• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Placing photos on Map module erratic and slow since update LR Classic CC 7.5 (Windows)

Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I geotag photos on a daily basis, and today, after updating LR Classic CC to version 7.5, I was going to resume my geotagging tasks as usual, but then I started to experience weird issues when placing photos on the map.

Most of the time, the problem is that I drag the photo from the filmstrip to the map (in the Map module, of course), and nothing happens (no photo on the map, no gps coordinates in the metadata). If I drag and hold the photo over the map for a few seconds before releasing the mouse button, sometimes it does place the photo.

I would say it's even more difficult when I select several photos and try to place them on the same spot at once, but I can't say absolutely for sure.

Also, selecting the photo (or photos) and then Ctrl+clicking (Windows) on the map to place them stopped working altogether as soon as I updated to 7.5, no matter how long I kept the keys or mouse button pressed down, or how many times I tried (previously, I was using this shortcut dozens of times a day).

Since I do need to keep geotagging photos, and with v7.5 it was much more difficult, I've downgraded to 7.4 and now things are working ok again. Of course I can't absolutely say for sure that this is an universal issue but... this is what's happening on my system. Any idea what could be going on? Thanks.

My first 10 lines in Help>Sytem info:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.17134
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4,0 GHz
Built-in memory: 16314,6 MB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018
Greetings, 

The Lightroom Classic CC was updated today and contains a fix for this issue. Please download the new version and give it a try and let us know how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018
Thanks for your patience!

We have upgraded the limits for the API again - request you to please give it a try and report any issues.

Joop, I understand your concern - but recent changes in our Map APIs mean that we have to make an API call over the internet to deduce the coordinates, as well as the geocode information. So, even if you have address lookup switched off, Lightroom does make an API call to deduce only the coordinates. Hope it clears your concerns!

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018
We are actively looking into this issue - it seems to intermittently occur in our test scenarios as well, albeit without a pattern. We are collecting a few logs and investigating the possible root cause. Hang on.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for being persistent!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 116 Replies 116
116 Comments

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select multiple photos from the flimstrip.  Left Click the selection. You must wait for the appearance of a cluster icon to appear before you drag the cursor to the map. When you drop the photo to the map the position is offset south-east.  Move the cursor to the position you want to tag and right click to populate the GPS coords to the selected photos.

How long you need to wait for the appearance of the cluster icon to appear depends on your system performance and how many photos you selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos, sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I am able to see the issue and investigating further to identify a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I can't see how your "Geotagging 101" relates to the issue I described.
Or were you describing an issue of your own, maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey GOapher, thanks for taking the time to reproduce this issue.

It is truly an inconvenience since, like I said, I geotag photos on a daily basis. Luckily, I don't need 7.5, so I can live with 7.4. 

I hope this gets fixed sooner than later, though.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope I don't have any problems with the methods you are having problems with. I geotag 100% of my photos as well hence suggest other methods. I just completed geotagging over a 1000 photos travel shoot. However I see your problem was replicated by Adobe. Would be interested to know under what conditions does geotagging rendered ineffective and Adobe's recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you do have that offset problem, don't you? I'm not experiencing it (or at least I am not able to detect it visually).
On the other hand, did you geotag 1000 photos with 7.5 already? Man that's fast, I think it was released yesterday. Good work.

PS. FWIW, I'm using Windows 10. Might be an OS thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated LR Classic on a different computer (this one was updated from 7.3.1 straight to 7.5), and strangely enough, the same issue happens, albeit not so often. Matter of fact, sometimes it works flawlessly for several photos in a row, then it won't work with one or two photos, then it will work again (while on my main computer it failed most of the time). Still can't find a reason or a pattern for this erratic behavior.

The first lines in system info for this other computer where it works better (but still not 100% as it did before the update):

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.17134
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2,6 GHz
Built-in memory: 16301,6 MB

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Carlos for more details.

While on the previous version, and using the Map module, were you prompted with any information regarding the Map feature and its availability? Could you also please confirm that the Address Lookup service was never paused/restarted while Lightroom was running?

While I was able to reproduce the problem and investigating it, I cleaned the preferences and restarted Lightroom. Now geo-tagging images, including drag-drop of photos, and Ctrl+Click, works as expected without any issues. I was wondering if you could also try that to see if it starts working on your main machine. Let us know when you try that.

I will keep digging for this issue again on my workdesk. Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, CS Chua - great to hear your experience! Were you trying that with the new 7.5 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did get that scary message about the map Module (or at least the ability to display photos on the map) going away on november 30th 2018 , until Rikk Flohr gave a definite answer about the subject on this thread.

Still, I am not sure whether the Address Lookup service experienced any pause during this time. I did not pause it,  at least that I am aware of.

I will give a try to cleaning the preferences  when I can, but first I would need to update to 7.5 again (which for some reason, takes a while, same as updating any CC app), then if it doesn't work, roll back again to 7.4 and set my preferences again. So, I will have to set some time aside to try that. Also, since 7.5 is pretty new and (so far) no one else seems to complain about this issue, I would also like to wait and see if other people are experiencing this problem.

When I do so, I will let you know the results. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, an update before I thought...

The Address Lookup feature stopped working on my computer with LR 7.4 a while ago (?). Out of desperation, I updated again to 7.5, to see what happened this time around.

The first time I opened LR 7.5 right after this second update, I was (again) unable to geo-tag any photo (no dragging, no ctrl+clicking, no right click and "Add GPS coord."... Nothing). But this time, instead of trying with more photos, I quickly closed LR, and then I started it again. And now it is working! (Both geotagging and the Adress Lookup).

Of course, I already tried restarting the first time I updated. The only difference is that, on my first update to 7.5, I spent a while trying to put photos on the map (to no avail) before I finally tried restarting LR. It's as if insisting on this on the first run made the issue stick. Or maybe it's just coincidence.

Whatever the real reason, I just hope it stays like this. Thanks again for your help, GOapher!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a mac, I have the same problems. in version 7.5 I cannot place my photo's on the map to geotag them.

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.11.6 [15G18013]
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2,2 GHz
Built-in memory: 16.384,0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16.384,0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 863,3 MB (5,2%)

I have reset the pref. But that didn't make a difference. Als. I use 2 screens. On one the map, on the other a grid-view, from where I drag the photos to the map. I makes no difference when I use the filmstrip at the bottom.  Adreslookup is running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Fred, just so you know, although I said it was solved, the next day this issue was happening again. But now I've realised that, by closing and restarting LR, eventually the map Module works again. Normally it takes 1 restart, 2 tops, and that's if the issue happens at all to begin with (now it only happens every now and then).

I guess it's another one of those quirks that appear with one update, and then go away with the next update. Or so I hope...

PS. I don't know if this has anything to do, but I also use 2 screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. I will give it try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see this and have been unable to identify a pattern. There was an API change in 7.4, and I suspect this is the underlying issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is reverse geocoding enabled? Catalog Settings, Metadata tab, Look up City....

I have it disabled, and suspect it may be relevant to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me on a Mac.

But I discovered that when the tagging stops to work after like 5 photos, then you wait for a few minutes, it works again for a few photos before stopping to work again and so on.

Restart Lightroom, restart computer, etc. - no matter what I do, it's always the same behavior after a while.

Lightroom Classic-Version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
Lizenz: Creative Cloud
Spracheinstellung: de-DE
Betriebssystem: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.13.6 [17G65]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, also reported it in the LR Classic forum.
Whatever method I try to place geotags in map mode, ctrl-click, right click or drag, it takes many trials before the tag is actually placed, maybe 3, 5, or even 10 or 15 times. Single photo or a selection doesn't matter. It sometimes helps to restart LR, then it works a little better for the first photos to be tagged.

I attached my (wired optical) mouse directly to the pc instead of a hub, didn't make any difference. I don't have mouse issues in any other app btw. I tried different metadata presets on the info panel on the right. Doesn't make any difference. Switched of the automatic address lookup in the preferences (reverse geotagging), didn't help either. Could this be a memory issue (8 GB)? Or does geotagging require interaction with the Adobe servers (which may be slow)?

I don't consider this issue to be solved, as it says in the header of this thread. If it is not solved in the next few days I will be forced to downgrade to version 7.4. I never had any problems with that version.

My system info is:

Lightroom Classic-versie: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
Licentie: Creative Cloud
Taalinstelling: nl
Besturingssysteem: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Versie: 10.0.17134
Toepassingsarchitectuur: x64
Systeemarchitectuur: x64
Aantal logische processors: 8
Processorsnelheid: 2,6 GHz
Ingebouwd geheugen: 8183,1 MB
Beschikbaar fysiek geheugen voor Lightroom: 8183,1 MB
Fysiek geheugen gebruikt door Lightroom: 1570,0 MB (19,1%)
Virtueel geheugen gebruikt door Lightroom: 1537,3 MB
Aantal GDI-objecten: 752
Aantal gebruikersobjecten: 2780
Aantal proceshandelingen: 2206
Cachegeheugengrootte: 7,0MB
Interne Camera Raw-revisie: 1001
Maximumaantal door Camera Raw gebruikte threads: 5
Camera Raw SIMD-optimalisatie: SSE2
Virtueel geheugen Camera Raw: 738MB / 4091MB (18%)
Fysiek geheugen Camera Raw: 739MB / 8183MB (9%)
Dpi-instelling systeem: 96 dpi
Bureaubladcompositie ingeschakeld: Ja
Schermen: 1) 1920x1080, 2) 1280x1024
Invoertypen: Multi-aanraking: Nee, Geïntegreerde aanraking: Nee, Geïntegreerde pen: Nee, Externe aanraking: Nee, Externe pen: Nee, Toetsenbord: Nee

Please let this be fixed soon, it is very frustrating and costs me too much time to manage my photo collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get this problem. I'm abble to make it happen usthe following sequence :

1. Go the map module
2. Select a group of photo that are already geotagged
3. Suppress the GPS coordinates of these photos

Now, if I drag a group of photos (or even a single photo) over the map, LR won't set the position.

Notes :
I had the map message before ugrading to 7.5 (from 7.4)
I've reinitialized the LR préférences, it didn't fix the problem (however it improved the LR performances !)

>>>
Version Lightroom Classic: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
Licence: Creative Cloud
Paramètre de langue: fr
Système d'exploitation : Windows 7  - Ultimate Edition
Version : 6.1.7601
Architecture de l'application : x64
Architecture du système : x64
Nombre de processeurs logiques: 8
Vitesse du processeur : 3,4 Ghz
Mémoire intégrée : 16351,1 Mo
Mémoire réelle disponible pour Lightroom : 16351,1 Mo
Mémoire réelle utilisée par Lightroom : 1469,2 Mo (8,9%)
Mémoire virtuelle utilisée par Lightroom : 1536,9 Mo
Nombre d'objets GDI : 830
Nombre d'objets utilisateur : 2222
Nombre de processus gérés : 1747
Taille de la mémoire cache : 337,9Mo
Révision interne Camera Raw: 1001
Nombre maximal de liens utilisé par Camera Raw  : 5
Optimisation SIMD de Camera Raw : SSE2,AVX
Mémoire virtuelle de Camera Raw: 615Mo / 8175Mo (7%)
Mémoire réelle de Camera Raw: 616Mo / 16351Mo (3%)
Paramètre PPP du système : 96 PPP
Composition sur le Bureau activée: Oui
Affichages : 1) 2560x1440
Types d'entrée: Tactile multipoint : Non, Tactile intégré : Non, Plume intégrée : Non, Tactile externe : Non, Plume externe : Non, Clavier : Non

Informations relatives au processeur graphique :
OpenGL: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 397.64
Renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Total Video Memory: 6144 MB

Dossier de l'application : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC
Chemin d'accès à la bibliothèque : C:\Workfiles\Catalogue\GlobalCat\GlobalCat-LR.lrcat
Dossier des paramètres : C:\Users\philippe\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Modules installés :
1) Adobe Stock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) HDR Efex Pro 2
5) Module externe de prise de vue en mode connecté Canon
6) Module externe de prise de vue en mode connecté Nikon

Marqueurs Config.lua: None

Adaptateur n° 1: Fournisseur : 10de
    Appareil : 1c03
    So

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A friend had the offset problem with LR 7.5 and Windows 10. A reinitialization of the LR preference fixed it (and as a bonus, improved the LR performance !).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Beardsworth: I do have both of those options (reverse address lookup) checked. And while the API change could indeed be the root cause, I'm pretty sure that the trigger was the 7.5 update. Geotagging was working flawlesssly with 7.4 .

Joop van den Eijnde: I have 16 GB and still I'm experiencing this issue. It's not a performance issue.

The issue was marked as "solved" when it was just me complaining and it looked like it was working fine, so I said "hey it's fixed" (but I was wrong - the issue came back later).

But now that more people have me-too'ed and posted since, I agree that this thread should be set back to "acknowledged" or whatever it is the tag for problems that have been reproduced on Adobe's end but not fixed yet. Otherwise I guess Adobe's engineers won't have a look at it.

Please G0apher , could you do that for us? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Beardsworth: I do have both of those options (reverse address lookup) checked. And while the API change could indeed be the root cause, I'm pretty sure that the trigger was the 7.5 update. Geotagging was working flawlesssly with 7.4 .

Joop van den Eijnde: I have 16 GB and still I'm experiencing this problem. It's not a performance issue.

The issue was marked as "solved" when it was just me complaining and it looked like it was working fine, so I said "hey it's fixed" (but I was wrong - the issue came back later). 

But now that more people have me-too'ed and posted since, I agree that this thread should be set back to "acknowledged" or something neutral. Otherwise I guess Adobe's engineers won't have a look at it.

Please G0apher , could you do that for us? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Carlos, at least for  me, this problem appeared with the 7.5 upgrade, I didn't have it with 7.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems silly to say, but it feels as if alternating the method of geotagging (change regularly between ctrl-click, right-click and drag) helps to make the geotagging work. I just placed about 30 geotags, with at most 1 to 3 retries. Also I noticed that one time I tried 3 times, I stopped, being disappointed. Then, after 5 seconds, the pin appeared after all. However, I'm sure it has not been "just" a delay issue in the past days.

In my LR forum thread johnrellis kindly referred me to a powerful plugin for LR (freeware) that can do geotagging. Didn't try it myself yet, but will do so if Adobe will not fix the present issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me too.

Windows 10
Core i7 7700K
32 Gb RAM
GTX 1080