• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CC jumps to front when opening files in the background.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I'm in Lightroom and I want to open 5 or 6 shots into PS CC, and while they're opening I want to jump over to Chrome and check my email. Is PS supposed to keep jumping to the front every time another file opens? It's pretty frustrating and I don't remember it happening in previous versions of PS.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017
Hi Everyone,

This should be resolved in the 19.0 update. We are currently on 19.0.1. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
98 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Isaac,

When you say that it doesn't help you were you referring to the workaround I mentioned above? Did you try enabling "Open Documents As Tabs"?

Preferences > Workspace > Open Documents As Tabs 

RackMultipart2018011081585gmc1-1e8c2b0a-74f9-4da0-9944-4f339ec17e5e-2075469767.png

Regarding your second issue, what OS are you on? Would you mind creating another thread for that since it is a different issue? 

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Only macs”. Lol. No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

So when you use the Image Processor on a PC you're also seeing this behavior? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am yes, Photoshop takes so long to open, that I usually click on it and then go back to my browser to do other things while I wait.  Focus is always pulled back (multiple times if I click away) until PS fully loads.  I have Windows 10, and the latest version of EVERYTHING.  I stay current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Are you talking about simply opening Photoshop on a Win machine and it steals focus or batch processing with the Image Processor? I just want to be clear that we're talking about the same thing. The workaround I mentioned was related to batch processing with the Image Processor.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm talking about just clicking my shortcut to open PS and it steals focus from ANYTHING ELSE until it fully opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok YES that worked thank you Hannah! I don't work in tabs so I'd still be interested in being notified when it's finally been eliminated, but this will certainly be helpful for now. Slightly inconvenient to have to turn tabs off and on, but at least not paralyzing! Speaking of no tabs...when I open images without tabs turned on, they open to the very far left of the screen instead of centered. So I'm dragging each and every time I open an image. Is there anything I can do to have images open centered on the screen - you know, where my face is? Thanks again for the work around for the screen steal issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

separate issue

Please reference the new conversation here: Drag a Photo over the Photoshop App in the Toolbar, Photo Opens but Photoshop Doe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

separate issue

Please reference the new conversation here: Drag a Photo over the Photoshop App in the Toolbar, Photo Opens but Photoshop Doe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help > System Info... and copy/paste the text in a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it! If you want to stay updated on this issue related to PS stealing focus when running batch processes with the Image Processor, the easiest way would be to start another thread. 

Regarding your other question, about opening documents in the center, that makes sense to me but I haven't found a way to make it happen automatically. I'll let you know if I find one.

Regards,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - would appreciate that. I found and downloaded a script a few years ago that came close. It centered images to screen upon opening, but only vertical or horizontal images, can't remember which. Somewhere along the way in updating I lost that script and haven't been able to locate it again. But for you guys setting images to default to center upon opening should be like, pretty easy stuff. Is best way to start a thread for that too maybe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fyi - just tested, and while the tab work-around did eliminate the screen steal when running image processing, it still steals when running Contact Sheet II. Not as debilitating bc usually that's fewer images/time involved; but still problematic. Have not tested any of the other batch processes. I've started the new thread, hopefully that will bring updates. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback and for starting a new thread - I'll attach an internal link to that case and it will make it easier to keep you posted on updates. Sorry to hear the workaround wasn't as ideal as hoped.

Regards,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better than it was! Thanks for linking - 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job on the post btw - it's thorough. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having the same issue since switching from CS to CC years ago. PS or AI jumps to the front while opening the application. Very annoying while trying to do other things. It used to open in the background. Please advise on a setting fix or update. I have enterprise management of updates, so I assume I am up to date on versions, but don't see a release number the seems to correspond to the 19.1.0 mentioned. Where do I find what release I have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 20180103.r26 x64 Mac OS 10.10.5 -- this still happens. I thought it was due to some auto-backup or some CC cloud junk. It is annoying though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

To find the release version of Photoshop that you're running, in Photoshop, go to Help > System Info and then copy and paste the top line here.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but the issue has not been resolved - I've been watching this issue for a long time, and it's mighty annoying that it's not been solved after all this time. Any word on whether it's just the status quo now, or if there's still a chance it will be solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Francis,

What build are you seeing this on? Can you please go to Help > System Info and copy and paste the contents of that window here?

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hannah - we go back a ways with this, but I am seeing the issue finally resolved on my system, running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and CC 19.1.6. Just recently updated both  - so I'm not 100% sure if it was one update or the other, or combo of both together, that ultimately fixed it. But I'm fairly certain that it was still stealing after first downloading CC 19.1.6 a couple of days ago, but once I installed the latest Mac update (this morning) I'm seeing the problem gone today for the first time in years. Just wanted to let u know and say thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Awesome -- glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know! 🙂

Hannah 

Votes

Translate