only the situation where you want top space no matter what, as on Chapter Headings. The problem of space above to separate lesser headings in the text but not top-space on a new page is... a whole separate problem 🙂

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well you can control it.... if your lesser headings are all identified by the same paragraph style it will yield a single class in CSS, so you just add padding-top and/or padding-bottom in CSS.... it would be nice if indesign could write padding or could let you put it in within the paragraph styles palette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, all -- Emerald and James, especially. Thanks for the thread. Very helpful, as well as the link nitro. I do freelance editing and production and in the past have gone from Word to Calibre for epubs, even while I was in InDesign for press PDFs. No more! This year I'm makign the change and I have my first client book in copy edit, now poured, and here we go, it's time to know every glitch and setting, foible and trick. So far so good! Cheers! Ben, https://aspiringwritersyndrome.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines