Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: Editing raw file in PS from LR loses profile

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[See here for how to reproduce the bug and an easy workaround:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-cr3-files-i... -- John Ellis]

Editing a picture in Photoshop 2021 from within LR 10.0 makes the color profile disappear and the image loses all it's vibrancy... Any idea how to fix that? Top image is what I see in LR. Bottom is how it shows up in Photoshop... 

ScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.png
ScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.png
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

This existing bug is almost a year old, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to get fixed:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-raw-file-in-ps-from-lr-loses-profile/5f9043b035f40c2520b9e964 

A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

[Here's a concise synthesis of previous posts and my own testing]

When you edit a raw photo in Photoshop that has a creative profile containing a LUT, Photoshop loses the profile.  A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

To reproduce:

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running.

2. In LR, uncheck the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Auto

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you have set for Color Settings in Photoshop with respect to RGB Working Space and Policies? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney 

working space is ProPhoto, and preserve for all. To be clear, this only happens with R5 files with CF profiles in LR, does not happen with Adobe Color, or any other file/profile combination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desaturated with ProPhoto RGB sounds like at least in PS, color management is off and maybe it's your display profile. 

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew, thanks for your comments, but unfortunately i'm way ahead of these first steps. Tried all of the above, disabling the GPU on both LR and PS, verifying, remaking v2 profiles (v4 doesnt really play nicely in all circumstances) etc, etc. 

It is indeed a bug in LR. You can solve/test the issue by ENABLING auto write changes to xmp files. That somehow solves the issue for the time being. The maker of the Color Fidelity Profiles got back to me that another user figured out the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best to export a DNG with all edits AND profile so other's can test. I don't have such a document on this end to see what might be going on. 

Why do you not have auto-write XMP on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason i don't have autowrite on is because i frequently select 10's or 100's of images and then repeatedly make batch corrections on a set, and i find that with autowrite on, it slows down my process. I prefer to select all and CMD+S at the completion of a project to generate and then move all of the small xmp's to my servers.

From the Color Fidelity maker Colin, It's his understanding that Adobe is aware of this issue and it will be fixed in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Were you using any custom camera profile ? 

Thanks,
Arjun

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I was.  I have the Canon R5 and Adobe does not have any camera specific color profiles available (hint, hint...).  I was using custom profiles to make up for that gap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@arjun_haarith Note that the problem went completely away once I used Johan's suggestion once.  In subsequent invocations, I was able to open the CR3 files from Lightroom normally in Photoshop and the custom profile was there.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just following up to report that the problem has remained resolved after using Johan's suggestion one time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have the same problem with Lightroom 10 and Photoshop 2021.
I tried Johan's method but it only worked when i keep photoshop open and only if i use the same custom camera profile on other photos.

When i change to other profile or close and reopen photoshop, it happen again (even with the same photo and custom camera profile).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - whenever I edit a picture in LR 10 and I use a custom color profile (NOT the adobe standard profiles) and parse the picture to PS 22.0.0 with "Edit in ...", the picture has lost the color profile completely. The first pic was graded with a custom color profile only and after "Edit in Photoshop 2012" the picture shows up as you can see in the second pic.

The only workaround that helps right now, is to downgrade camera raw to V12 - but this can't be the answer for long. Any idea or solution?

A7R04681_full-c4b3a890-c902-489e-a56b-b0c16ea9dc0c-835989870.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that by selecting 'Automatically write changes into XMP' in 'Catalog Settings' in Lightroom, the color profile works when exporting to Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! Thank you. It worked like it supposed to be.
But i wonder if that auto write to xmp then when i open the raw file in other application, will it auto apply the setting as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... after research it for awhile. Lightroom default should have saved the settings to catalogue. The option "Automatically write changes into XMP" should be used only if you want to share the RAW file to someone and the setting along with it.

For normally workflow like LR > PS, should leave it uncheck for better performance.
And this must be the Photoshop 2021 "bug" or something, because i test with PS 2020 there's no problem with custom camera profile...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk hello sir, any information that this kind of "bug" will be fix with the next update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue - and I "solved" it by downgrading to camera raw V12. So from my pov it should be an issue with the actual camera raw version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the following related issue.

When importing CR3 file (from Canon EOS R5) to LR I apply a custom profile (but also happens with Adobe) and when shifting from Develop module to Library the histogram increase about 1-stop... The exported JPEG files also do not match my editing. You can notice the exposition variation on this LQ gif below.

I don't see this issue with CR3 from EOS R camera files.resizedcanoneosr5Lrissues-1630076f-b6e9-4384-86c2-5bec9320ffa1-699426787.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a further update...the problem is BACK with the most recent Camera Raw update as of a couple of days ago.  The Johan workaround still works for a single image, but no longer "solves" the problem for subsequent images.  Something is definitely going on with the ACR component in PhotoShop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*ricardomoura What version of LR? There was an issue in older versions rendering newer CR3 files, it's been fixed. If you still see this in the latest version, does it change if you disable GPU in preferences? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Left image - Lightroom, Canon R5 photo, CRAW CR3, Third party color profile applied

Middle image - Photoshop "Edit in Photoshop 2021" from LR, note that color profile is gone, color profile not visible in ACR, importing color profile fails saying it is already loaded.

Right image - Photoshop "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop", double clicking layer to enter ACR does show the color profile as being present, along with other third party profiles that are loaded in Lightroom

What's going on with ACR?  It never used to do this...

Capture3way-77f05c99-cf4c-4b24-8a5f-fd6115cd5e68-950570453.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with a RAW (not CRAW) image and it has the same broken behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dprosk Let's take this step by step and try to come to a resolution. 

First, there are profiles in LR/ACR which control the rendering of the image. Camera profiles as an example you pick in the browser. What did you select? 

Next, when that image appears outside ACR/LR, it is rendered and described with a totally different kind of profile. 

When you Edit in Photoshop, you pick that profile in the preferences; what is it? Then, please show us the Color Settings Preferences you have setup in Photoshop. Hopefully everything is set to Preserve and all check boxes on, like this:

ColorSettings-b7fa7ad5-e530-4928-8fea-0a46487a4ce6-576470649.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney Settings below!

I showed the profile in the LR screen shot.  I used CF Landscape V4 in that case to demonstrate because it is pretty vivid and easy to see if it is applied or not.  That is a third party profile from Color Fidelity (since the R5 is not well rendered by the Adobe defaults...hint, hint.)  🙂

Any other information I can provide?  Happy to!

ColorSettings-25433182-940b-43fa-ad6b-1df7384dace1-576438873.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color settings look good meaning whatever you asked for for a color space in Edit In pref's are honored. Not sure but it would be useful to know. 

Anyway, it's probably a GPU or profile issue. First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Performance pref's of LR and Photoshop). Any better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate