• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type popping out of text frame

Guide ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#InDesign #typography Some times type pops out of the text frame, what is this called? Is there a way to detect or automatically fix it. Does it matter?

I have looked at the app.selection[0].lines[0].endHorizontalOffset, which seems to be clipped to the text frame.

It was suggested that I look at the optical settings, but these did not change the appearance.

If I export the frame the type is clipped.

Is this a bug?

*I have a motive this question, I have a plugin that can detect this effect. But, I would prefer a script.

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 13.20.59.png

TOPICS
Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2024 Aug 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I follow all the arguments, and all well-earned loathing of KDP aside, I still can't see this as a bug. It's simply how some fonts are mapped and interact with the text frames, and I think that puts it in the category of ten thousand things a designer simply has to know and work with or around. If those protrusions are a problem for some reason, the tiny frame inset pretty much takes care of them, just as such tweaks "fix" many other things where the default behavior isn't what's desired.

The problems with this behavior seem to boil down to two instances: a ragged look in small, focused text blocks such as in advertisements, which can be corrected by several means including outright hacks such as inserting micro-spaces; and KDP.

I'd mildly suggest that the solution is not to use this small group of largely classic fonts, just as you don't use Times if you don't want serifs. Or to learn KDP's many quirks and oddities and stay "inside the lines" — literally — on them.

(I absolutely, positively disagree with any notion that Adobe "owes" KDP and its users anything in this regard.)

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines