• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Second Monitor initially not rendering image clearly.

Participant ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR 5, the image in my second monitor renders blurry as if the photo is out of focus although the image is clear as a bell in the main editing screen. If I click off lens corrections, and then reactivate it, the second monitor window clears up and renders the photo clearly.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014
This is fixed in Lightroom 5.5, which is now available. (There are several slightly different issues discussed in this thread, so to be specific, what has been fixed is the fact that when a photo is displayed in loupe view on the secondary monitor, it often appears blurry when advancing through photos in the Develop module.)

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
82 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here LR 5.3 for Mac 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone who has this issue should add their comments on the LR5.3 RC Blog here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Dec 13, 2013 Dec 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still there in version 5.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, still in 5.3 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR5 with dual monitors and recognize that the second monitor shows the picture blurred in the Loupe mode. I could not find a way to get the foto on the second monitor as sharp as it is shown on the first monitor.

If I switch the monitors (first monitor now second and second now first) the same thing happens; so the problem belongts to LR and not to the monitor configuration.
I am using Win8 and calibrated EIZO Monitors.

Somebody else reported the same problem with LR 5.2; so I ask you to test LR 5.2 in a dual monitor configuration and correct this very annoying problem. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with 5.3 a bit more, I think it's better than 5.2 was.

If I am in Develop module, and I view on second monitor at 100%, and then switch to another photo, the photo renders accurately much of the time. Not all of the time, but much of the time.

Still, the rendering can take time. The annoying thing is that just moving the detail slider causes it to render correctly IMMEDIATELY. So, I don't believe this is a processing / CPU issue. In any event, I have a high-end Windows 7 setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same issue. In LR 5.3 the image on the second monitor is blurry compared to the same image on the primary monitor. Has anyone found a work-around? Do we know if Adobe is aware and if they are working on a fix? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be in develop mode only. If going back to library mode the image goes sharp and then stays sharp in develop for THAT image. However, when switching to another image in develop mode, that new image then goes blurry. This is with LR 5.3 on Win7 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd I rebuilt 1:1 previews for set of images and still had blurry views on 2nd monitor when in develop mode. Only by going back to library mode did the image on the 2nd monitor go sharp, and then stayed sharp for that one image. Library mode seeming to temporarily "reset" to the clear image. As soon as changing images in develop mode, the 2nd monitor went blurry again. I'm running LR 5.3 on Win7 64 bit. Can you confirm? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue was present on my single monitor Windows 7 64 bit system with LR5.2, but NOT with LR5.3. At 1:1 view in the Develop module the secondary display loupe image (set to ~1920x1080) takes 4 to 5 seconds to stabilize and it always looks as sharp as the Library module. Since I'm not using an actual dual-monitor system the problem may still exist, but clearly something has changed for the better with LR5.3 on my system.

Try this test. Copy and paste 5-10 raw images that exhibit the issue into a new folder using Windows Explorer. Import the new folder into LR and let it build the 1:1 Previews. Don't apply any other Develop settings to the images. Do you still see the secondary display softness with these images when browsing at 1:1 view in the Develop module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried what you suggested Todd. After re-importing 10 raw images as new and having 1:1 previews built on import I am still seeing cases where the 2nd monitor in develop mode shows a blurry versus sharp image. By switching to library and back to develop, the 2nd monitor will show a sharp image. But then when browsing within develop mode, it reverts back to blurry at times. It's as if develop mode is pulling the wrong preview at times. You even see cases if you watch carefully where the 2nd monitor images IS initially sharp in develop and then pops back to the blurry image. This is very strange and frustrating. Now I can't trust what's shown on my 2nd monitor w/o double checking what is "real" versus this strange display anomaly. I started to delete a whole bunch of "soft" images using 2nd monitor and luckly found this issue first. I don't recall this with LR 5.2, although others have been reporting something similar way back to LR 4.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When browsing images in the Develop module it may take over 5 seconds for the image to stabilize. on the secondary display.

What happens if you select 'Live' from the top toolbar in the secondary display. I just tried this and I can review the images at 1:1 real-time by running the cursor over the filmstrip at the bottom of LR. Looks like a pretty quick way to review 1:1 sharpness of multiple images. I'm not sure what the difference is if any - It looks the same as the Develop Loupe view to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried the Live option, and it's interesting. Yes, when you mouse over a photo in the filmstrip it displays at full resolution on the second window, but select that photo, and it blurs and does not go back to full resolution.

The simplest way to force full resolution is to go to the Details tool. This on its on is sometimes enough, but otherwise, move the sharpening slider one notch and move it back and full resolution happens immediately. At least, that's how it is for me (Win 7).

Doesn't this indicate that the issue is actually quite a trivial one? Internally, some trigger is perhaps looping on a re-display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS, thanks for the tip about the Live option. I never knew / noticed it and it's very useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Live mode in the 2nd display appears to use preview data from different files than the Library previews. What's peculiar is that if the Library previews need updating it slows down Live mode when browsing and the 'Loading' icon appears. If I click on the image to lock it in the film strip and then switch to the Library module the 'Loading' icon pops up again, which indicates the 'Live' view Develop preview is in a different cache.

This was confirmed when I noticed one of the images looked different (sky color less deep blue) in the Library module and it did not build a new preview. I had to manually select 'Discard 1:1 Previews' and then 'Build 1:1 Previews.' Then the Library preview matched the Develop preview image perfectly.

I am also on a Windows 7 64 bit system and LR5.3 behaves fairly well concerning this issue. When browsing at 1:1 Zoom view in the Develop module I see the softness issue about every 25 or more images and then it seems to stick for one or two more and go away. Since it "comes and goes" so quickly I really can't troubleshoot what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought Lightroom 5.3 a few days ago. Imported photos and even though pin sharp on camera LCD blurry in lightroom. Not knowing if camera or mac I loaded photos onto old PC through Picasa and everything sharp! Need lightroom for RAW shots but its as if Im working on a 100kb photo not huge RAW file. Still learning Lightroom and this is making it a nightmare!
Any help would be appreciated. (Tried clarity but that just darkened the blur).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought latest lightroom a few days ago and all the photos are slightly blurry. Its like Im working on a 100kb file not a large RAW file. Photos sharp on camera LCD and as a test I downloaded photos to my old PC and ran through Picasa and all 100% sharp! I need Lightroom for RAW photos and since Im new to Lightroom this is making it really difficult. Tried clarity slider like someone suggested but this just darkens the blur. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also confirmed by the fact the image in develop mode never shows pixels.

Try this.
Select an image in the Library module.
Open the Loupe view in the second monitor.
Zoom in to 8:1 on both screens or until the pixels are large and defined.
Now switch to Develop module.

The pixels on the primary monitor are still well defined while the image on the second monitor is homogenized.

Lesson: Don't Trust the Image on the Second Monitor.... it is a fake, an interpretation, an interpolated foney.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not resolved in LR5.3. This whole LR5 story is a farce. Can't believe I can't trust my external monitor that's connected on my Surface Pro 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,
I have the same problem in LR 5.3 and Mac OS 10.9.2. Using two monitor is a very important feature and it's unusable with this refresh problem which make a blurry image.
Please correct this quickly !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it randomly also, on W7/64.
Not practical when I rely on the 1:1 view on second monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second Monitor is still blurry in LR5.4.

Why is this ongoing problem not fixed?
This Problem has been reported since version 5.0 and is still present. I wonder why it is still ignored. There are features added for a minority of users rather than bug fixing.

Is this the future aof adobe "Try enything in order to bind your customers to the Cloud" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's still there on my Win 7 64-bit version with lots of RAM and lots of processors. I do think it's slightly better, but it IS there.

Hopefully V6 will put paid to this once and for all.

BTW, if there is a processing issue, why not do one or more of:
1) Display a "loading, please wait..." message until the correct rendering is done.
2) Have a check box that enables / disables full rendering.
3) If the preference to create full size previews is on, I obviously want the best rendering, so do it even if it takes time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second monitor will NEVER be accurate. It is a rendering of the image at the given magnification. Prove it to yourself...

1) set the primary display to 8:1
2) set the second display to 8:1

Look at the pixels.

The primary display has big fat pixels - the second display is homogenized no pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I see that.
Why are they doing it like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate