Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: Editing raw file in PS from LR loses profile

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[See here for how to reproduce the bug and an easy workaround:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-cr3-files-i... -- John Ellis]

Editing a picture in Photoshop 2021 from within LR 10.0 makes the color profile disappear and the image loses all it's vibrancy... Any idea how to fix that? Top image is what I see in LR. Bottom is how it shows up in Photoshop... 

ScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.png
ScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.png
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

This existing bug is almost a year old, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to get fixed:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-raw-file-in-ps-from-lr-loses-profile/5f9043b035f40c2520b9e964 

A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

[Here's a concise synthesis of previous posts and my own testing]

When you edit a raw photo in Photoshop that has a creative profile containing a LUT, Photoshop loses the profile.  A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

To reproduce:

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running.

2. In LR, uncheck the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Auto

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney I turned off the GPU in both LR and PS - no change.  I didn't expect that to help since the behavior changed with the latest giant release of LR/PS and then changed again this week with the ACR update and I've had the same GPU the whole time.  🙂

Also, no GPU issue would explain why the custom profiles do not appear in the grid/list in PS ACR, but they do in LR and also in PS ACR when opened as Smart Object.  Something is definitely wrong in the ACR component...

I am not building these profiles - I bought them.  I have had the same issue with profiles from two different sources.  They are working absolutely fine in LR and also in PS when opened as Smart Object, so I can't believe that they are corrupted in any way.  Again, behavior changed with the big update and again (in a different way) in the most recent ACR update, so I don't believe the problem lies in the profiles themselves.

Anything else you want me to check?  I already sent in example files to @arjun_haarith - have you all been able to reproduce this behavior?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not building these profiles - I bought them.

I'm referring to rebuilding your DISPLAY profiles. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never even heard of display profiles before.  What are they and how do I go about doing that?  Thanks!  (sorry for dumb question - if it is a dumb question...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what you are referring to?

ColorManagement-cf785c4b-1fb7-472a-baa4-cc5bb97c1ccb-1791082055.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using Windows?

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Are you using software and a calibration device to make the BenQ profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  I have never dipped my toes into monitor calibration.  Right now I am trying switching between different color profiles to see if using a different one changes the behavior of this issue.  Hang on a few minutes, I'll report back what I find.  Windows, yes.  Thanks for the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney  I tried switching between the sRGB and BenQ ICC profiles (rebooting between - not sure that was strictly required), but it didn't make any difference.  I do appreciate that link though, in general.  Something else I need to learn about!

I'm not that surprised that the system setting wouldn't solve the issue of the ACR in Photoshop not showing the embedded camera profile though?  But better to rule things out!

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what type of hardware are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dprosk have you tried selecting 'Automatically write changes into XMP' in 'Catalog Settings' in Lightroom? The color profile works when for me exporting to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney   Specs attached

SysInfo-cae2c56e-5086-4270-baae-efb23ec21ed5-1711150158.JPG
GraphicsInco-d7a92759-1fe7-4c92-a6a4-f8dbeeb29b65-806849425.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@foodieadam Yes.  I tried that the other day and it didn't help.  I shut it off and removed the .xmp files just to save my poor backup system from dealing with thousands of new little files.  However, I tried again today with ctrl-S to create .xmp files just for the image I wanted to open in PS before I opened from LR.  Didn't help.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Mac guy but is this a Surface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  It is a gaming-class desktop PC (tower) put together by my son for me specifically for photo work.  All high quality, high performance components, not running over-clocked or anything like that though.  Haven't ever had a lick of trouble with it in 2+ years and it runs LR and PS very efficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't think this is a PC setting or monitor profile problem. Because this issue doesn't happen with Photoshop CC 2020. With the same working color space setting as 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this mismatch color only happen when you use LR preset with custome Camera Profile i think. It work normal when you switch to Adobe Camera Profile (Adobe Color, Adobe Portrait... etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it would be useful to take such a raw and suspect profile, export as DNG, upload so we could see how it behaves in LR/ACR/Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney Hi.  I'm happy to upload the image.  In fact I sent one to @arjun_haarith in email, along with the .xmp.  The profile I purchased so I'm hesitant to send that without getting permission from the person who created it.  Why don't you buy it from Color Fidelity.  it is only $15.  if you would like me to upload another image, please give me instructions exactly what you would like and I'll do that.  I really do appreciate your help!

*neodes24 Exactly - I'm pretty sure it is not a problem with my computer or settings or anything like that.  It has to be ACR component in PS.  All things point to that so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best to export as DNG then profile is wrapped inside with XMP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can also confirm that this behaviour only happens with .CR3 files.
I lose all LrC edits when "Edit in Photoshop".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@koketso Do you really lose all edits?  I thought that at one point too, but to convince myself I was only losing the color profile, I used the adjustment brush to burn a line right across the image before "Edit in Photoshop" and the burn was still there (although due to the loss of the color profile, the image otherwise looked very different).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct.

I also burnt a line and it carried over, along with a dramatic exposure change. My workflow with this album required me to only change colour and lens profiles before "Edit in Photohshop"

Also...
Manually adding Ps as an "Edit in" program doesn't carry the colour profile across either.
Other software works as expected (I tried with Luminar 4 and Nik Collection)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney I tried that and unsurprisingly that worked.  However, when I opened the dng, I got a warning message below.  Is that a clue??  In the other attached image below, left is LR, you can see the profile applied in the develop module.  Right side is PS with the .cr3 file "Open for Editing in PhotoShop 2021" and the dng file opened directly from PS.  You can clearly see the profile is not applied in PS for the .cr3 and it is for the .dng.

Mismatch-4b6ab135-cba2-43d5-bf2f-baee09420463-1136744385.JPG
3upv2-422d0f62-2582-4a93-82df-d46c25c6253e-193461027.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set color policies to PRESERVE then you will not get that dialog and the embedded profile will be honored. See:

Photoshop CC's Color Settings & the Convert to Profile and Assign Profile command.

This new video covers everything you thought you wanted to know about the Photoshop Color Setting dialog. It also discusses the Convert to Profile Command and the Assign Profile Command. Photoshop CC 2017 is used in this video and it updates the video on this subject I Published on June 28, 2012.

High Rez: http://digitaldog.net/files/PhotoshopColorSettings.mp4
Low Rez (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JaHOGDK5OI

Also, a DNG should open in ACR if indeed it's raw. It would never have Adobe RGB (1998) as an embedded profile. What and where did that DNG come from and can you upload it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No joy for me.
Here's a screenshot of my Color Settings in PS, unchanged and was already set to Preserve.
2020111318_04_04ColorSettings-390e7d64-ef58-4114-98ef-b75ae0244921-45824996.png

Votes

Translate

Translate