Highlighted

How do I change the color picker in InDesign (2019)

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho do I change the color picker/color space view to what it looks like in the other Adobe programs?

I have problems with the look and function of this color view.

Color picker.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

InDesign doesn’t have an HSB view. The Lab L view is similar, where H & S are in the color field and B is in the slider.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-do-i-achieve-the-same-hsb-colour-photoshop-in-indesign/m-p/10088737

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I change the color picker in InDesign (2019)

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho do I change the color picker/color space view to what it looks like in the other Adobe programs?

I have problems with the look and function of this color view.

Color picker.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

InDesign doesn’t have an HSB view. The Lab L view is similar, where H & S are in the color field and B is in the slider.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-do-i-achieve-the-same-hsb-colour-photoshop-in-indesign/m-p/10088737

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-do-i-achieve-the-same-hsb-colour-photoshop-in-indesign/m...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for being clear and adding the link. I find it very frustrating that the Adobe employees responsible for this refuse to make the color picker consistent with other CC programs. I see zero reasons for not using HSB view. These programs are tools and the more consistent these tools are the better. This is bad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2020 0
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign’s color management is more complicated than CM in Photoshop and Illustrator.

In Photoshop and AI the document has a single color mode, so when you pick a color from the abstract Hue color field, and apply it to the document, the picked color gets explicitly converted into the document’s color space—if the document color mode is RGB you know you are actually picking an RGB color even though the color field view is Hue.

With InDesign the document doesn’t have a color space, there can be a mix of Lab, RGB, or CMYK colored native objects on the same page. If InDesign gets a Hue color view there will have to be a way for the user to also choose which of the color modes the color chosen from the Hue view will get converted into for the swatch or color fill.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an issue of document complexity - it is interface user preference.

The software is capable of determining which colour to output upon export, the user should be able to still view the colour wheel in whichever version works for them.

Indesign certainly used to present the wheel in the same way as the other programmes. I'm confused as to why there is not an easy fix for this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This is definitely a new issue - I never used to be forced to view the colour picker in RGB mode

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
rob day LATEST
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Color Picker from ID CS6:

Screen Shot 30.png

and CC2014

Screen Shot 31.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1