• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would I be able one day to use a recent version of Indesign ?

Participant ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, it's been two years this bug has not been fixed.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/the-quot-import-pdf-comments-quot-issue/m-p/1204...

I see new Indesign versions come one after one , try them all with hope.
But no, I still have to use Indesign 2014 to do my work...

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, most likely not. This is something which most users don't need. Personally, I don't even have a clue of the benefit of comments in a PDF and even less of the use in Indesign. 

Next, what you show us seems just to be a graphical issue, because I suppose the comments are still there and only the placeholders vanish. This could be a simple graphics card & driver problem, not related to ID at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it’s a graphic card issue. It works with no trouble in Indesign 2014.

The issue is on Windows and MacOS, so it can't be related to hardware.

The benefice of this feature is the same as sharing for revision (and the bug is there as well)
1) Sending a PDF which contains à lot of text to someone who will make corrections in Acrobat with comments.
2) Importing the PDF comments in Indesign, and apply the correction without the need to type them manually one by one.

It's a powerful feature when you have a lot of corrections to apply, which is often the case in my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It works with no trouble in Indesign 2014." - That doesn't negate the unconfirmed possibility of a graphics driver related bug, because ID definitely doesn't use the same way of addressing the driver like they did in 2014.

Anyway, I can understand point 2, but why so complicated? Most people would use word for this. Word has a much better comment system than a PDF. You would copy and paste the corrected parts from the Word file to Indesign. Inside Indesign you would have to do the same, from the imported comment list to your document text. I would never use a PDF and work with PDF comment for review sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I work on comics.
Word is never included in the workflow.
Once the texts are put in the cases, there is still a lot of change to make, like improving the translation, reduce the length, correct the spelling. A lot of things that you cannot really see on a word document, without the art draws. Japanese authors also need to check the final PDF, and sometimes ask for changes.
a.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at InCopy to allow text edits?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, I can understand point 2, but why so complicated? Most people would use word for this. Word has a much better comment system than a PDF. You would copy and paste the corrected parts from the Word file to Indesign. Inside Indesign you would have to do the same, from the imported comment list to your document text. I would never use a PDF and work with PDF comment for review sharing.

By @Doc Maik

That's your opinion, @Doc Maik but I agree with @AlexUzan : importing PDF comments is a very handful feature when you need to get corrections from different people. No need to find where is the text to modify, no need to copy and paste, no need to switch between Word and InDesign.

@AlexUzan do you actually often apply stroke to text? 

Edit: while I was answering you have posted the comics you are working on and I now understand better why you need to get strokes on the text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jim,

Yes, I do because, as I mentionded above, I work on comics.
So almost every text has a stroke applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jm (Jean-Marc), not Jim 😉

Did you try to use a solid drop shadow, instead of a stroke, like this?

Capture d’écran 2021-11-11 à 12.40.22.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, we work with files on bitmap space color.
When you add a FX on a bitmap file, it can produce some artifacts if you not use the last PDF profile for print.
And unfortunately, the print company we work with, still use 1.3.
Here's what you get when you use a FX on a 12000p bitmap files, and export a pdf with profile 1.3 (Up) and 1.7 (bottom) :

zz.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean 1200ppp 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if the InDesign file uses only black for the text, you could place the bitmap files (also using only black) and export as PDF without any problems. Or do I miss something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t really understand what you mean.
We usually use only black or white text, with or without a stroke (opposite color).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

tested with your 2019 document and had a crash while trying to import my commented PDF to the PDF Comments panel.

Also replied about this in your other thread you linked to.

The next crash happened with InDesign 2022 version 17.0.0.96 after I opened and saved the document to 17.0.0.96 and tried to import the commented PDF that I exported from the 2019 document.

I will do all my next comments about the crash in your other thread about the PDF Comments issue.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Here's a new one with a simpler font.
https://we.tl/t-pZ894QWtbg

If it crashs, you can reproduce it quick easily.
I just created a text, duplicated it, and add à stroke on the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I mean, it's been two years this bug has not been fixed.

Is there any link to this bug on indesign.uservoice.com ?  Without it and without "voices" on this bug Adobe will never do anything to fix it.  

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Ok, zero vote.

Here the sad true. Catch one my voice. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know...

That's why I asked if I'm condemned to use the bug free version from 2 years ago.

It's in this sutuation that subsciption is a pain.
Paying every month without to be able to update your app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about to forget the bug with some workaround? You are now have text with stroke that lose a comments, do the space symbol with a character style inside text that not contain any stroke and comment that space symbol. Is it works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha.

Well, I like a workaround, but it's not supposed to make my work more painful.

PDF comments are used to replace the text as well.

So if the word stunning has to be replaced by wonderful, I will have to change it manually.

Every time.
With Indesign 2014, i just have to click "accept this comment", and go to the next one.
Very useful when I have more than 400 comments in a project.
I'm not asking for a new feature. Just the same one which used to work before Indesign 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AlexUzan said: "Here's a new one with a simpler font."

Hi Alex,

thanks for the link. I can confirm the bug. No crash this time.

Comments added in Acrobat Pro:

BUG-CommentAdded-ACROBAT-PRO.PNG

Comment on text with stroke applied on wrong position ( at the end of the paragraph or the story ) :

BUG-CommentAddedAtWrongPosition-INDD-17.0.0.96.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted and commented your bug report at InDesign UserVoice.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use InDesign's import PDF Comments feature almost every day. Very few problems with the utility, but there are some caveats to know:

• Once the PDF is made, do not edit the text in the original source InDesign file until after you bring in the editor's commented PDF. Don't change it's appearance, or add/delete text content.
  • Once you've brought and processed the editor's comments into the original source InDesign layout, then go ahead and make other editorial/design changes to the text content.
  • Once you're done making the editor's changes, go ahead an delete them from InDesign's comments panel. They're not needed anymore (they'll still be in the PDF if you need to refer back to them later).

In the link above https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/the-quot-import-pdf-comments-quot-issue/m-p/1204...  It's difficult to tell when the text is having the stroke added:

• Is the text being stroked in the original InDesign layout, then PDF'd, and then brought in with comments?
  • Or is the text being stroked after the PDF has been made, but before the comments have been brought in? If this is the case, then yes, the comment markers will go haywire.

Remember, once the PDF is made, don't change the text until you have the editor's comments brought in and completed.

I don't know if this is a bug, maybe more it's just the way InDesign and PDFs coordinate.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines