• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit In External Editor does not work/function

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not send images from LR4 to any external editor via Photo>Edit In. My system is Mac OS 10.7.3. Using the Edit In command fails to open the external editor and no error message results. This occurs whether the images have the 2012 Process Version applied or not. My external editors are primarily PSE10 and Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.0. This is an important part of my workflow.

I have reinstalled PSE10 and updated to the newest version of Silver Efex Pro.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012
Note: If you're setting Photoshop Elements up as an External Editor, make sure you choose the "Photoshop Elements Editor" not the alias for Photoshop Elements (which launches the welcome screen):

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012
Lightroom 4.1 is now available on Adobe Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Includes a fix for this issue, plus several other top issues and includes 5D Mk III support:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 432 Replies 432
432 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more to count:

Mac OSX 10.7.3, LR 4, PSE 9, Nik Silver Efex Pro, Noise Ninja

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this bug is now tied for first place in terms of most commonly reported with 55 votes:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

A dubious honor for those of us suffering from it, to be sure. But, if you haven't already, please go to that index page and click on the star so your "vote" is counted. Maybe Adobe will take more notice of our ever-growing group if we stay on top of the list. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for information : On my Windows 7 64 bit system an uninstall of Photoshop Elements 6 and re install of same fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem on my IMac.... Lightroom 4 gives no response whatsoever to attempts to use Elements10 as external editor.
Since Lightroom 3 is working just fine on the same machine, the problem is obviously in Lightroom 4 ! When is Adobe going to fix this?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is the data in the plist itself. The KB article did not mention any other check Lr does so I have kind of run out of ideas to try and fool it. Unless it looks for the physical installed files

The last one I can think of (if someone has the time lol) is to:
1) install Trial CS5 copy the plist file and move it in a safe directory somewhere. 2) Then uninstall CS5 and verify the problem retuns.
3) Then go back in and paste the saved Plist file back where it should be (without installing CS5) in the library
4) Check and see if that did the trick.

However there could be a flaw to this reasoning. Because Mac has a much more friendly Resigistry it could be that the data in the plist files themselves are changed as needed, when needed, for programs to pass information to each other. I think this is indicated in the above list where some Plist files are listed as being "rw" possibly meaning Read/Write access?

Unfortuanly if this is the case not much anyone can do except wait for adobe. Can only wait and see what next week brings, but hopefully they havent shipped the physical disks yet as it would be unfortuatly no advantage to have the flawed DVD except for the nice box and DVD holder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4 error in Edit in. None of my plugs in work, reports error. Also when I installed LR 4 the LR 4 Beta was deleted and uninstalled, I do not have Photoshop. I am running a Windows computer with Windows 7 64 bit OS. This problem has affected thousands of users from what I can see. When are you going to correct the bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My new LR 4 does not open my plug-ins. The previous version - LR 3 - still opens them. What is the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked with PSE10 on my windows 7 machine. Go to regedit, then to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\

(add) PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

(Default) C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 10\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

(Path) C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 10

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JustMe06.
The registry patch worked for me on Win7.
I can now access my Topaz Labs Plugins and PaintShop Pro.

Wonder how long it will take Adobe to issue a fix, now that the cause has been identified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm on OSX Lion that installing Photoshop CS 5 does allow Lightroom to use "Edit in" apps again. So that's a valid (but not great) work around until they get this fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with inability to edit with Silver efex pro 2.0 after installing LR4. It did work previously with LR4 beta on my Windows 7 64bit computer. Tried uninstalling and re-installing both programs to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct, having a copy of Photoshop CS5 installed (the free trial on Adobe.com will work) is a workaround - not a great one - but yes, it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope wont work. Code modules obviously changed from Lr4 Beta and Lr4 and one module appears to contain an error. (mistakes do happen on occasion)

Fortunatly on windows machines like yours it is not too bad. For the present time you need to do one of the following 3 things:

1 - Wait for Adobe official patch
or
2 - Download and install CS5 trial or elements trial
or
3 - Use the notepad registry patch mentioned above

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we now have enough evidence that this is a bug ;)

The joys of being an early adopter I guess.

Sad that there is no official response nor fix from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I had a premonition when I decided to keep LR3 installed after I downloaded the "improved?" LR4 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on MAC with Lion and have the same problem not being able to edit in Elements 10 from Lightroom 4. Not an option to revert to the beta version as I loose my catalogue information. Hope Adobe get this major bug fixed quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on MAC with Lion and have the same problem not being able to edit in Element from Lightroom 4. Not an option to revert to the beta version as I loose my catalogue information. Hope Adobe get this major bug fixed quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting for bug fix before I upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the trial version of CS5 on my MAC 10.7.3 and indeed the NIK plugins work in LR4.
Then I saved the plist file that was created to the desktop (copy) so I had an additional copy.

Then I removed the CS5 trial version throug the un-installer.
After the un-istall (with the un-installer app) the plist file was still in the library so I thought this is good.

Then I started LR4 but the plugins did not work anymore. So this means there is more required then just this plist file I guess, unless I did something wrong.

regard
Andre
PS. This is the text inside the plist file.
File is called - com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

This is the text that is inside the file
bplist00”_uiLanguageKey CS5.1_"NSDisabledCharacterPaletteMenuItem_oldPaletteFontTypeKey CS5.1Uen_GB %Jhnoq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the trial version of CS5 on my MAC 10.7.3 and indeed the NIK plugins work in LR4.
Then I saved the plist file that was created to the desktop (copy) so I had an additional copy.

Then I removed the CS5 trial version throug the un-installer.
After the un-istall (with the un-installer app) the plist file was still in the library so I thought this is good.

Then I started LR4 but the plugins did not work anymore. So this means there is more required then just this plist file I guess, unless I did something wrong.

It means that the patch on a MAC does not work.

regard
Andre
PS. This is the text inside the plist file.
File is called - com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

This is the text that is inside the file:

bplist00” _ uiLanguageKey CS5.1_ "NSDisabledCharacterPaletteMenuItem_ oldPaletteFontTypeKey CS5.1Uen_GB %Jhno q

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4 ist als Testversion installiert. Wenn ich versuche aus Lightroom 4 einen der Nik Filter oder Photoshop elements 9 zu öffnen, bekomme ich folgende Fehlermeldung:
Unexpected error performing command:bad argumet # 1 to 'lower'(string expected.got.nil).
In Lightroom 3 funktioniert alles reibungslos. Als Betriebssystem ist Windows vista installiert.
Liegt es an der Testversion oder ist das ein anderer Fehler?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Silvia, handelt es sich bei der Testversion um die Lightroom 4 Beta? Die Problem mit den externen Plugins ist erst mit der Vollversion von Lightroom 4 ein Issue geworden.
Kann das leider nicht nachvollziehen da bei mir alles auf dem Mac läuft

cheers
/Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Karl,
Es handelt sich nicht um die Beta Version, sondern um die Vollversion mit Testzeitraum. Habe auch schon probiert einen Nik Filter zu deinstallieren und neu zu installieren, hat aber leider auch nicht funktioniert.

Gruß und danke für die Nachfrage.
Silvia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unter Windows hast Du die chance die registry zu patchen;
sie hier : http://forums.adobe.com/message/42579...

nach HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE suchen,
ich hoffe Du kommst damit klar ...
cheers
/Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Das Problem ist mit der neuen Version von LR4. Meine plug-ins funktionierten Problemlos mit LR3 und LR4 Beta. Ich hoffe dass Adobe so schnell wie moeglich das Problem beseitigt.

Votes

Translate

Translate