• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do some Bengali words appear incorrectly in InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pasting Bengali from an excel file into InDesign CC 2018. I have Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer turned on. I’ve tried numerous fonts, including the Adobe Bengali font. Here are a few examples. The words in the red box are as they should be, the yellow highlighted words are how they appear in InDesign.

First.png

After doing some research, I’ve learned there are a lot of different rules dictating how certain characters should be combined. I’m wondering if some of these rules were left out or misconstrued in Adobe World-Ready Composer. Or is this an issue with the glyph palette? I can copy the incorrect word from InDesign and paste it into Word or Excel and it looks correct. As soon as I paste it into InDesign, it changes. Any suggestions on how to get around this issue would be greatly appreciated!

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Comments is to ask about the operation of the Forum, not a specific program]

[Moved from the Comments forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Please try to copy-paste this, and you will get your job done. I don't have deep knowledge in the bengali font, So I can't elaborate or explain this thing to you. You can simply copy and paste in to your indesign this from here, but there is also some problem, font name "Tiro Bangla" will not properly support this, whereas "Ruposhi Bangla" or "Kalpurush" is compatible with this. and the word can't be pasted here because of HTML glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandy,

I have asked the concerned team to follow up on this.

Regards

Rajashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rajashree,

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Sandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I'm still having this issue. Any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with both InDesign CC 2019 and also tested 2020 (I'm part of the pre-release testers). I submitted a ticket to Adobe, and they just told me to turn on the World-Ready Paragraph/Single Line Composer, although in my issue submission, I told them I had already done that. 

I am trying to also format text with the same beginning characters as this initial person shows, and no Adobe product can produce it correctly, but every other app I've tried can – even a basic text editor.

র‍্যা

I cannot create this combo of characters above in an Adobe app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anybody find the solution to this issue? I am having the same problem with Bengali text. It looks fine in a word doc, but when I copy and paste it in InDesign it changes the shape of the characters. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there any solution to this? I am seeing a similar issue using Adobe Bengali and InDesign 2018 when copy/pasting OR importing Bengali text from google docs. 

ALL instances of BENGALI VOWEL SIGN O (U+09CB)ো  maps to BENGALI VOWEL SIGN E (U+09C7)ে, and is in the wrong position.

Details: InDesign 2018 with World-ready composer applied, Bengali language dictionary and autocorrect disabled.

Examples:

correct word is প্রকাশযােগ্য   > below 

correct word is যােগেশচন্দ্র  > below.

example of incorrect mapping of bengali vowel O to vowel Eexample of incorrect mapping of bengali vowel O to vowel E

When I paste the incorrect word from InDesign into this form it looks correct, so I had to take a screenshot and save as a jpeg from Pshop.
Unfortunately this is blocking a significant amount of publishing work planned for InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rajashree - Is there someone who can look into the issue I added yesterday?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find the solution? I've a solution for this. Which type of format font did you use? Unicode or ANSI?

Or you may check this video. It might help for you.

Bangla Font Problem Solution in InDesign | বাংলা ফন্ট ভাঙ্গার সমাধান

https://youtu.be/QrowjGaFak0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem in the video is for conjuncts appearing as half-forms incorrectly. The solution is to use the World-ready composer. I've already noted above that it's applied in my case.  My issue is very specific to all O vowels mismapping to the E vowel as already explained. The broader workflow is this:

OCR of Bengali text into Google docs. 100% ACCURATE in google doc using their Unicode fonts. Copy pasting into Indesign and all instances of the O vowel do not map correctly. But when I copy paste the incorrect mapping from InDesign elsewhere it's correct again.

If someone from Adobe would contact me, I could send the files so this can easily be recreated and written up as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Instead of pasting text from Excel to InDesign, what happens when you File->Place the excel file in InDesign?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aman,

I tried placing it into InDesign. It changes as soon as it's placed. I can then copy the incorrect word and paste it back into Excel and it is correct again. It only happens on certain combinations, but since I don't know the Bengali language it's hard for me to understand exactly what's happening.

Thanks for the help,

Sandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy some of your problem phrases as plain text in this forum. That way anyone with a wild guess, idea, hunch, or any previous experience with Bengali can give it a try.

(I have extensive experience with various non-Latin based scripts but I don't find Adobe Bengali in my font list, so that'd be a first for me.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Here are a few of the words I've had problems with.

র‍্যাম্পের

র‍্যাম্পটির

র‍্যাম্পটি

র‍্যাম্পে

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you setting the language to Bengali (India) in the Paragraph Style Options/Advanced Character Formats/Language? This is what I get using it along with Adobe Word-Ready Paragraph Composer and Nirmala UI font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do have Bengali (India) language selected. Because I don't know Bengali I can't tell if what you got is the same as what is in the red boxes on my original post, but in a different font. Looks different to me, but it was in Vrinda font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot read Bengali myself. Obviously the best way would be to show it to a native Bengali speaker and they can tell you if it's right or not. I'm working on a layout of a book in Hindi. Using Hindi language, Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer and an appropriate font produces good results according to my translator in India. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm doing that now. I have used Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer with Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Russian, Haitian, Spanish, and French with no problems. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help. Appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I found the answer when I saw this:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 1.49.05 PM.png

So I tried this in InDesign using my glyph palette. It still comes out like this:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 1.56.38 PM.png

When it should look like this:

Correct.png

I hope someone from Adobe will take a look at this and fix the problem. When incorrect copy in InDesign is pasted into other apps it looks correct. It's got to be either the glyph palette or World-Ready Composer for Bengali.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can get the same result as you, but customer asked for it to look like below example. When I copy and paste what we got into Bengali to English translator, it changes to look like below example that customer asked for. Is it just a font issue and they mean the same thing?

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 9.39.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add that I can copy the word that appears incorrectly in InDesign and paste it into any other application and it appears correctly. It always seems to be the same characters that don't combine properly. That's why I think it's an error in Adobe World-Ready Composer.

If someone could try placing the above words into InDesign to see if they have the same issue that would be awesome. I've run out of things to try. And if it does turn out to be a World-Ready issue, is there some kind of work around?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how related this is, but this may help. We encountered an issue when using the Western version of Indesign to create layouts in Traditional Chinese. The letter spacing of the text was sometimes funky, especially with punctuation. One of my designers was able to find a doc on the below website that allowed him to copy/paste a paragraph of copy that then added Chinese:Traditional to the language preferences in the Character palette. This fixed our issues. Perhaps this is related to that issue.

TransPacificDigital: Downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: I sumbitted a ticket to Adobe in October, 2019: CASE ID E-000065672. Here's their response: "I have logged a BUG and reported this to engineering and i have also mentioned the UserVoice link"

After showing them the issue, they identified it as a BUG.

I saw a reply from someone recently about unicode vs ANSI font formats. I don't own any ANSI fonts any longer, and I can't understand the person in the video unfortunately, but going backwards to a very old font version would not be a good option if that's what she is suggesting. 

I have not tested the latest version of InDesign to see if this is fixed, but will try to do that this week and update this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commonly Bengali has two types of font engine. 1. Ansi 2. Unicode. 

Helal_uddin_0-1598627219972.png

I think this font is Unicode based. This is a very common issue if you don't select the paragraph composer as a World ready composer. Just change the composer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, everything that could be tested and tried has been done. I don't mean to be rude, but do you think Adobe would classify this as a bug without thoroughly testing and trying the various paragraph composers? That was the very first thing I tried WAY before bringing the issue to Adobe.  

We did thorough testing with multiple fonts and formats. The text is perfectly ok in Microsoft and Apple applications, even when naming a file or folder in the macOS Finder, but not in any Adobe applications, so the issue is also not with the font. I even installed the middle eastern version of InDesign to test further (I don't remember the exact name of the version, but it encompasses Bengali). Nothing worked. It's a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines