• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit In External Editor does not work/function

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not send images from LR4 to any external editor via Photo>Edit In. My system is Mac OS 10.7.3. Using the Edit In command fails to open the external editor and no error message results. This occurs whether the images have the 2012 Process Version applied or not. My external editors are primarily PSE10 and Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.0. This is an important part of my workflow.

I have reinstalled PSE10 and updated to the newest version of Silver Efex Pro.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012
Note: If you're setting Photoshop Elements up as an External Editor, make sure you choose the "Photoshop Elements Editor" not the alias for Photoshop Elements (which launches the welcome screen):

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012
Lightroom 4.1 is now available on Adobe Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Includes a fix for this issue, plus several other top issues and includes 5D Mk III support:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 432 Replies 432
432 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works like a charm. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now everything is working fine - Nik and CS5.1 (Win7) - after applying this adobe correction: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401629...
Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this problem not only with Nik software, but also with Athentech's Perfectly Clear plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I also installed LR4 and my NIK filters in a clean install on my backup laptop which is a Win 64 Dual Core machine with 500gb hard drive and none of the filters worked from LR4 until I installed (not started) a copy of PSE 10.

With any external editor including NoiseNinja, Fusion Express from Topaz.

Definately a bug ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's correction is useless to those of us who don't use photoshop................

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom Hogarty (LR Product Manager) made the following post yesterday with an update of sorts on the status of this problem (and others):

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really disappointing. The same bug in Lightroom 3 and they didn't make sure it wasn't present in Lightroom 4.
Even worse they know how to fix it, but haven't yet released a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the "Hot Issues" blog JulieM points do doesn't suggest Adobe is rushing to fix this. Compare the first issue--"Point Tone Curve Migration"--which is listed as a "high severity bug." As for "'Edit In' Workflow for External Editors/Plug Ins," it is a "bug" whose solution "will be included in our next update." If I'm reading this right, this is a pretty disappointing level of concern at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@thomas Jackson

Yes, exactly. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem on OSX Lion.

I am unable to load any Topaz plugins via Topaz Fusion Express 2, although they still work fine on Lightroom 3.

I bought Lightroom 4 on release day and I would appreciate an urgent fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also adding my voice to the list. I have all the external editing functionality I need in CS4 so I hope Adobe doesn't force users like me to upgrade to CS5, 5.5 or 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's response is so far very disappointing and inaccurate. Uhhh, hello? Elements is a 3rd party application? My guess is a 3rd party would have fixed this problem by now even if fewer customers were affected. Guess what Adobe, I am not going to buy CS5 just to have a workaround to this problem. I'll go back to LR3 and talk smack about you at every opportunity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't move the Adobe Applications (on a MAC)

After cleaning up the mess Adobe Download assistant made (lot of applications all over from Adobe that I never will use).
I put them in a folder in the Application folder.

Now Lightroom cannot even find the plugins any more and in Aperture they are as always available.

In the 'Edit In' there are all kind of Photoshop add-ons like:

"Open as smart object in Photoshop"
"Merge to panorama in Photoshop"
"Merge to HDR PRO in Photoshop"

Uninstalling and Installing everything (plugins and Photoshop and Lightroom) doesn't make the situation better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also adding my voice to the list. Nik Software here.
It's a pure shame that Adobe isn't able to fix that problem sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixing the issue starts a larger worklow in their development envrionment, a new branch of code, discussion what to put in and what not, Develompent, and then testing and testing;

I am also eager to get the fix, but this needs time till a release can be delivered to the public;

cheers
/Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed LR 4 today tried to edit picture in portrait professional. Received following message. "Unexpected error performing command: bad argument #1 to lower( string expected, got nil.

Any solutions?

Dewayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo zusammen,

habe das Upgrade von LR3 auf LR4 durchgeführt, seitdem funktionieren die NIK Software PlugIns nicht mehr. Auch nach Installation der neuesten NIK Updates, die in der Installations Routine (LR 4) zwar erkannt haben, liesen sich die PlugIns nach wie vor nicht öffnen.

Darauf hin habe ich sämtliche NIK PluIns von meinem Rechner mit sämtlichen Einstellungen deinstalliert und im Anschluss erneut installiert. Auch diese Vorgehensweise brachte keinen Erfolg.

Als letzte Möglichkeit deinstallierte und installierte LR 4 erneut. OHNE ERFOLG!

Kann mir jemand einen Ratschlag geben? Was mache ich falsch!

Langsam bekomme ich das Gefühl, dass Adobe Ihre LR4 Version zwar von Beta auf final gesetzt hat, die Version aber immer noch sehr fehlerbehaftet ist zumal ich gestern sämtliche -in LR4- PreSets nicht mehr abspeichern konnte.

LR4 hat mir bereits 9 Stunden Zeit und Nerven geraubt :-(
Gestern 4 Stunden für nichts
Heute 5 Stunden für nichts

Als Fotograf habe ich eigentlich besseres zu tun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rene

Keine Sorge, nichts falsch gemacht, aber wohl doch Zeit nutzlos verschwendet, denn es ist ein Bug.
Ich nehme an, du bist (wie ich) Mac-User, denn die Windows-Leute bekommen eine Fehlermeldung.
Einziger Workaround (für manche): Testversion von CS5 installieren.
Ich habe zum Glück noch LR3 zum editieren in Silver Efex...
Ist schon ein Knaller, was sich Adobe da erlaubt...
Habe beschlossen, statt meinen Mac mit nutzlosen Programmen voll zu pflastern, auf den Bugfix zu warten (spart Zeit und Neven).

Cheerio, Claus

P.S. Sorry folks for posting in German, but I had to illuminate my fellow-countryman about what goes on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aber Leute warum so enttaeuscht? Es war doch nur $79 fuer LR4 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issues here, edit in *nik software program from LR4 doesn't work at all even with latest niksoftware update.

adobe please fix this asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed this is very bad news and disappointing ;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't really agree with you. In Beta it worked fine.
As fast as they broke it for the released version, so fast they should be able to fix it.
Looks like they didn't even test the released version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Claus,

danke für die schnelle Antwort. Dann werde ich mich wohl noch ein wenig gedulden müssen, bis sich Adobe bewegt.

LG

René

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You advertise compatiblity with Nik Software, yet many Nik plug-ins do not work with Lightroom 4. You say it is their problem not yours. Fine, so stop advertising compatibility because they can't fix it. False and unethical claims about Lightroom. Long-time customer no longer trusts Adobe, I will be warning a large group of on-line contacts and move to APPLE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed LR4 on my Mac, 10.7.3 and now none of my Nik Software works when going to the "edit in" function. Adobe, I do not want Photoshop CS5 and therefore, installing it as a work around is not reasonable or fair. Please fix the problem or do the right thing and return customers upgrade purchase price.
I also find that LR4 is sluggish compared to my LR3 (which stills functions well with my third party software).
This product was not ready for public release based on all the negative information currently on these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate