• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (GPU) Develop/Edit view & Export artifacts after 14.4.1 Update (AMD-only) (affects Cr, LrC & LrD)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since just now, I've been experiencing a weird bug / crash in Lightroom Classic (on a Mac), where ALL my photos suddenly are fully covered in artefacts in the Develop module.

lightroom develop module.jpg

(Screengrab from the Develop module in Lightroom Classic)

When I check the linked RAW + JPEG source files in Finder, they all seem ok (they don't look corrupted, nor show any artefacts here), meaning the issue is within Lightroom.

raw source file.jpg

(Screengrab from the RAW source file in Finder)

When I export images out of Lightroom (with any setting, edited or even not edited), the artefacts are also present on the export files.

export.jpg

(Screengrab from the exported JPG image)

This problem started occuring soon after I applied the new AI noise reduction feature on just ONE (1) photo. 

I already tried:

• Closing and re-opening Lightroom
  • Shutting down (fully), and restarting the computer after 1 minute
  • Switching the GPU accelrator setting in Lightroom on/off

MY SPECS

• Lightroom Classic 13.0.1 - Build (202310121438-d2af310c)
  • Macbook Pro 16" - 2019
  • 2,3Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB 
  • 32GB 2667MHz DDR4 memory
  • OS Sonoma 14.4.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this makes the whole software unusable....

Thank you!

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

We're investigating an issue with the macOS 14.4.1 update that affects systems running AMD series GPUs. 

The issue manifests as garbling of/artifacts in images in Develop/Edit views and similar artifacts in Exported images.  The problem can afflict Camera Raw (16.2.1), Lightroom Classic (13.2) and Lightroom Desktop (7.2).  Restarting the application should restore your Develop/Edit view and return you to the expected Export results. 

The team is working with the OS manufacturer to identify t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 165 Replies 165
165 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"AMD Radeon Pro 5500M"

That's one of the culprints. Another user reported that setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Custom / Use GPU For Display worked around the issue. That's likely to be somewhat faster than setting it to Off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help. So far it's been working normally - but this may help if things go bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're investigating an issue with the macOS 14.4.1 update that affects systems running AMD series GPUs. 

The issue manifests as garbling of/artifacts in images in Develop/Edit views and similar artifacts in Exported images.  The problem can afflict Camera Raw (16.2.1), Lightroom Classic (13.2) and Lightroom Desktop (7.2).  Restarting the application should restore your Develop/Edit view and return you to the expected Export results. 

The team is working with the OS manufacturer to identify the cause and effect a fix. 

If you are not using a system mentioned in this post, please start a new post with complete system information, problem description, and screen captures.

Thank you for your patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this appeared only after updating to macOS 14.4.1, then it is likely related to this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-gpu-develop-edit-view-and-export-arti...

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue with ACR 16.2.1.1767 on macOS 14.4.1 and an AMD Radeon 5300M GPU. I've also had just white previews and resulting Enhanced DNGs. Its intermittent at this point.

Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should help:

• Go to "preferences" -> "Performance", and under "Camera RAW Cache settings": "Purge cache"
  • Also, under "Performance": set "Use Graphics Processor" to "Custom" instead of "Auto", and then: only "Use GPU for display", and not "Use GPU for image processing".
  • Upgrade to LR 13.2 
  • Restart Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sir it appears to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should help:

• Go to "preferences" -> "Performance", and under "Camera RAW Cache settings": "Purge cache"
  • Also, under "Performance": set "Use Graphics Processor" to "Custom" instead of "Auto", and then: only "Use GPU for display", and not "Use GPU for image processing".
  • Upgrade to the latest version, if not already
  • Restart Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue on multple Intel-chip Macs,using ACR rather than Lightroom.  Clearing the cache and other suggestions has been fruitless as a permanent solution.  Turning off the GPU processing resolves the issue for the ACR modifications, but once I'm in Photoshop proper I have to enable GPU processing again in order to make additional edits to images using options such as the Liquify tool.  The constant process of turning the GPU on and off and on and off is a productivity killer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following your advice, it has solved the issue. Thank you so much!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR has separate settings from Photoshop vis GPU use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  As I've noted, the solutions posted to this thread apply only to Lightroom so I'm still out of luck, so the suggestion that a bad (or non-updated) video driver is the culprit seems to be correct.  Another difference is that when I'm encountering the corruption in ACR, only the large preview is corrupted.  I can make additional edits in ACR (although purely via guesswork) before opening the images and the images are opening intact in Photoshop.  Folks using Lightroom are reporting the corruption in their processed files and not just the preview images.

One thing I've tried since my first post last week about this issue has been to completely clear out all my caches via Adobe Bridge.  While it didn't resolve the corrupted previews issue for me*, flushing all my caches appears to have solved a different problem I was having with the AI Denoise tool in ACR (on our Intel chip Macs) that was causing every image to take 20 minutes to process and often failing at the last minute due to some unknown error.  After the cache flush, the same images are taking less than a minute each and (so far) they completing the Denoise process every time again.   

*the first few images allowed me to make edits as expected without a corrupted preview, but then the corrupted preview issue re-appeared by the fourth image and every subsequent image until I restarted the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Jay@Leidos, "As I've noted, the solutions posted to this thread apply only to Lightroom"

Have you tried setting CR's Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Custom and unchecking Use GPU For Image Processing?

johnrellis_0-1714429618649.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted in my earlier posts, I've tried every combination of settings for the graphics card within the Photoshop Performance settings.  Nothing I've tried resolves the problem in a way that allows me to use all the Photoshop features and tools as needed on my team's Intel-based Macs (and my personal Intel-based Mac) and I've had to constantly toggle between turning the GPU off and on and off again for routine edits to a single image.  

Not having this issue on the one M3-chip Mac I have at the office, but we can't upgrade all our older machines at this time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 7.2 cloud-based on my Mac recently began showing a corrupted photo screen for each "full-screen" photo within the Lightroom app, but photos only showed as corrupted after about 200 normal photos. Corrupted Lightroom screen is isolated to the program, rest of the Mac screen operated as normal. This began a couples months ago and my MacBook is updated, Lightroom is updated, so I thought maybe the troulbe was that I had been over-doing the upload photo amount, creating a slow upload/refresh. Emptied cache, refreshed all, restarted machine, still the same results. Anyone have the same issue and what was your resolution? Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 11.07.28 AM.png

MacBook Pro, 2019 2.3 GHz 8-core intel i9, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

I merged it thinking that it was same issue. You may wnat to unmerge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Jay@Leidos, "As noted in my earlier posts, I've tried every combination of settings for the graphics card within the Photoshop Performance settings.  Nothing I've tried resolves the problem in a way that allows me to use all the Photoshop features and tools as needed on my team's Intel-based Macs (and my personal Intel-based Mac) and I've had to constantly toggle between turning the GPU off and on and off again for routine edits to a single image."

Camera Raw has its own GPU settings distinct from those of Photoshop. 

On my Macbook Pro (M2 Max), when I disable Camera Raw's use of the GPU:

johnrellis_1-1714507542429.png

and leave Photoshop's use of the GPU enabled:

johnrellis_0-1714507514797.png

then Photoshop's tools like Liquify continue to work.

When you configure Camera Raw and Photoshop similarly, what precisely doesn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis On my M3 Mac, everything works beautifully without any custom GPU settings.  On our Intel Macs at the office and my personal Intel Mac, I've modifed the ACR GPU settings, Photoshop GPU settings, and even tweaked the Bridge "Advanced" tab settings and various Cache settings trying to find a magic combination that works since the corrupted preview image started happening about a month ago for me on the Intel machines.  I'm working event as I respond to this, so I can't check what my current ACR GPU settings are on any of my Intel Macs, but I'm pretty sure at one point I've tried the combination you suggested (thanks for taking the time to do that, BTW).

The problems I've encountered after turning off the GPU processing and with different custom settings have included ACR freezing up when making modifications to an image, or the interface lurching around unpredictably.  And within Photoshop, various tools in Photoshop (like the Liquify tool, Transform tool, and SmartObjects just not working after the interface appears for those tools), opened images filling with white blocks as a zoom in and out, clarge hunks of my images being filled with random blocks of noise when using the Legacy Save for Web tool, etc.  

Again, my team and I weren't having any of these issues on our Intel Macs until recently.  Can't recall if it started after a macOS update or a Photoshop update.  I'm installing updates constantly on a lot of machines, so it all blurs together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using Lightroom Classic for a few weeks, I began having an issue today. Although the images in the Library module were fine, when I opened them in the Develop module I saw a mass of colored streaks throughout the photos. This made it impossible to work with them. I closed LRC, left it alone for an hour, reopened it, and I could work on images again. I closed LRC, left it alone for an hour or so, and the problem returned. 

This is affecting both the images I took the other day and some older ones that I had previously imported.

See the attached images for a sample of what I see. 

I have LRC release 13.2 with camera RAW 16.2, and I'm running it on a 2019 MacBook Pro with an Intel Core i7 processor and AMD Radeon Pro 5300 M graphics chip in addition to the integrated Intel graphics. 

Can anyone enlighten me on how to fix this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is striking many people with Macs having AMD Radeon 5300M and 5500M GPUs. It appears to be a buggy graphics driver released by Apple in Mac OS 14.4.1.  Adobe is working with Apple and AMD to resolve the problem.

Two workarounds that some have reported helping:

1. Restart LR when the problem occurs.

2. Set Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Custom / Use GPU For Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update:

So far, the issue has not occurred again. Fingers crossed! I hope the next macOS update will solve the problem for good. 

Thanks for all the help!

Ulrike

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my machine it is intermittent.

Votes

Translate