Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you 'offset path' in Indesign

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick one

Can you off set path in Indesign, if so how??

Cheers

Andy

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Well it's not offsetting as such in illustrator

But in the top bar (the control bar)

When you select your frame set the Proxy on the left (the square shape with 8 squares around and 1 inside it) set the black square in the middle.

In the Width/Height information (make sure the link button is on (to the right of it) and type in 3mm and hold down alt and press enter

That will duplicate the frame you have - effectively offsetting it.

You can then group them - does that do what you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's not illustrator.

What are you trying to do? There may be another way to achieve what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i normally build adverts with borders in Illustrator, i 'offset path' my borders for accurarcy and its far easier to zero X and Y. Sloppy artist using Illustrator for ad building use the strokes to create borders which are NEVER the correct size and NEVER zero to X and Y.

I real want to change to Indesign but i can see limitation for the type of work i create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's not offsetting as such in illustrator

But in the top bar (the control bar)

When you select your frame set the Proxy on the left (the square shape with 8 squares around and 1 inside it) set the black square in the middle.

In the Width/Height information (make sure the link button is on (to the right of it) and type in 3mm and hold down alt and press enter

That will duplicate the frame you have - effectively offsetting it.

You can then group them - does that do what you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats wicked, thats a great tip. Its near as dam it 'offset pathing within Indesgin, your a top man Eugene.

Just showed the team that neat trick and it got a big wowwww, question is do i claim that wicked trick as my own, lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You add and substract, divide and multiply in the Transformation (in nearly every part where you can add dimensions)

That trick is an old one - not even I can claim it - it belongs to the InDesign wizards of yesteryear, nobody is 100% sure who discovered it, but rumours are always awry.

You can do the same thing in Illustrator - holding down Alt will make copy - it's pretty neat trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually set the stroke to align to inside on border. That lets me accuratly size and position them. Is that what you have in mind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah thats how i have been doing my borders. I set my defaults so my stroke always strokes to the outside. Its very handy and quick. The offset path is a great tool when constructing detailed shapes etc, i will leave that to illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you set default in InDesign to always stroke to the outside?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is 9 years old. You don’t need two frames to offset a stroke, it can be done via a custom Stroke Style applied to the single frame:

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doh! Thanks Rob!

EDIT: Actually, when using this method for offset stroke you need to manually calculate the actual point size for the stroke, as with Stroke Styles you're only allowed to give percentages so you need to calculate for example a 10 % width stroke with a 100 pt stroke weight would equal 10 pt stroke from 90 pt away of the path. It's not ease to set the exact wanted distance and width.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day: Thanks for this tip! Just made my job so much easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for posting this! I was scouring the forums, etc., looking for an easy, if manual, way to do this, but your update to the thread is exactly what I needed.  Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anssikumpula,

as with all settings for items you like to change the default behavior:

Do it for new frames you draw with your active document when nothing is selected.

Do it for new documents when no document is open.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, silly me! Thanks Uwe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the correct way to get 'offset paths' ..  I wish things were a bit more consistent and we have the same options throughout all the software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines