• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Second Monitor initially not rendering image clearly.

Participant ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR 5, the image in my second monitor renders blurry as if the photo is out of focus although the image is clear as a bell in the main editing screen. If I click off lens corrections, and then reactivate it, the second monitor window clears up and renders the photo clearly.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014
This is fixed in Lightroom 5.5, which is now available. (There are several slightly different issues discussed in this thread, so to be specific, what has been fixed is the fact that when a photo is displayed in loupe view on the secondary monitor, it often appears blurry when advancing through photos in the Develop module.)

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
82 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me this happens in LR 5.2 RC, and I can change any of quite a few settings (not just lens corrections) and the image re-renders clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this in LR 5.2 final version and it specifically happens in the develop module:
With a newly imported photograph:

Go in "Library" module and choose "Loupe" on the second screen
Zoom at 1:1: you can see a high resolution image
Switch to "Develop" module while keeping the 1:1 zoom image on the second screen: the image goes in low resolution.

The problem occurs with 9 over 10 photographs. Sometimes, it will be solved by switching between Libray and Develop back and forth, but not always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am observing the same problem randomly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. I can get the image to update correctly by fiddling with any Detail slider. It then updates immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a post in the Adobe forums about this.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5837287

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can observe the same bug. It doesn't happen all the time, though. Only when in zoomed in state on the primary display.

I have also noticed that zooming out and then zooming in again on the secondary display doesn't fix the problem (the image remains soft) if I have zoomed in on the primary display. However, the problem never happens when I'm in a zoomed out state on the primary display : in that case, the zoomed in image on the secondary display becomes shortly soft while browsing and then immediately sharp again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue can be demonstrated on systems with a single monitor:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/58361...

I see can confirm the problem on my Windows 7 SP1 system with LR5.2 Final.

Someone with a dual-monitor system should try LR5.3 RC to see if the issue still exists. If so report it at that the LR5.3 RC Blog site here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is present on my installation as well. There are two things going on...

LR 5.2
Win 8.1 / 64
Desktop two Dell 2007 monitors
Invidia 560
16GB Ram
i7 processor

1) When in Library Mode the second monitor image is the same as the primary monitor. At resolutions of 2:1 or higher the pixels on both monitors are visible. When this is changed to the Develop Module the pixels on the second monitor are homogenized. It is very obvious at resolutions of 4:1 or higher.

This implies that the image on the second monitor is not the same as the one being shown on the primary monitor at the critical point of editing and performing adjustments.

If this were being done during slide shows or browsing it would be alright. If it worked!

2) However, it is only occurring when brousing in the Develop Module. This is a common practice after importing files to a folder, and going from one image to the next. When zoomed in and moving to the next file it displays blurry.

Judging from the actions described in previous posts this is because the second monitor is building an interpolated version of the image on the primary monitor. If that is not recognized as being at a high resolution, then the interpolated image will be interpolated from a thumb nail.

Go to this forum for more detail.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5839149#5839149

Just stop the interpolation nonsense and use the real file! Easier for you better for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem 3 monitors here. you make a change in develop and boing sharp image again

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR 5.2 I open a foto in develop and loupe mode and get a sharp picture on the first monitor while on the second monitor the picture is not sharp. It only gets sharp after I do some manipulation for example change the clarity.

If I switch the monitors (first monitor now second and second now first) the same thing happens; so the problem belongts to LR and not to the monitor configuration.
I am using Win8 and calibrated EIZO Monitors.

It is very annoying first to have to edit the picture before getting it sharp on the second monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you try to just zoom in and out in the photo on the primary monitor? It helps me, and at least it's a little less work than make some manipulations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give me my pixels back!!!

The second monitor issue is a real pain. It is not even good as a presentation monitor for clients which was a nice way for them to talk and not have to look over my shoulder. Now I don't dare have them look at the second monitor image because it is just not at all accurate.

When in Develop mode it is soft. If zoomed in to 2:1 or higher there is NO pixelation! I want to see the true Image not a "rendering" of the image. This is a tool for editing, cataloging, presenting, printing, etc.... Decisions are being made based on what is on the screen.

I shoot RAW and edit in this tool because I want to have that control. If I wanted to relinquish control I would shoot jpg.

The same goes for this software. I want to see the true image down to the pixels, and not the software representation of the image.

It can't be that difficult to simply use the same image on two monitors. It is most likely easier to do than re-construct the image in an interpolated resolution for a second monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

That is a good work-around, with limited effort and impact. It would be great if we did not have to use one.

There is also the issue of the second monitor interpolation of the images. Which is the root cause of the blurry secondary display. When zooming in there should be pixels. Big square blocks with jagged lines.

While in Develop mode I use the second monitor in two ways.

1) l keep it at "Fit" setting in loupe while I zoom in on the primary monitor to make adjustments. This gives me the holistic and detail views.

2) When working with the client I will have them view the secondary display while doing the adjustments on the primary monitor.

What I need is the ability to choose which type of images are used for the secondary display. Homogenized soft edged interpolations, or Real files with defined lines and actual pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mike
Zooming on the primary monitor does not change anything on the second monitor. I really have to do some manipulation to get the picture sharp on the second monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any setting change made in the Develop panel causes the secondary display image to become sharp. The solution for now is to not use the Develop module for simply "browsing" images. I agree that the issue needs to fixed since the image view above 1:1 (2:1, 4:1, etc.) is interpolated, or as you say "homogenized."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd
You're lucky, I have the same issue in the Library panel as well. I have to browse in the Develop panel so that I can make an adjustment to view accurately at 100% to know whether I am in focus. Slows me down a lot in my initial reviews and is a right pain in the butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the dual-monitor posts I've seen so far concern issues with the Develop module only. What are you experiencing in the Library module, blurry, slow, other....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blurry. It started up sometime recently, perhaps with 5.1 or 5.2. I lost some shots because I thought they were completely out of focus and so I deleted them, when in fact they were perfectly OK.
I should add that I am working on Fuji X-Trans files, and I believe they render slower than others.
On the other hand, I have had problems with second monitor rendering since V5. For example, if I am in the crop tool, it NEVER rendered correctly until I close the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you rendering 1:1 Previews on Import and rebuilding the 1:1 Previews after editing the images?

I see no issues on the secondary display when using the Crop tool with my Win 7 system. It my be a problem unique to the Fuji X-Trans raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always wait for the 1:1 previews to complete before I start reviewing.
How do you "rebuild the 1:1 previews after editing"?
I'm also noticing lately, was probably there before, that when I crop the second monitor does not accurately render the crop until I leave the crop tool - it's out sometimes by 100s of pixels. Also inconvenient, especially when doing a close cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select ALL (CTRL + A) in the folder that you are editing images in and go to Library> Previews> Build 1:1 Previews. It will only rebuild the previews for images that have changes, so no worries with ALL is selected.

I don't see the crop issue, but then I'm not using a true dual monitor system (just a 2nd window). Maybe others with dual-monitors have this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm the workflow as you describe it. Following your script I went through ten photos with the same result.

Even after switching back and forth between Library and Develop mode several times, the image on the second monitor is NEVER as sharp as the one on the primary screen while in the Develop module.

The rule for me from now on will be to only trust the Primary monitor while in the Develop module. The secondary monitor will NEVER present a true image in the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem still exists in version 5.3 RC. I installed it this week to check. Reading all your feedback, I am now a bit worried about the fact that we may not see on the second monitor the true image, but only whatever Lightroom manages to display.

Of course, for photographers, being as truthful to the original file as possible is paramount?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephane,

Being truthful to the original file? That is a tough one. I think I understand your point and I totally agree. The image on the second monitor should be pixel for pixel the same image as the primary monitor.

We are talking about the Develop module of an editing and cataloging software. So obviously editing is major part of this software's basic functionality. Since starting to use this software I have had very little reason to go into Photoshop for any adjustments.

The concept of using a RAW editor vs. a Pixel editor is not lost on me. The advantages are huge. BUT, I don't want to be fooled by a "Bait and Switch" after realizing the adjustments presented on the second monitor are not what I get with the REAL file.

Votes

Translate

Translate