• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Second Monitor initially not rendering image clearly.

Participant ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR 5, the image in my second monitor renders blurry as if the photo is out of focus although the image is clear as a bell in the main editing screen. If I click off lens corrections, and then reactivate it, the second monitor window clears up and renders the photo clearly.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014
This is fixed in Lightroom 5.5, which is now available. (There are several slightly different issues discussed in this thread, so to be specific, what has been fixed is the fact that when a photo is displayed in loupe view on the secondary monitor, it often appears blurry when advancing through photos in the Develop module.)

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
82 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, everybody reports the same problem, but does anyone know of a fix/ solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aside from the work around like making an adjustment to the sharpness, or switching back and forth between develop module and library module...

It is a very annoying problem at times and I wish Adobe would provide an update to fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. Funny, after all this time I never noticed that. I guess I don't go to 8:1 very often. I like the image on the second monitor better 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, why does it do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 5.4 64 bit on Win7 Home Premium S1
Amd Athlon, 8GB RAM

Given the breadth of systems observed I do not think this is hardware specific.

For me the image present in Loupe when loading is very blurred, it then shows as per the develop screen on primary module (good), then blurs out after a few seconds (bad). Other posters have mentioned moving a detail (or presumably any) slider will result in the loupe view on the secondary monitor becoming consistent with the first. I've noticed just clicking and dragging on the loupe view image causes it to return to be consistent with the primary screen in the develop module. This leaves me with little doubt that this is not only undesirable behaviour, but also a BUG.

This is completely ridiculous. One of the primary benefits of having the second screen is that you is that you can observe in Loupe view what you are doing in develop view. I can't believe such an elementary bug has slipped in to LR, and has survived for so long. Do they have anyone running tests with dual screens, and functioning eyes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am reposting a known issue, see here. http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

LR 5.4 64 bit on Win7 Home Premium S1
Amd Athlon, 8GB RAM

Problem: Prior to making any modification to a slider the image on a second monitor when in Loupe view is slightly blurred when compared to the main monitor's image when in Develop, both at the same magnification.

Many people have reported this issue, please see referred thread.

For me the image present in Loupe when loading is momentarily very blurred, it then shows as per the develop screen on primary module (good), then blurs somewhat after a few seconds (bad). I have built 1:1 previews, and have my jpeg preview set to full size etc. Other posters have mentioned moving a detail (or presumably any) slider will result in the loupe view on the secondary monitor becoming consistent with the first. I've observed this too, I've also noticed just clicking and dragging on the loupe view image causes it to return to being consistent with the primary screen in the develop module. This leaves me with little doubt that this is not only undesirable behaviour, but also a BUG.

Given the breadth of systems observed I do not think this is hardware specific. I also do not think it is hard to reproduce based on the diverse reporting documented on this website.

This is completely ridiculous! One of the primary benefits of having the second screen is that you is that you can observe in Loupe view what you are doing in develop view. I can't believe such an elementary bug has slipped in to LR, and has survived for so long. Do you have anyone running tests with dual screens?

Please address this long standing and fairly fundamental issue either with a work around (settings), or a proper code fix.

Thanks,
Iain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have anyone tried to rebuild the preview's.
It has worked for me....

Perhaps the 'older' previews are not compatible after the last software upgrade. Just an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem with a 2013 macbook pro using 2 connected monitors. Until I realized that this problem existed, I deleted many photos that I thought were out of focus! Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can help when viewing images in the Library module. The issue being reported here is in the Develop module, which preview rebuilding does not seem to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 31, 2014 May 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tood, thanks for the information. I had the problem in the Library module and in the Developer module. After rebuilding the previews and with all new images I have newer get the problem again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:
It is true, if I select the image in the Develop module, the image is not sharp on the second screen. If I switch to Library mode and back to Develop mode the image is sharp.
If I select the picture in Library mode (as I always use this workflow) and the switch to Develop mode the image on the second monitor is sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue occurs when "reviewing" multiple images inside the Develop module. I suggested a work-around here: https://forums.adobe.com/message/5836...

Until this issue is fixed confine your "review" of images to the Library module and then add any images that need further Develop adjustments to the Quick Collection (hit 'B' key). After you've reviewed all images in the group you are working on, select the Quick Collection (CTRL + B key), and switch to the Develop module. The first Develop adjustment you make will cause the image to sharpen same as in the Library view.

I agree it's not the best solution, but it should help until the issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for all this info. I am able to reproduce this problem as well, and have reported the issue to the Lightroom engineers.

Note that there are several slightly different issues discussed in this thread, so to be specific, what I have reproduced and reported is the fact that when a photo is displayed in loupe view on the secondary monitor, it often appears blurry when advancing through photos in the Develop module.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

Thanks for raising the issue with the engineers. If you can please just ask them why the image on the second monitor is a rendering of the image on the primary monitor?

Why will the primary monitor display pixelation at high magnifications while the second monitor never shows pixels even at extremely high magnifications. If it is because the program is 'rendering' the image through interpolation then please STOP. It will slow things down and introduce problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,
I think you may be missing the point of a lot of people on this thread and others.

The second monitor is not accurate, It is not the same image as the primary monitor. When editing, only the primary monitor can be trusted to show the true result of editing and adjustments.

So, the question is "What good is the second monitor" ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 06, 2014 Jun 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue only occurs in the Develop module on my Windows 7 system running LR5.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why will the primary monitor display pixelation at high magnifications while the second monitor never shows pixels even at extremely high magnifications."

I am not actually able to reproduce this problem. Neither the primary nor secondary monitors interpolate at high magnifications in my testing. Can you provide some info about what Lightroom version you're using, what operating system you're using, what file type you're using, and any other relevant info you can think of?

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my post 9 days ago, it contains details of my system. From the wide reporting I do not think this is a platform specific issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot from my Windows 7 system that displays the "softness" jpowens refers to in the secondary loupe image at 8:1 Zoom View. It can be demonstrated on my single monitor system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two screen captures for the same image displayed in Library and Develop modules. The Library module shows the pixelation and the Develop does not.

I am using an i7 intel processor, nVidia 560Ti, Windows 8.1, LR 5.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixed in Lightroom 5.5, which is now available. (There are several slightly different issues discussed in this thread, so to be specific, what has been fixed is the fact that when a photo is displayed in loupe view on the secondary monitor, it often appears blurry when advancing through photos in the Develop module.)

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben it is indeed fixed at least on my system!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I see is not addressed. The second monitor image is not the same as the primary. When zoomed in the secondary monitor does not and never will show the pixels. This tells me that this is a rendering of the file at various magnifications. The image on the primary monitor does show the pixels.

I want to see the same image on the secondary monitor as the primary down to those tiny pixels.

So, no it is not "fixed"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't dismiss this being fixed based on what you're seeing at Zoom View sizes larger than 1:1 (i.e. 2:1 through 11:1). It's working on my Windows 7 64bit system, but it can take up to 4 seconds for the secondary loupe to render when browsing images in the Develop module. You may still see differences in sharpness between the primary and secondary displays when using 'Fit' or 'Fill' Zoom View settings. This is due to slight differences in the 2nd interpolation used to create the Fit & Fill rendered image. Try using the image pyramid Zoom View settings 1:8, 1:4, 1:3, and 1:2.

Votes

Translate

Translate