• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Import is creating OS - level duplicate files named (-2) when using Devices rather than Files

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I upgraded to lightroom classic from lightroom 5.7.1, imports are now importing duplicate images, even though I have checked don't import suspected duplicates. It happens on both my nikon and canon camera images.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Greetings, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Tuesday night, August 16th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

We have a fix for this in a future update - unfortunately, it was too late to make it into this week's release. 

Note: this is not specific to Fuji. I can reproduce with Canon as well. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Opened new bug for investigation. Issue is still not reproducible save very sporadically. In months of attempting to reproduce, it has only happened to me once and was not repeatable. 

Previous bug was only partially related to this failure. 

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 176 Replies 176
176 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Rikk FLor said "sporatically" he was saying he could only reproduce it sporadically in his testing. It is apparently happening regularly on some people's set ups. If you have tried deleting LRC, deleting the cache and associated system files, and then reinstalling. Try running a test import. If it still continues, then you need to find a comfortable workaround for now. I have always first copied from the card to a folder on the desktop. THen I "copy or copy as DNG" to my lightroom Catalog and the permanent destination image folder/drive. And so far, no duplicates.... just a suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That workaround might be easy for you, but I shoot with 3-4 cameras and take thousands of shots per shoot, and sometimes two of the cameras end up with overlapping filenames. Then I have to rename some of the files before I copy them to the same folder for import, so some don't get overwritten. The process gets very messy, it's easy to make errors, and it takes twice as long as it should (extra hours, not extra minutes). I have accidentally lost important images in the process, which never happened before this highly-disruptive bug crept in.

The problem is happening on a clean installation on a brand new computer, just as it did on my old computer. Somewhere in that time, things have gotten even worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I transfer images into Lightroom Classic, I get multiple copies (same file type i.e. RAF).  Anyone else experiencing this bug as well?  Any fixes?  Comments and suggestions are highly welcomed.  Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you doing this "transfer"? Please be specific and detailed.

Also, what is your Lightroom Classic version NUMBER?

What is your operating system version NUMBER?

What camera are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed there are questions about the details:

- I use a 100 MP medium format Fuji camera and am shooting RAW (RAF) that have about 200 Mb file size

- I transfer from SD card directly (not via camera)

- Always updating to latest LrC (currently at 11.3.1)

NOTE: Eventhough the camera settings are exactly the same I do not see this issue with my Nikon full frame camera.  I am assuming this has something to do with having large file size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This keeps popping up for only some people. @ SerdarY - your files are huge however others have reported the same problem.  Would you mind trying to first copy the photo files from the card to a folder, and then import them into LR, using Copy, Copy as DNG, or Move or ADD at that import state?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still get this every time I try to import RAF files from my Fuji (my LRC is fully up to date) - if Adobe needs me to capture logs/test a debugging software I am happy to help.

I seem to be able to avoid the issue if I import from the card as a filesystem location, rather than a device. It is still annoying though, as have got years of muscle memory importing for a device...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting to see that we have the common problem with RAF files from Fuji.  Like all, I too update my camera, lenses and software to the latest SW/FW.  I wonder if Adobe's import process for RAF is buggy.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a fix for this in a future update - unfortunately, it was too late to make it into this week's release. 

Note: this is not specific to Fuji. I can reproduce with Canon as well. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the diligent and prompt response Rikk.  I look forward to the next update.  In the mean while, do you have any suggestions how I should import my images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some are reporting using the Files instead of Devices works for them. 
Others are reporting that toggling the Don't Import Suspected Duplicates works for them. 

In either case you should be able to see the count in the bottom of the Import Dialog grid and adjust as necessary. 

Another workaround would be to copy the SD card to a folder on your local drive and import from there. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice Rikk.  I have tried "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" option with no success.  I will try the other methods you mention.   Cheers - 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also reproduce with Canon and DJI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seem to be a fairly widely experienced bug in the community.  I hope the fix with the next release is coming soon enough and is effective.  I think it would also be nice to have a feature within LrC that finds duplicates and handles them per user selection.  Currently I am using a Plug-in to manually work through it - not the best work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing my files it adds a -2 to the file name and makes duplicates. When is this fix coming? I see many have reported same issue. And yes I'm on the most recent version of LRC and windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week, it was said that a fix had been identified and would be included in the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next update coming. Until then, I sugget you use the workarounds. Not ideal news however all these reports will have made for a better product going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took over 400 photos today and because of months of contuing problems with either importing duplicates or treating all photos on the card as duplicates, I had to accept the duplicates  and then batch delete them. This is rather time consuming. When I select "don't import suspected diplicates," every photo on the SD card is then grayed out in LR and won't import.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have had number of problems with this bug.  "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" did not work for me at all.  There is a plug-in from Teekesselchen that did a good job of identifying the duplicates and marking them as "Reject" which then you can delete.  Again, not an ideal work flow but until the bug fix comes along, I don't see too many good options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the latest updates fix the duplicate -2 on importing issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're here to help.

Are you referring to any particular Bug/ Issue? What are your system specification and Lightroom version? Can you please elaborate a little about the issue that you see? What all troubleshooting have you tried so far? How are you importing the files? What happens when your try to import?

We're here to help, just need some more info. 

Thanks.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The IMPORT problem is that LrC 11.4 is copying every image twice, but I have no idea as to why. 

The Computer is a new Mac Studio M1 Ultra, the source card is a SONY TOUGH SDXC-II card inserted directly into the front card reader slot of the Mac Studio. the images are Canon C-RAW CR3 files. 

I have not encountered this phenomenon before. The only new elements in the work flow here, are: 
1) LrC 11.4
2) Using a built-in card reader as opposed to an external one
3) The new computer itself.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. After the update today, when I put a card in all of the duplicate images are shown, but only one of is is highlighted for import, which is some progress...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried to import again and it added the -2 on all. It looks like it adds the -2 because its not making sequential numbers for files being imported from the same day.  So if I bring over 50 files from 5/30/22 and they are waterfalls (beacuse I'm keywording) then the 2nd bunch I import from the same day 5/30 but they are bears and there are 25 it starts the sequence at 220530-0001 then adds the -2 because of course I already imported 50 files for 5/30/22.   It should be starting at 51 not 01 again.  It USED TO recognize that there were 50 files already for that day so the next import for that day would have started at 51 to 75. Then if I imported more for that day then it should start at 76.  

Votes

Translate

Translate