Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Scrolling over folders in library module doesn't work

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I experienced a bug in LR scrolling behaviour within the library module. To describe the problem best, I recorded a screencast video with audio comment that I uploaded to my webserver:
http://www.silentcreek.de/lrbug/demo.avi
In short: Scrolling with the mousewheel over folders in LR's library module doesn't work properly.

Here is what I know:
1) The bug doesn't always occur. Sometimes scrolling works for a couple of days, but most times it doesn't, which is annoying, of course.
2) I could only reproduce this bug as shown in my demo video in the library module when trying to scroll with my mousewheel over the folders or publishing services. Everywhere else, it works fine.
3)The bug seems hardware independent: I experienced it on my laptop as well as my desktop (one Win 7 32bit, one Win 7 64bit; two different mice, one by MS one by Cherry).
4) I experienced this bug for quite a while with different versions of LR (currently 3.5, but the earliest version I used was 3.2)

I hope this helps to figure out the problem.

Thanks,

Timo

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012
Bug is fixed for me in LR 4 RC2.

Votes

Translate

Translate
56 Comments
People's Champ ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the problem in LR 4 Beta, even when booting is Safe Mode. I've had it in LR 3.6 as well. It started when I upgraded to Win 7 from XP.

Out of curiousity, what video cards are people using? Mine is NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hal, I don't see this as a video card issue (mine's an ATI Radeon 5750). Most of the people posting with the problem seem to be Win7 64bit, so it would seem to be one of those platform-specific Lightroom bugs.

In my own testing (though by no means extensive), the 'bug' can be created to order as posted earlier, but three conditions need to apply:

1. A round trip to Develop. If you open Lighroom in the Library module, and stay there, the scroll problem cannot be created. One trip into Develop and back, however, opens the door for the bug, but doesn't trigger it unless items 2 and 3 also apply.

2. Grid view needs to be active. Cannot trigger the bug when in Loupe view, and can get out of the bug by switching from Grid to Loupe.

3. A Publish Service collection needs to be opened. If it's open for the round-trip into Develop and back, the bug bites immediately on return (provided Grid view is active). If, however, you start the round-trip from either a Folder or Collection then there is no scroll problem.....until you click on a Publish Service collection.

That's how it works for me. Getting out of the bug is simply a matter or switching into Loupe view, or clicking on a folder or collection.

One other interesting aspect is that when you trigger the bug, the left-hand panel locks up completely from any scroll wheel action....but the right-hand panel allows you to scroll down a little way into the Metadata pane before it locks up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked in LR4beta, and it seems that the bug is less persistent. By that I mean that yes it can be created as above, but once you 'clear' it by either switching into Loupe or clicking on a folder or collection, the problem remains 'cleared' (even if you then click on a Publish Service again)....it only comes back following the next round-trip to Develop. In LR3 the problem will recur every time it is cleared if you click on a Publish Service again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I didn't see it as a video card issue, either, but figured it was worth an ask. 🙂

I don't need your condition 3 to trigger the bug. I have no publish services configured, and even removing the Publish Services section doesn't help.

In Loupe mode the bug is still there, but more subtle. The left panel will scroll unless the mouse cursor is over a disk drive line in the folders panel, and the right panel will scroll in fits and starts, where it seems to be stopped by fields that display a tool tip.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting Hal. Are you talking about 3.6 or the 4beta?

Using 3.6, I absolutely cannot create a scrolling problem when in Loupe view, and nor can I create a scrolling problem in Grid View unless I invoke one of my Publish Services. Interesting bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the bug for 3.6 and beta 4, just as described above. I even disabled tablet services and bug was gone, but came back after reboot??? Win 7 64bit. I just saw the addl comment, and in beta4, it's the same bug as 3.6, and is not clearable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my wifes computer, win 7 64bit Home prem I3cpu and she does NOT have the bug! I'm win 7 64bit ultimate I7cpu. I have a mid/high end nvidia card and an old wacom tablet with software installed, she is using the video from the I3 cpu and no graphics tablet. Also my very low end Gateway netbook and another computer I have access to does NOT have the bug. So all in all I'm 1 of 4 computers that have the bug, and it's the one I use for lightroom of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The top entry in this discussion notes that 3 people have this problem, but there are many more on this list. Wouldn't it help if each of you voted by clicking at the bottom of that entry?

I just did because I have the same problem with scrolling using Win 7 64-bit Professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeffrey!
Any news on this issue? I tested LR4 and the issue still persists unfortunately.

Timo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I tested Lightroom 4 (final) and can say now that Adobe has still not fixed this bug, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2012 Mar 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny bug. Use Lightroom since before version 1.0 with many diffrent machines and never seen this.

What's jumped at me is that both the Folders and Publish Services use that grouping widget (i.e. Volume browser).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem, too. Lightroom 4 64-Bit on Windows 7 64-Bit.

With the tablet pc input service disabled, the bug doesn't occur immediately when starting Lightroom. But when switching to the develop module and back to the grid view library, it happens again, so a proper fix is definitely required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my new ASUS i7 I have 3.6 and 4 and the only time it stops scrolling is in the right panel of develop module as I get to the detail section. every time. I have just upgraded laptops and ca say the it doesn't happen on my other one only the new one... Totally stumped about this and its very annoying and slows down my workflow too much.. BTW old laptop was 32 bit....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 months and this nasty bug hasn't been fixed. Pretty poor, no?
LR 3.6, Win 7/64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my up-to-date Lightroom 3.4.1 my mouse has suddenly stopped wheel-scrolling in the navigation folders area. The sidebar control still works. Any ideas? (Win 7 64bit up-to-date)

Relaunching sometimes fixes it for a while. Can't identify any event or action that triggers this.

Brian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problems with mouse wheel scrolling in LR4 (same problem I had in LR3)
After a short time use of a LR4, I must restart app because it is no possible to scrolling with mouse wheel. I must by over the edge of side panels border to scroling (or direct over the grouping panels: Navigator, Catalog, Folders, Collections, Publish Services not over the individual folders in catalog, presents, collections, etc... ). See image: http://www.photoshop.com/users/Pa4k/a...
If you wish I can make a video.
Sorry for my poor english

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded to LR4 beta and scrolling seems OK so far....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to LR 4 and the bug is STILL NOT FIXED!
I find this pretty annoying to say the least...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug is fixed for me in LR 4 RC2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I think you're right. I just tried and it seems to work now. I will have to test it further to make sure, it's really gone, but or now, I'd say it's fixed.

Maybe it helped that I eventually contacted Tom Hogarty (LR Product Manager) a while ago? Who knows... But anyway, if this issue is finally fixed, I'm happy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timo, tut mir leid, dir widersprechen zu müssen....

The issue is NOT solved in LR4.

On one machine scrolling works as it should until I activate the development-module and go back to grid-view.

On my second rig scrolling works partially. That means: hovering over a collection - works. Hovering over folders - not working.

Both Win 7/64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

are you using the latest Release Candidate LR 4.1 RC2? Because the bug definitely still occured in LR4.0 and also in LR4.1 RC1. However, since LR 4.1 RC2 I cannot reproduce it anymore. I can switch forth and back from develop module to the library as much as I want and scrolling works for me. And aside from the usual security updates I didn't change anything on my system since RC1.

Cheers,

Timo

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, my LR4 offers no updates whatsoever...
Do you have a DL-link for 4.1 RC2?

Would be extremely helpful.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find it here on Adobe Labs:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

The reason it's not distributed automatically is that it's still a release candidate. The final release is probably a few weeks ahead. But personally I think you're better off with the release candidate, because LR4.0 has some serious issues.

Cheers,

Timo

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timo,

many thanks ;)

Michael