• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using typographer's quotes and straight quotes in the same block of text

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to use both straight and "curly" quotes within the same sentence or paragraph without having to go into the app preferences change it, type the text, go in and change it again, etc.

Typical example of a sentence I would need to do this for:

The IRT's platforms are 510' long, and each car is 51'5".

Can I create a character style that forces straight quotes when the default setting is typographer's quotes? I would say I need straight quotes maybe 5% of the time (if that), but when I need them, creating them is a royal pain. Even copying-pasting doesn't work as the pasted versions are curly.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Letting us know the version is important.

Those are the shortcuts for current versions:

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.21.09 AM.png

but they are not listed for CS6. You can use the Type menu in CS6 or define the shortcuts via Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your preferences to default to curly quotes. When you need a straight quote, press Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] for straight single quotes and Shift+Ctrl+[ and Shift+Ctrl+] for straight double quotes (or the Mac equivalents of those keys). You can review/change these keys in the keyboard shortcut editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this does not seem to work for me (holding down the control key and the left square-bracket simultaneously, or control and right square-bracket, or control, shift, etc). None of those combinations work using ID CS6 on a PC running Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Letting us know the version is important.

Those are the shortcuts for current versions:

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.21.09 AM.png

but they are not listed for CS6. You can use the Type menu in CS6 or define the shortcuts via Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's even easier, and it works like a charm. Thanks, Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mixed up my straight and curlies there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using your keyboard combination, but no luck. Just an FYI. But since Illustrator and so easy to manually add this "special character" of the elusive single or double uncharactertistic vertical line known as the "foot mark" and "inch mark".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Now we're back to the drawing board and no straight quotes (single or double), and running latest version 27.1.1.

KansasSteve_0-1672936095555.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KansasSteve:

This is the InDesign forum. This 2018 was addressing quotes in InDesign, not Illustrator. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodness. I'm so sorry. I was in the Illustrator forum, and searched and searched within it. Finally found "inch and marks", but didn't realize I was in a different forum at that point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insert the specific character using alt codes, or a macro/key programmed to enter them if you have the capability and the often-enough need.

I keep a chart of Alt Code characters handy, and it's often much faster than burrowing down three or four levels of a never-quite-remembered Insert menu. 🙂

Under Windows, Alt-34 inserts a straight double quote — " — and Alt-39 inserts a straight single quote/apostrophe — ' . Not sure of Mac equivalents.

ETA after Barb's correction: "...in pretty much all apps."

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe 5 years later there isn't a clean solution to this. I wish you could set the preference for typographer's quotes by paragraph or character style!! Is there an official way of requesting things like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quotes follow the used language. I use text in English or German, and it will use the correct quotes for each language. For everithing without a language like formulas, I use "no language". When a text has no language (applied via Paragraph or Character Style) sreight quotes are used automatically. That is correct and in m,y opinion this is the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you! Is this automatic or is there a way to set the style of quotes for that specific language?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines