• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is this yellow symbol that can't be deleted and is attached to some type and images

Contributor ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've inherited a document to work on at it has these little symbols throughout, some attached to nothing, some to text and some to images. I can select them but not delete, right click reveals nothing about then just the optiosn for what they are attached to. 

Google is no help, can't find anything searching on here either.

Anyon know what they are

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 11.44.55.pngScreenshot 2023-04-28 at 11.58.14.pngScreenshot 2023-04-28 at 13.24.34.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Autostyles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 12.50.37.pngDont think so.

It's not even attached to text. Some of the icons are attached to pictures and other just a blank page with no content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@willi is correct.

It's a technology preview, which most of us don't find very useful:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/work-with-style-packs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not - I had already checked that - I have no autostyle packs installed.
I have download one and applied it to some text and don't get that icon. Deleted it and the icons are all still there. 

As I say they are fixed to images in some cases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video demo Have a look at this. It's attached to an image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share some sample pages from the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't really as it's client sensative - I've stripped out some content and taken a screenshot of some of the elements the icon is attached to. I've also opeoned on second machine a PC Indesign, I'm on mac Studio and the icons are still present. Thought then I'd save that and send as it has no info in it. BUT when I open the save as file they have gone????

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 13.24.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now starting to think it's a bug.

Anywhere it appears attached to an element, if I copy and paste into a new doc the symbol doesn't come with it. If it's text the style sheets come with the text, if an image then obviously no style sheets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the file to .idml and see if the problem is gone when you open that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It lloks more like a third party plug in that leaves lables, idml should fix that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just tried an .idml - still there grrrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now starting to think it's a bug.

It does not match any of the Autostyle icons: 

auto.png

Your little yellow frame decoration icon is clearly none of those. 

BUT when I open the save as file they have gone????

At least you found a way to remove them, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could well be the symbols for imported PDF comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's not that or adobes own comments. 

TBH I've used a InDesign since pacemaker and think I know pretty much everything about it but this one has stumped me. Even a google image search turn ups nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, samehere on the experience.  Indesign still throws me a curve ball and surprises me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that @Frans v.d. Geest is right, it could be a third party plugin. To go further, try this: when the file is open, go to the InDesign menu > About InDesign while pressing the Cmd key (I am on a Mac, I don't know if the Ctrl key works on Windows) and you'll get a detailed window about the file and the used plugins and missing plugins.

Capture d’écran 2023-05-02 à 12.27.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a mac too. Have just tried it and nothing missing.

At this stage I'm just more annoyed that I can't figure out what it is, this documnet was a starting pouint for another and the icon isnt present in that - Just I have never seen it before, cant delete it and want to know what it is?

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 11.54.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if this was maybe produced on a Beta version and has a not-released feature. I notice in your screen capture it says the file is converted from something and is also a recovereded minisave. Have you scrolled down to see if there are more details about those two items? You'll get the full history of the file by scrolling the history pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it was done on an older version of ID than I'm using.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 12.31.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything in the middle there about the crash? If you write the log file you can post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's the log file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so this doc started life in 2019 in version 13 and has been converted to later versions over the years, with a number of crashes during that time. That, by itself, is reason enough to export to .idml to clean it up and move forward from that.

I haven't been a beta tester in more than a decade, so I don't know if any of those versions were pre-release, but I suspect not so that probably rules out an un-released feature. Could still be something from a third-party plugin which might still be installed on your system.

Without access to the file I don't think there's much chance any of us can come up with a definitive answer at this point, and maybe not even if we had access..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the .idml didn't clean it up - I opened it and the icon was still present.

It's fine I copied then bits I needed into a new document. 

Just puzzled as to what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While it may not have removed the icons it certainly cleaned up minor corruptions caused by the earlier crashes and multiple version conversions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines