Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I set InDesign hyperlinks to open a new tab in browser

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am trying to work out how to set InDesign hyperlinks to open a new tab in a browser. It is not convenient for me to recreate or edit the links in Acrobat as we have alot of links within documents, so I am looking for an InDesign solution.

Kind regards

Daniel

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Hi Daniel, 

I am afraid, InDesign doesn't have this option right now. Please share this as a feature request here ( https://indesign.uservoice.com/ ).

This forum is directly monitored by our developers, they might look into implementing it in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel, 

I am afraid, InDesign doesn't have this option right now. Please share this as a feature request here ( https://indesign.uservoice.com/ ).

This forum is directly monitored by our developers, they might look into implementing it in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti

Thanks for the feedback, I have added the request to the forum as suggested. Hopefully this is something that can be incorporated quickly as it seems like a simple feature that would benefit alot of people. As it stands I have to use an ugly flipbook software method which seems a bit dated but does allow this feature as standard.

Regards

Danel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give link to your request on uservoice here. And somebody who likes your idea will add "plus" if knows where your post.  

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello please now is almost new 2024 and still nothing for hyperlinks?
Ples can you make that happen in Acrobat or InDesign.

Whish you all the best in new year 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add target="_blank" in Indesign hyperlink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that - I was thinking of something else - apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fine, I tried it just in case it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An even better level of control, so that one 'link group' doesn't open tab after tab, is to use a named destination: target="MYTAB" or the like. Every link with this target will open in the same tab (a new one, if it doesn't exist), which can make sense for serial, related information — say, several web pages of specs about a single product, book, service etc.

(I find links that open one new tab after another for related information to be... annoying. 🙂 )

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been researching the same thing for hours now and I'm on Adobe Help Chat but not looking good.

To me, the ability to determine HOW a hyperlink opens is just as important as the link itself. The fact that code that's been used as an <A> tag modifier since HTML 3 is still not available is amazing to me when I see all the pointless features I never use in InDesign being added. Acrobat has the ability to read it since it's the only current way to set a Target="_blank" to get a new window at the current time. If Acrobat can read it, InDesign should be able to insert in and keep it with the hyperlink library for future updates. This isn't a bug, to me this is a broken feature.

Here's an additional place to insert your comments and suggestins, since this one doesn't seem to be getting much traction.
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37223290-op...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for this. Can't believe it's still not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can search for requested features - or request your own feature update

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene is right, but not fully. You will wait these things decades of years, as Adobe love do (hey,  Adobe - hello with top-1/2/3 request to you, it's a shame of the shame). 

Do some better "uservoice attack". Do as Eugene say, then

- Catch all similar requests and post in it about to merge into one (post link in this post that you think is main thread about). Repeat this every month if they won't merge it;

- Do a "voice" in the main thread;

- Say us here that you find or make your feature request, give a link and then future forum readers who's needs this too will add a voice to it. 

P.S. Feature request about this thread problem "ready" years ago. See "correct answer". 2023-2019=4 years. 4 is not a 10 <devil smile>

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/37223290-op...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional information and helpful reply.

You can of course escalate your requests as pointed out - and it can take a long time to come to fruition.

Hopefully it's resolved soon enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines