Updated Lightroom to 11.0 this morning. The first message I get is "Cannot convert catalog" and reference to an Adobe webpage.
I've checked and there is no LRCAT.LOCK file. All my other catalogs have converted with no problems. It's the big one (of course) that is an issue.
I'm running an Intel iMac 27in (2019) with 64GB Ram and about 300GB free on the main hard drive. Photos are stored both on the main drive and an external drive. This is a configuration I've used extensively for a few years now and have about 112000 photos in the catalog. The OS is macOS Big Sur v11.6.
Any suggestions are appreciated. In the interim I've started a new catalog and am "adding in place" the photo files. That means I'll lose the collections, but I guess there are worse outcomes possible.
Lightroom Classic 11.0.1 was released on 11.15.2021 and contains a fix for this issue. Please refresh your Creative Cloud Application ([Cmd/Ctrl]+[Opt/Alt]+[ R ])and install the Lightroom Classic update. Thank you for your patience.
To those who have sent catalogs, thank you. We do not need additional catalogs at this time.
At this time our investigation has revealed a small number of customers with an update issue that will be remedied in our next release. Evaluating catalogs sent to us (thank you) has revealed three classes of failure:
Customers who are affected by this bug (We've returned catalogs for the original group supplied to us)
Customers whose catalogs have no issue upgrading o