• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the color picker in InDesign (2019)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho do I change the color picker/color space view to what it looks like in the other Adobe programs?

I have problems with the look and function of this color view.

Color picker.jpg

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

InDesign doesn’t have an HSB view. The Lab L view is similar, where H & S are in the color field and B is in the slider.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-do-i-achieve-the-same-hsb-colour-photoshop-in-indesign/m-p/10088737

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

CC2021 now has an HSB Color Space View.

If you haven’t upgraded set the Lab a & b values to 0 with the L radio button selected, and you will get a gray slider:

Screen Shot 26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Click on the color picker, after the dialogue box opens up it will look something like the image below. As you can  see it by default the option R will be selected (The one highlighted in blue). Now all you have to do is just select the circle next to the letter H and it will activate your HSB view which will look like the 2nd img below.  color picker RGB.JPGcolor picker.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn’t have an HSB view. The Lab L view is similar, where H & S are in the color field and B is in the slider.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-do-i-achieve-the-same-hsb-colour-photoshop-in-indesign/m...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for being clear and adding the link. I find it very frustrating that the Adobe employees responsible for this refuse to make the color picker consistent with other CC programs. I see zero reasons for not using HSB view. These programs are tools and the more consistent these tools are the better. This is bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign’s color management is more complicated than CM in Photoshop and Illustrator.

In Photoshop and AI the document has a single color mode, so when you pick a color from the abstract Hue color field, and apply it to the document, the picked color gets explicitly converted into the document’s color space—if the document color mode is RGB you know you are actually picking an RGB color even though the color field view is Hue.

With InDesign the document doesn’t have a color space, there can be a mix of Lab, RGB, or CMYK colored native objects on the same page. If InDesign gets a Hue color view there will have to be a way for the user to also choose which of the color modes the color chosen from the Hue view will get converted into for the swatch or color fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an issue of document complexity - it is interface user preference.

The software is capable of determining which colour to output upon export, the user should be able to still view the colour wheel in whichever version works for them.

Indesign certainly used to present the wheel in the same way as the other programmes. I'm confused as to why there is not an easy fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link is very helpful to understand changing the color in the picture because I solved my problem with my revenge hoodie xxxtentacion webpage due to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This is definitely a new issue - I never used to be forced to view the colour picker in RGB mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Color Picker from ID CS6:

Screen Shot 30.png

and CC2014

Screen Shot 31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All 

I have installed Indesign Softwere 2020 and i wanted to change the Background of the Softwere in "White"

insted of "Gray" color how can i do that.

pls suggest me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences>Interface>Appearance>Color Theme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob,

its working Fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This color picker is cancer. I can't even pick a gray color because the slider is mad confusing. SO FRUSTRATING OMADFJALDKFJALDFJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC2021 now has an HSB Color Space View.

If you haven’t upgraded set the Lab a & b values to 0 with the L radio button selected, and you will get a gray slider:

Screen Shot 26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To update this thread, InDesign 2021 adds the HSB view which looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 4.57.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, InDesign 2021 can also save HSB swatches (which are really stored as RGB):

HSBSwatch.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the color picker, after the dialogue box opens up it will look something like the image below. As you can  see it by default the option R will be selected (The one highlighted in blue). Now all you have to do is just select the circle next to the letter H and it will activate your HSB view which will look like the 2nd img below.  color picker RGB.JPGcolor picker.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah you absolute delight. Saved me some additional hairloss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah indeed! Thank you saviour! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soo much! You absolutely saved me. I was even considering giving up Indesign because of that feature 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This should also be marked as a correct answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M.L.S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select H under the HSB options. Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 1.14.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click either the Fill or Stroke box in the Toolbox or the Color panel to open the Color Picker. Select the desired color, and click OK , i  have designed  my websit( pickleball ) images  this method that was perfect design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I understand what you mean and this is an easy way to pull up
the color picker, but what I'm looking for is to make the window behave
like it does in Photoshop and illustrator; with a consistent behavior
inside the window. As it stands now, if you click on the dot next to R or G
or B, the diagram changes. I dont want that.
What I later figured out and answered my original question is that you need
to click the dot next to the H instead. This way you see a color diagram on
the left side with a color bar next to it that you can slide up and down
and change the diagram.

--
Best,
*Pete*

www.hardline.design

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this
message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or
disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the
sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines