• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Panels and filmstrip black when switching to Develop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2016 Sep 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is the right place for a bug report, if not could anyone direct me to the right place please.

Clicking develop module at top right from the Library module opens the photo with film strip and both side bars black empty spaces. Initial few times I had to quit and restart Lightroom but then discovered switching to grid view again and develop keyboard short cut, everything comes back.
RackMultipart20160925120518s3z-67767e8f-a774-4727-b759-11eddc593416-1834522346.jpgRackMultipart20160925120518s3z-67767e8f-a774-4727-b759-11eddc593416-1834522346.jpg

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017
Hi all,

As Simon and Jeff have already mentioned in this thread, please make sure your macOS is updated to at least macOS Sierra 10.12 and at least Lightroom Classic 7.0 or Lightroom 6.13.

The best combo to avoid this issue is being on macOS High Sierra 10.13 and Lightroom Classic 7.1 or Lightroom 6.13.

The team has worked pretty hard with Apple to get this issue to stop appearing with macOS Sierra 10.12 and macOS High Sierra 10.13. Improvements were made in 10.12 and iterated upon for 10.13.

If yo...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017
Hi Steve,

As noted before, this is a bug introduced at the macOS level. Through collaboration with Apple, they have made a fix in the later version of the macOS update. So the right thing to do is to update to the more recent version of macOS when possible.

Having said that, Lr team have done our best to workaround this issue for the cases that we can reproduce for macOS 10.11.6. But there is a limit can Lr can do.

Hope you understand the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017
This should now work correctly in Lightroom CC2015.10/6.10 or later on macOS Sierra (10.12) or later. Don't hesitate to let us know if you see the issue again on the current macOS, and if you do, what triggers it.  Please update your system and let us know if you have any additional issues. 

Additional information on this update can be found here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/04/lightroom-cc-2015-10-now-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 344 Replies 344
344 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just switched over to LR Classic and now the black panels are back. I am a professional photographer and this is also killing my workflow. It came on gradually after a few days. I had been using the version previous to the Classic on El Capitan with the same problem that finally went away after an update. Now, it's back and  much worse!!!! NOT HAPPY ADOBE! Thinking of moving over to DXO or Capture One Pro, both of which I have purchased but just haven't gotten used to them...yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so true!  Been through this myself and never again - Terrible support service. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this on Lightroom Classic - have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still, when I enter develop mode, the image blacks out as soon as you try to do anything with it. Everything else appears to carry on as though the image was there - very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to High Sierra (10.13.1). I'll post back once I see if I'm still getting the problem. The good news is the upgrade (from El Capitan) seems to have gone smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as the title states. At some point, this happens every time I use the program. Started after the Class CC name change/update.

If I use D shortcut rather than clicking the Develop Button sometimes it does not happen.
Sometimes the panels are black in the Library Module as well.

Restarting the program corrects it but it always recurs.

Mac El Capitan 10.11.6
Lr Classic CC 7.0.1
Steve Gandy
Photographer - Instructor
stevegandy.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting so tired of this all the past years comments here have been happening to me for the past year also! Adobe is really dropping the ball!  I pay monthly for something that does not work! This happens several times a minute trying to get menus back and perform the same thing I did a minute earlier just to have them disappear again and again. FIX IT ADOBE!!!! Capture one wants my business and are looking great right now!!!! ElCapitan 10.11.6, Lightroom Classic CC 7.1, Camera Raw 10.1. ....And don't you dare tell me it's Apple's fault or do this work around or that work around, or anything else,,,FIX IT!!!!!!........... do you even get why people won't ever adopt Adobe's DNG format???? I do!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am equally frustrated. The problem diminished for a while but is now constantly interrupting me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

As Simon and Jeff have already mentioned in this thread, please make sure your macOS is updated to at least macOS Sierra 10.12 and at least Lightroom Classic 7.0 or Lightroom 6.13.

The best combo to avoid this issue is being on macOS High Sierra 10.13 and Lightroom Classic 7.1 or Lightroom 6.13.

The team has worked pretty hard with Apple to get this issue to stop appearing with macOS Sierra 10.12 and macOS High Sierra 10.13. Improvements were made in 10.12 and iterated upon for 10.13.

If you are on macOS High Sierra 10.13 and Lightroom Classic 7.1 or Lightroom 6.13 and you still see this issue, please let us know here with a copy of the System Info from your Lightroom product (Help > System Info > Copy).

Thanks,
Melissa
Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hardware prevents me from upgrading to 10.12 or 10.13. I'm constrained to 10.11.6 and I don't intend to get a new Mac just for this. Is there any help for 10.11.6 users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not. It would require fixes in the macOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon, sorry that is a very bad excuse. Photoshop doesn't have this problem, neither does Bridge, or On1, or Capture1, or any other app, yours or your competitors. This is clearly something specific to Lightroom that can be solved by a change in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well at least we now have a definitive answer from Simon Chen. And the answer is NO. No more waiting and hoping. There will be no fix for those of us using computers that cannot be upgraded beyond El Capitan. We are out of luck.  I had to resolve the problem a while ago so I could get work done. So I rolled back to the version just before the problems began and everything works fine. You can find instructions here https://www.lightroomqueen.com/roll-back-update-previous/

This is not a desireable way to deal with it. It's frustrating to have been waiting for a solution so long,  but until I decide what's next at least I am done with this problem and can get work done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a cop out! I haven't upgraded so you can say this! El Capitan is not that old of an OS to not be supported!!! Do your job and fix something that has been happening for over a year and half! Don't act like it is something new that all of sudden it will be fixed because of some other companies system. This has gone on WAY TOO LONG!!!!! Fix it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your taking my money to use something that doesn't work!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an idea!!!!......... stop charging us for this until you get it fixed! That will wake your team up real quick!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly Andy! In another post I suggested they not charge us the monthly subscription for something that doesn't work until they get it fixed! That should piss of executives and bring them down onto the LR team to get their sh_t together or they are gone! Maybe a social media blast all over every platform to let everyone know LR has now gone into the gutter of bad software! Used to love working in it....still do....UNTIL this past year!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.2, and the latest version of LR Classing (7.1). Now LR crashes multiple times each hour. WAY WORSE THEN EVER BEFORE. ALMOST UNUSABLE. ADOBE, what is your problem with delivering quality software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having similar issues with LR crashing, for me it happened most often when importing new photos.  While frustrated and troublehsooting, I found that it happened if I had PS open.  It's ridiculous that I have to close photoshop (and consequently any projects I was working on) in order to have LR import without crashing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Simon!!!! THIS SUCKS!!!!! I have been dealing with this for over a year or more now...LONG before Sierra and High Sierra ....so that means you have had knowledge of something that only Adobe has a problem with and you create something that does NOT work on a MAC!!!! Lame excuses.....as I continue to have to put out money on a subscription service that is now not caring wether or not it puts out a working product! Let's announce a new feature before we fix the problem with the present product!!!!! Stupid!!! This is not a "every so often" problem.....almost every click of the mouse wether it be to move the window on my screen to changing tools!!!! HUGE problem!!!!! FIX IT!!!!!! ....and no I don't really expect you or adobe to answer...me personally.....but know this...as a professional photographer CAPTURE ONE is looking very good right now!!!!!! For all those that care to contact me regarding this ... randy@randyharmonphoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forking this comment about a crashing issue to get more focused eyes on it. Please reference the new conversation here: Lightroom Classic 7.1 & macOS High Sierra 10.13.12 Crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Melissa ....what thread do you guys have where we can just tell you to fix it!!!!!!  You guys really know how to hide behind these chats ...and only reply when you feel like it! Give us your phone number and have the guts to answer in person!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

I've forked this user's comment because his issue is about a crash with Lr Classic 7.1 and High Sierra which is unrelated to the issue you're pretty passionate about: panels going black for users on El Capitan.

Forking it will help him get dedicated support for his issue rather than it being lost in this comment thread.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks,
Melissa 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa and fellow sufferers. I had high hopes that the latest update to Lightroom would address this problem of panels/filmstrip going black in MacOS El Capitan, but no. If anything, the problem is worse. Clicking tools, such as crop, in the Develop mode causes it also. My hardware does not allow me to use High Sierra. I'm constrained to El Capitan. Why can't this problem be resolved for El Capitan users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the week after I posted this, I've had better luck. Why it was so bad initially seems puzzling. The main trick to avoid the problem seems to be to never minimize. I reduce the size of the window if I'm not working in Lightroom, rather than hide it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the 7.3 version of Lightroom fixes the problem. Cautiously optimistic. I keep testing it, but so far, no side panel black-outs. Fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate