P: CR/Lr select subject not working properly

1 Vote
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to a new 14" Macbook Pro from an older 2017 13" Macbook Pro for smoother and faster photo editing. I love the new laptop and it performs great, except for the fact that the select subject feature in ACR is not nearly as accurate as on my previous Macbook. I just did a little test to see what the effect would be in Lightroom and there the select subject is just as accurate as before.

Is there a setting that I can change to increase the accuracy or is this a problem that occurs with the latest version of ACR?

P.S. I prefer editing my images with Adobe Bridge and ACR rather that with Lightroom

Bug Started
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022
Adding Ian's bug number - setting status. 
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no settings for “accuracy” and it's odd LR is fine, not the same. This is an M1?

Perhaps it's a GPU issue and you can play around with setting it in preferences; worth a try.

If you could export a DNG with a mask in both products and upload via something like Dropbox, we could examine both masks from each product. That be useful.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is an M1 Macbook Pro. I checked the GPU settings and is is already set to support at full acceleration.

I'll upload a .DNG file with examples of the different masks to Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp7yvv1bo4afv4i/ACR%20select%20subject.DNG?dl=0. Just note that the current mask I get from Lr is the same as the mask I got on my Intel Mac in ACR. I clearly marked the masks to indicate where they come from.

I have also re-installed the latest 14.1 version of ACR, but that didnt make a difference

I would really appreciate some help as I have tons of editing to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the DNG with the four masks and yes, there is a huge difference and this is very odd.

On my Intel Mac, I made a mask (Select Subject) and got what visually appears identical to the mask you got on your intel so that's consistant. Why the M1 isn't doing the same is odd and someone on the team needs to look into this.

On the M1, is there any difference if you disable GPU in preferences or alter the settings there?

What if you clean (Purge) the Cache in the same preferences?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported a 'Subject' mask bug elsewhere for LrC, LrD and ACR when using Rosetta emulation mode.  If you're using Camera Raw via Adobe Bridge, then it's running in emulation mode since Bridge is still not yet M1 native. The workaround until  the Bridge team get their 'backsides' into gear is to use ACR from within Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked your DNG image and can confirm that the issue you see is the same as I reported previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, so when Bridge hosts ACR, unlike say Photoshop, that affects M1 native.

This would be a great test; compare ACR hosted by Bridge and ACR hosted by Photoshop and upload a DNG from both using the same raw. If ACR hosted by Photoshop works, it also explains why Lightroom Classic works properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been there, done it, got the proverbial T-shirt. Basically, if using Rosetta emulation mode it doesn't make any difference as to whether it's Photoshop/Bridge hosted ACR, LrC or LrD, the 'Subject' mask is garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you, I was suggesting the OP try it as a fix.

I can't, I'm waiting on an M1 (hopefully iMac Mini) in a few months. But what you say makes perfect sense and it is a good fix for the OP; avoid Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding Ian's bug number - setting status. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Bug Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same experience here. Whe ACR module used under non M1 Bridge, masking does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate