Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Delay after selecting Export

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys !

After the latest update, I'm facing a rather annoying problem. After I do all my export settings and press EXPORT Button, LR seems to time out for a couple of minutes (and don't respond) until it starts the export. After that the export time is quick as usual ! 

LR Classic ver 12

MacOS Monterey 12,6

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Update:@johnrellis  
I was finally able to repro this on an older Win 10 system. I will update the investigation bug with the new information. 

Update: Newer posts by some customers indicate that a drop shadow on a text watermark will induce bad behavior. I've tested and see no evidence of that based upon the information provided so far. 

Testing on a Mid 2022 Macbook Pro M1 using OS 12.6 and LrC 12.0.1

1. Create a Watermark with Text containing a drop shadow.
  2.  Export 23 raw files to full size JP
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Updating status to Fixed

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 139 Replies 139
139 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To date, ten others have reported similar symptoms:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/long-wait-after-pressing-export/m-p/132...

At least one person reported that unchecking Preferences > Performance > Use GPU For Export worked around the problem. But others report it didn't help.  Worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this existing thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/long-wait-after-pressing-export/m-p/132...

A total of 11 people have reported these symptoms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issues when trying to export, nothing happens for about 1 minute and fifty seconds and then it exports as usual. Totally frustrating. I hope Adobe come up with a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thanks for reporting the issue. 

We verified this, we are not seeing the slowness. Could you share a screen recording of the whole process so that we know what is happening. The screen recording will be helpful in reproducing the slowness and finding the rootcause. 

Thank you!

Venkatesh Penjuri
Adobe Lightroom Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the slow down only occurs when exporting with a watermark. 36 photos took 58 seconds w/o graphics acceleration and 36 seconds w/ graphics acceleration when NOT applying a watermark. When exporting with a watermark and all other settings the same, it easily took over 10 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:@johnrellis  
I was finally able to repro this on an older Win 10 system. I will update the investigation bug with the new information. 

Update: Newer posts by some customers indicate that a drop shadow on a text watermark will induce bad behavior. I've tested and see no evidence of that based upon the information provided so far. 

Testing on a Mid 2022 Macbook Pro M1 using OS 12.6 and LrC 12.0.1

1. Create a Watermark with Text containing a drop shadow.
  2.  Export 23 raw files to full size JPEG (25 seconds to finished export)
  3.  Export 23 raw files to full size JPEG with watermark from step 1 (23 seconds to finished export) 
  4.  Export 23 raw files to full size JPEG with watermark with shadow opacity reduced to 50%) (23 seconds to finished export.
  5. Export 23 raw files to full size JPEG with Graphic Watermark at 50% opacity (14 seconds to finished export)

In all cases the progress bar begins to move at about the 2 second mark. 

While it may be that a drop shadow on a text watrmark lies at the root of the issues you are seeing with delayed start on Mac export, we are still unable to reproduce this. 

If anyone sees something I missed or, can add to the instructions provided by others, I would be happy to review them. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick, I would need to upgrade to 13 again. Can you give me an email to forward the video to?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another matter. what takes long in our case is the start of the export and not the export in it self.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To 12 I mean...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think we are getting closer tahnks to a previous repply. If I export without a watermark it works normal. the issue is with the Watermark.

Where do you want me to send the video? @Venkatesh Penjuri 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@devilla.mac I tired exporting with a few watermarks both text and graphic, did not find slowness. A screengrab should help, you can upload the video on any file sharing service you prefer and share the link with me.  

Venkatesh Penjuri
Adobe Lightroom Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a any service to share files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was that enough? Will you be able to fix this? I really hate going back and forth between version to prove that there is something wrong with your software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Venkatesh Penjuri Here is a video showing the slowdown during export with a watermark: https://youtu.be/mrQKqLtsCSU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@devilla.mac Thank you for sharing the video. A few questions:

1. Does the slowness happen only with 'Export with previous' or even by export via export dialog box?

2. What kind of watermark do you use? Is it a Png/JPG/basic text?

3. If it is a png/jpg, what is the file size of the watermark you are using?

4. Are you exporting the image to a Harddrive/NAS/local storage?

Thanks!

Venkatesh Penjuri
Adobe Lightroom Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChanSkinner Thanks for recording the comparison. Is this a consistant behavior with and without watermark? Do you see the same delay even with a single image? 

Do you use a png/jpg watermark? if so, could you share a sample watermark with us.

Venkatesh Penjuri
Adobe Lightroom Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sample is with the export of a single image. 30 to start exporting. I have a maxedout Mac Studio with 128GB Ram. I believe somebody already told you that it is the same it is text or an image. So size or resolution is irrelevant. Especially when it all works fine in version 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only an issue when a watermark is applied. The same delay is present with just a single image when adding a watermark. It is a simple text watermark, attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*30 seconds

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I the only one who reports this?

I see very noticeable performance degradation at export times, especially when using masks...

Mac Monterey 12.6

plenty of hard disk space and performance potential on my mac:

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
  • 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
  • 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
  • Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Updated to include Windows 11 results and the export presets in the catalog folder]

Starting with LR 11.4 (which added GPU For Export), adding a shadow to a text watermark slows down export by 3x or more, regardless of whether GPU For Export is enabled or not.  This strongly suggests that modifying export to use the GPU introduced a performance bug with text shadows.

I timed the export of 16 sample .cr3s from the Canon EOS R5 and R6 with all combinations of:

- LR 12.0.1, LR 11.4, and LR 11.3.1 on Mac OS 12.6.1, and LR 12.0.1 on Windows 11 (that has no GPU).

- Use GPU For Export, Use GPU For Image Processing, Use GPU Off.

- A text watermark with Shadows enabled and Shadows disabled.

The detailed results are below. With the GPU off in LR 11.4 and later, shadows slowed down export by 3x. With GPU For Export enabled, the slowth was even more at 4 - 5x, but my Macbook only has 4 GB of VRAM (half of the recommended minimum for that option), so that could be contributing to the worse performance relative to GPU Off.

You can download the test catalog and photos from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy5msbfw2ahr1b3/Watermark.2022.11.08.zip?dl=0 

The catalog folder also contains the two watermark presets and two export presets referencing them, as well as mac-system-info.txt and win-system-info.txt.

Mac OS 12.6.1:

johnrellis_0-1667870520653.png

Windows 11:

johnrellis_0-1667928390633.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChanSkinner ,  I think you're tripping over a different problem than the original symptoms reported in this thread.  After observing very poor export performance with your text watermark, I identified a severe performance bug with text shadows in watermarks that was introduced in LR 11.4 (when Use GPU For Export was introduced).  In my tests, in LR 11.4 and later export slowed down by 3 - 5x when shadows were enabled, regardless of whether the GPU was enabled.  This suggests the bug was introduced when export in LR 11.4 was significantly modified to optionally allow use of the GPU.

The detailed bug report is here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/shadow-in-text-watermarks-slows-down-export-by...

The original symptoms reported in this thread that most of the others here are experiencing are different -- after clicking Export, LR is pausing 30 seconds or more without doing anything, and then export proceeds at the normal rate.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutly right. After turning off the shadow in my watermark, the photos exported at expected speeds. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate